Referees

Just seen on the BBC that the referees are to get a 20% rise for officiating in the Championship and it is to be backdated. Don't think this will have much impact upon the crap decisions.

The referees are, by and large, good for this level. Yes there's the odd mistake but the standard is more than adequate. You'd think fans would have bigger things to worry about than refs getting a wage rise.

Considering most fans don't know the laws of the game or the simplest grasp of the offside rule I don't think they are best placed to comment.

I'm fed up with people going mental at linesman for making the right decision because they have no idea. Don't get me wrong I go mental at them too but only when it's an appalling decision.

I have felt the refs have gotten worse this year. I think it is mainly because they are having to officiate in bigger stadiums with bigger crowds. Mainly in the big games at home to Hearts and Rangers and away to Rangers there have been some utterly bizarre decisions. Things like it clearly coming off the defenders and a goal kick being awarded. Or players being wrestled to the ground by the last man and nothing being awarded.

So yeah, it is a surprise to me they are getting a wage rise as I think they have been worse this season.

I don't actually think the rise is unreasonable when you put it in context. I have a copy of an old SFL handbook from 2005-06 so here are the rates then, now, the uplifted rates, and the future rates.

L1 & L2 had grown just £10 in 10yrs and was huge disparity Premiership v Championship.

..... '05-06 | '14-15 | Uplift | '16-17

Prem (£800) | £840 | £840 | £850

Champ £170 | £195 | £240 | £260

L1 £140 | £150 | £170 | £180

L2 £140 | £150 | £160 | £165

It's certainly not a lucrative side-line... how many matches will a League 1 or 2 official get in a season, perhaps 25? That's £4,000 over a 10-month season or to put it another way £100 a week, for 2 training nights + 1 matchday. Cup-ties and non-league games might bump it up another £1,000 or so?

Many, often most, of the players will be getting more than the referee for similar time.

It's certainly not a lucrative side-line... how many matches will a League 1 or 2 official get in a season, perhaps 25? That's £4,000 over a 10-month season or to put it another way £100 a week, for 2 training nights + 1 matchday. Cup-ties and non-league games might bump it up another £1,000 or so?

Many, often most, of the players will be getting more than the referee for similar time.

I would expect the players to get more than the ref. Its the players we pay to watch

I have felt the refs have gotten worse this year. I think it is mainly because they are having to officiate in bigger stadiums with bigger crowds. Mainly in the big games at home to Hearts and Rangers and away to Rangers there have been some utterly bizarre decisions. Things like it clearly coming off the defenders and a goal kick being awarded. Or players being wrestled to the ground by the last man and nothing being awarded.

So yeah, it is a surprise to me they are getting a wage rise as I think they have been worse this season.

Most Championship referees are those who ref in the Premier league, so the bigger stadiums shouldn't really be an issue.

I would expect the players to get more than the ref. Its the players we pay to watch

With no ref we wouldn't be paying to see anyone play.

The jump from the Championship to the SPL is pretty shocking. I don't know how they can justify being paid so much more/so much less (take your pick). Surely the wages should be pretty similar in every league, if not the same? Paying a League 2 ref far less surely opens up a can of worms in the sense that their poorer wages are an excuse for poor decisions. The size of the crowds shouldn't make a difference imo. In all honesty, I would rather ref in front of 20,000 than 200. I think the lower league refs will have a harder job, because they will hear absolutely everything that is directed at them.

In an ideal world, there would be money available to make being a ref a full time job. If there were 25/30 referees on a living wage where Reffing could be a full-time job, then the standard would surely rise. If you were paid the same amount in every division, then there would be no excuse for poorer officiating the lower the division you went. I can't see that ever happening mind you!

I'd imagine that the huge discrepancy in pay rates for refereeing in the top flight as opposed to elsewhere, is a remnant of the top flight being a separate body, in the SPL days.

What's shone a light on it this year is that there are now many big, high profile, televised, well attended games outside the top flight, making the arrangement appear even more bizarre.

While there's been moaning about getting paid peanuts for refereeing Hearts v Rangers games this season though, nobody's objected to the relatively vast money on offer for officiating when Hamilton play Ross County.

The referees are, by and large, good for this level. Yes there's the odd mistake but the standard is more than adequate. You'd think fans would have bigger things to worry about than refs getting a wage rise.

Considering most fans don't know the laws of the game or the simplest grasp of the offside rule I don't think they are best placed to comment.

I'm fed up with people going mental at linesman for making the right decision because they have no idea. Don't get me wrong I go mental at them too but only when it's an appalling decision.

^^^^Refs at amateur level ^^^^

The jump from the Championship to the SPL is pretty shocking. I don't know how they can justify being paid so much more/so much less (take your pick). Surely the wages should be pretty similar in every league,

Imagine it dates back to SPL's foundation.

It'd agree separate rates, and refs would (justifiably) want % of new TV / sponsor deals.

2 training sessions! Some guys are training twice a day - most at that level will do 5/6 training sessions a week - all told it is probably less than living wage when you take all the hours into account !!!

Archived