Great British Railway Journeys

peasy23

Don't expect Michael Portillo to have many fans of his politics on here, but his railway journey series are great viewing IMO. New series started on Monday and he has been in Scotland all week. Started in Ayr and finishes in Edinburgh tonight, well worth getting on iPlayer.

• 3 years later...

The run that has been on since New Year has been excellent, and fair play to Portillo for doing everything he has been asked to, like going on the world's fastest zipline, a passenger in a bobsleigh at Lake Placid, and doing the CN Tower edgewalk. Interesting and informative as usual.

This is a slight guilty pleasure of mine. The Scotland based ones are indeed great to watch for a railway geek like me.
I assume he’s a massive Tory but tbh I’m happy to blank that out and let him take me on adventures [emoji7]

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 14:54, flyingscot said:

Don't know a huge amount of Portillo's politics but he's a decent presenter.

he was a horrendous tory,watching him lose his seat live on election night in 1997 was an absolute joy.as a politician he was absolutely vile

hes reinvented himself well,its a great show.

• 1 year later...
On 09/01/2015 at 14:24, peasy23 said:

Don't expect Michael Portillo to have many fans of his politics on here, but his railway journey series are great viewing IMO. New series started on Monday and he has been in Scotland all week. Started in Ayr and finishes in Edinburgh tonight, well worth getting on iPlayer.

I was searching for a thread for the programme which is on BBC iplayer now, but I’m shite at searching on here.

Michael Portillo is the business as a presenter and narrator.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2020 at 20:14, Scary Bear said:

I was searching for a thread for the programme which is on BBC iplayer now, but I’m shite at searching on here.

Michael Portillo is the business as a presenter and narrator.

One of the best presenters of the go and comes across as a decent fellow able to laugh at himself.

The episode where he speaks to the Spanish kids escaping Franco who knew his parents was outstanding.

Compelling viewing.