The NHS...It's not all their fault!

What damage? If folk are stupid enough to stand next to a smoker rather than move away, then they deserve the little damage they receive IMO! It's banned in public places and (supposed to be) at entrances, so I don't see how folk couldn't go around their daily business without avoiding second hand smoke tbh. I'll grant you children right enough. But not every smoker smokes around their bairns.

Non-smoker FWIW.

Yeah it's the non-smokers who should move out of the smokers way.

The sooner smokers are pushed to the edges of society with their disgusting filthy addiction the better. Smoking should be banned anywhere there are non-smokers, especially since we don't want to end up smelling like complete tinks or have to look at their disgusting yellow teeth.

Smokers are fannies.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sooner smokers are pushed to the edges of society with their disgusting filthy addiction the better. Smoking should be banned anywhere there are non-smokers, especially since we don't want to end up smelling like complete tinks or have to look at their disgusting yellow teeth.

Smokers are fannies.

Why should smokers have to move out of the way of people? If you have an issue with smoking then don't approach a smoker. It's quite simple. What gives non-smokers the right to have right of way as it were? And why should smokers be excluded from areas where there are non-smokers? They wouldn't be allowed to light up anyway, so what difference does it make? If you are implying that standing beside a smoker (who isn't smoking) makes you start to smell of smoke then you're talking sh*te tbh. Smokers are being pushed further and further to the edge of society. The price for cigs is disgusting. They aren't allowed to smoke in any public areas. And they are the first port of call for the blame game when it comes to health. Smoking is generally used as a scapegoat. The look on my Doctor's face when I say "no", if he asks me if I smoke, is quite amusing. And see the cogs going in his head for another reason as to why I am unwell.

I don't sympathise with anyone starting smoking nowadays, as they are aware of the risks, and quite frankly I think they are complete tubes to start. I do sympathise with the older generation though as it was pushed as a healthy item when they first appeared on the scene. ANd it's not as if you can give up an addiction at the drop of a hat.

Does your seethe stand with all addictions? Or is it just this one in particular?

Smokers are fannies.

Bit racist no?

Smokers are fannies.

Reported for racism

Smoking brings in huge tax revenues which helps fund the NHS. Also, smokers die much sooner than non-smokers, saving the NHS lots of money looking after them as they drag things out.

The sooner we start executing people at the age of 60 in the name of the NHS the better IMO.

Smokers and fatties need to take some responsibility, imo. Think of the money the NHS could better channel into other areas if it didn't have to deal with medical problems that stem directly from cancer sticks and obesity.

Whenever I have used the health service though I always feel it's incredibly humbling, even if you do occasionally have to wait for a fair bit.

Who'd staff the wards if we got rid of all the fatties and smokers?

As you've admitted being the astrology fantasist Paulo Sergio/Aurora Borealis on numerous threads. A denial seems a bit pointless.

That MS paint picture of Paolo Sergio is still one of my all time favourite posts on here.

I've been at A&E with a sore head. I was sent there by the doctor for a CT scan and a lumbar puncture to rule out a bleed. Sometimes they do need to be investigated.

Staved finger, I'll grant you.

Someone I know has had a headache for 2 days, was sent to the hospital by his GP today. He ended up going hysterical with the pain, throwing up because he was in so much agony. After an 8 hour wait a doctor attended to him and after quite a lot of tests they think it could be meningitis or a small bleed in the brain :o .

F'kin horrific.

Someone I know has had a headache for 2 days, was sent to the hospital by his GP today. He ended up going hysterical with the pain, throwing up because he was in so much agony. After an 8 hour wait a doctor attended to him and after quite a lot of tests they think it could be meningitis or a small bleed in the brain :o .

F'kin horrific.

Sounds more like the latter which exactly how my Mum described hers anuerism (sp).

Meningitis would develop other symptoms such as fever and drifting in and out of consciousness after 8hours.......(the bacterial version).

Latest "Inside Health" on Radio 4 covers a bit on A&E

Media coverage has suggested demand is up as people flock to A&E because they are finding it difficult to see their GP. But talk to people working in A&E departments and it soon becomes clear that the problem is not so much inappropriate attenders, as an unprecedented number of very poorly people, many of whom require admission.

I caught up with Professor of Emergency Medicine, Tim Coates, on his mobile in his busy department at Leicester Royal Infirmary.

Coates

I think we’re the same as the rest of the NHS, it is extremely busy at the moment with a lot of sick patients coming through emergency departments all over the country. We’re seeing a lot of mainly elderly people and I think probably the single biggest group would be those with infections of various types, either respiratory infections or perhaps infections of the urinary system.

Porter

So you’re not being overwhelmed by inappropriate people, these are people who really do need to be looked after?

Coates

No I’m afraid the people that we’re getting through are people that need to come into hospital and need a hospital bed, and that’s a lot of the problem. The people that are inappropriate in an emergency department are actually fairly easy to deal with, you know if you can with the sniffles that will take a doctor a very short amount of time to deal with. But elderly patients with lots of different things wrong with them who need to come into hospital are very complex, that takes a lot of time. We always get a spike at this time of year, particularly the first couple of weeks after the Christmas and New Year break but it’s just that much more intense than previous years. We have a population that is ageing, this is a trend that the NHS is going to have to perhaps do things differently. I think the emergency care system is a bit like a bucket full of water and you don’t have to pour very much more water in when the bucket’s full for the bucket to overflow. We don’t have spare capacity in the system.

Porter

Looking forward now, how long do you think this crisis period’s going to go on for, can you see some light at the end of the tunnel?

Coates

At the moment, at the coal face in the emergency department, it’s very difficult to talk about light at the end of the tunnel. There is often several weeks of high pressure on the emergency care system at the beginning of January, perhaps sometimes going into February. So I think we’ve got a number of weeks of high pressure left.

Porter

And have you had to bring in extra staff and things to cope?

Coates

Yes we’ve got extra staff overnight, opening as many extra beds – I think it’s the same in – again talking to colleagues up and down the country, almost every hospital in the UK is doing all of those things.

Porter

Tim, we’ll let you get back to the coal face, thank you very much.

Meningitis sounds scary. Pretty sure a young man died in his sleep at home in Glasgow, quite recently.

Archived