Alloa Vs Rangers

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully it's pissing down.

Big ask for Alloa to get anything here, a win and 2 draws from 3 games against Rangers is better than anybody expected and you'd think Rangers will now be very keen to get one over on us. I could see something like a 3-0 here. We have done very well at home against all the big teams though, beating Hibs and Rangers, drawing with Rangers and losing very narrowly to Hibs and Hearts in the other games, so the boys will know they are capable of at least giving Rangers a tough afternoon. And, unlike the Petrofac match, we won't have to field reserve and flu stricken players for this one.

Aye, that's the score that occurred to me too. Other than needing the points, can't say I'm too fussed. The Petrofac semi was the important one for me, and we've got two points more from Rangers than anyone expected.

Whatever happens, they won't lie down, which is a great thing to be able to say about your team :thumsup2

The Petrofac semi was the important one for me, and we've got two points more from Rangers than anyone expected.

That's a strange thing to say, given your team is currently in the relegation zone. Then again, what are Alloa's main ambitions? to remain a Championship team or win the Challenge Cup?

If Alloa got relegated but won the trophy would that be a fair trade? Genuine question. I'm sure you'll say 'why not win the trophy and stay in the league?', but, if it were one or the other, which would you choose?

I'm guessing stay in the league but maybe I'm misjudging how important it would be to Alloa fans to win the cup.

That's a strange thing to say, given your team is currently in the relegation zone. Then again, what are Alloa's main ambitions? to remain a Championship team or win the Challenge Cup?

If Alloa got relegated but won the trophy would that be a fair trade? Genuine question. I'm sure you'll say 'why not win the trophy and stay in the league?', but, if it were one or the other, which would you choose?

I'm guessing stay in the league but maybe I'm misjudging how important it would be to Alloa fans to win the cup.

Personally for me if I had to pick one it would be staying in this league, Winning the cup would be a great achievement given how well we've played in it and the teams we've beaten to get there but the longer we can stay in this league the stronger a team we can build with players we can attract.

If we went down I don't think the club would be fussed IMO. If we get the bad weather forecast I hope we don't see a repeat of the damage that seen the railway end shut for a few months.

If we went down I don't think the club would be fussed IMO. If we get the bad weather forecast I hope we don't see a repeat of the damage that seen the railway end shut for a few months.

Seriously mate, we are currently virtually every third week or so playing the likes of Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in front of near enough capacity crowds at home as well as experiencing big crowds and atmosphere on away days but you dont think the club would be fussed at dropping down a league back to the obscurity and mundane games against Stranraer, Stennie and Brechin (no disrespect to any of these clubs by the way) in front of 350-400 folk??

Its a no brainer for me and with the financial incentives of staying in the Championship another season i would imagine it is for the Club also, as much as i would love us to win the cup, if it was a choice of losing the final but surviving in the league i would take staying up every time.

If you take away rangers, hibs and hearts the attendances are roughly the same we would get in league 1. By the time you pay for the extra stewarding and police etc the profit wouldn't be as much as people think. We already have the money from the indodrill deal regardless of what happens and with the likelihood of 2 of the big 3 going up I'm not too bothered about the so called financial benefits of staying up.

Its a no brainer for me and with the financial incentives of staying in the Championship another season i would imagine it is for the Club also, as much as i would love us to win the cup, if it was a choice of losing the final but surviving in the league i would take staying up every time.

Exactly this. Otherwise we might as well give up on the league and concentrate on the cup. If we stay up it will be seen as a far greater achievement than playing in and possibly winning the petrofac cup final. Don't get me wrong it will be a great day out in April as it was the previous finals we've been in but it pails into insignificance compared to staying in the Championship for another season. And we could still have Hibs and Rangers in this league next season.

Don't know about the financial argument whether it is better for us to be in this league or lower but surely we should strive to be playing in as high a league as possible. Seems to work ok for Dumbarton.

If you take away rangers, hibs and hearts the attendances are roughly the same we would get in league 1. By the time you pay for the extra stewarding and police etc the profit wouldn't be as much as people think. We already have the money from the indodrill deal regardless of what happens and with the likelihood of 2 of the big 3 going up I'm not too bothered about the so called financial benefits of staying up.

Think we just have to agree to disagree on this neebor.

Its not just all about the Financial aspect but even in respect of this yes Policing and Stewarding costs have risen but on the other side of the coin being in the championship brings extra revenue from TV (As little as it is i admit), Sponsorship- i would imagine there is not many home games this season that the Hospitality Facilities have not been fully utilised, would this be the same in the 1st Division,i doubt it and if so it would be at reduced rates. Your argument about taking away the big three that attendances would be roughly the same in the 1st Division does not add up for me from a financial aspect because all the home attendances alone against the big three would probably amount to more than all our home game attendances over a season in the 1st Division.

Also purely from a footballing point of view surely you want to be watching the team playing against the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Falkirk and even Oueen of the South as opposed to Arbroath, Stranraer, Brechin, Peterhead (no offence intended again to these clubs) and the like, usually with zero atmosphere. Also if we went down, the team would suffer, the likes of Gordon, Meggart, Spence, Buchanan and probably McCord have shown they are capable at Championship level and would easily find other clubs and we would be left with mediocre playesr in a mediocre league.

For me where we are just now should be embraced by the club and us as supporters, we have had so many years watching dross in dross leagues in front of what seems like a man and is dog at times, i feel for club Alloa's size everything should be done to maintain our status in this division, just my opinion offcourse.

I was talking about our fans songs, not yours mate.

Plenty of "f**k the IRA" coming from the away end from where i was, Then again that's acceptable to a Rangers fan since the IRA were a terrorist group which is completely relevant to football. :rolleyes:

Plenty of "f**k the IRA" coming from the away end from where i was, Then again that's acceptable to a Rangers fan since the IRA were a terrorist group which is completely relevant to football. :rolleyes:

Cant say I heard any of that myself tbh...

Cant say I heard any of that myself tbh...

Could've been hard to hear from the Clackmannan road end but from where I was in the main stand it was definitely sung by them even the people i was with were commenting on it and how embaressing it was.

Archived