Top Albums of 2015

NotThePars

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my subscription issue of Mojo through the post yesterday. End of the year "best of" list included.

I've always been very critical of people who reckon that there's no good music being made these days or that a particular year has been bad for music but after reading that top 50, I found so few albums that I've actually enjoyed. I don't get the hype surrounding the Julia Holter album. I actively dislike Joanna Newsom. I'm going to go poacher turned gamekeeper and say that I havent particulary enjoyed many albums this year.

So in no particular order:

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit

Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free

Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear

The Lovely Eggs - This Is Our Nowhere

Seth Avett and Jessica Lea Mayfield - Sing The Songs Of Elliott Smith

Houndmouth - Little Neon Lights.

Was pretty disappointed with the efforts from Sleater Kinney and The Decemberists this year.

So, what's this Benjamin Clementine record like? I've heard the first track and it reminded me of Antony and the Johnsons. Which is a good thing.

Excellent. It continues in the same sort of vibe throughout. Vocally he's like a male Nina Simone, in my opinion. One of my albums of the year.

Excellent. It continues in the same sort of vibe throughout. Vocally he's like a male Nina Simone, in my opinion. One of my albums of the year.

It really is a terrific record. I'm going to stick with Antony and the Johnsons as my comparisons. It's a beautiful record.

It really is a terrific record. I'm going to stick with Antony and the Johnsons as my comparisons. It's a beautiful record.

Just listened to the I Am A Bird Now for the first time in ages, and I do agree with your comparisons.

1. Amanecer - Bomba Estéreo

2. Wiggle Room - Drug Cabin

3. Depression Cherry - Beach House

4. L'apéro avant la galette - Le Gouffre

5. Beat the champ - The Mountain Goats

6. Lurid Glow - Reptar

7. What For? - Toro y Moi

8. Solid Gold Cowboys - Unlikely Friends

9. Palenco - Palenco

10. West Kirby County Primary - Bill Ryder-Jones

Updated top ten.

Albums from this year I'm about to check out:

Dawes: All Your Favourite Bands

Ezra Furman: Perpetual Motion People

Seth Avett and Jessica Lea Mayfield Sing The Songs of Elliott Smith

Big fan of Grimm Grimm's Hazy Eyes Maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't imagine this list will change much now -

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit..

Ezra Furman - Perpetual Motion People

Clutch - Psychic Warfare

Jeff The Brotherhood - Wasted On The Dream

Frank Turner - Positive Songs For Negative People

The Dead Weather - Dodge And Burn

Albert Hammond Jr - Momentary Masters

IAMDYNAMITE - Wasa Tusa

Silversun Pickups - Better Nature

Quite a few other albums that could have made it too,(EODM, Surfer Blood, Dead Sara, The Decemberists, Death Cab....) been a good year for my music collection.

They're all Yanks(shouldn't forget the Aussie too), just the one British artist there. :unsure2:

Edit: Started remembering other albums, I should really keep a list! :lol:

I've had Courtney Barnett's album on repeat in the car for the past fortnight. It's still holding up several months on.

Nobody cares about the "The Grammys" but if that awful beige c**t James Bay gets the Best New Artist (or whatever it's called) ahead of her, then I'll up sticks and move to Raqqa.

Going to list my final, ultimate, top 5 albums of 2015 right after this colon:

Top 5 albums:

1. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think...: Can't really explain why I like this so much. Authenticity, humour and solid songwriting is a pretty rare combination in indie rock yet my top three albums all exhibit that to some degree, so probably something to do with that.

2. Colleen Green - I Want To Grow Up: I like that she always sounds high as f**k.

3. Girlpool - Before the World Was Big: Not much meat on the bones in these songs but they're so well executed. They were great live too.

4. Twerps - Range Anxiety: Recommended by someone in this thread, I probably wouldn't have heard it otherwise, so cheers.

5. Grimes - Art Angels: Very high absolute banger ratio.

Various others I like but can't be arsed ranking:

Kendrick Lamar, Vince Staples, Purity Ring, Built to Spill, Protomartyr, Justin Bieber, Drake, Sleater Kinney, Mourn (EP), Palehound.

Top 5 songs:

1. Courtney Barnett - Pedestrian at Best

2. Purity Ring - Push Pull

3. Mourn - Gertrudis, Get Through This!

4. Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta

5. Grimes - Kill v. Maim

Turkeys:

Parquet Courts - Monastic Living: Pretentious shite

Bloc Party - Singles: Embarrassing shite

Speedy Ortiz - Foil Deer: I really tried to like this as I love their first album but outside of the first two tracks it was really boring.

Chvrches - Every Open Eye: As above really, just didn't get into it as much as I did the first album. Would have liked to see them progress a bit. Maybe next time.

Other stuff:

This has been a really good year for the radio and pop music in general imo. The Weeknd, Drake, and Bieber have released some excellent singles based on pretty minimal production which is a welcome change from the overwrought EDM rubbish the preceding few years had produced.

Still haven't listened to Father John Misty, Sufjan Stevens or Joanna Newsom albums in full which is pretty criminal given how well they've been received. Will get round to it at some point.

No order whatsoever,

Lord Huron - Strange Trails

Screaming Females - Rose Mountain

CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye

Telekinesis - Ad Infinitum

Death Cab For Cutie - Kintsugi

Faith No More - Sol Invictus

Madison Ward and the Mama Bear - Skeleton Crew

PWR BTTM - Ugly Cherries

Chastity Belt - Time To Go Home

No order whatsoever,

Lord Huron - Strange Trails

Screaming Females - Rose Mountain

CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye

Telekinesis - Ad Infinitum

Death Cab For Cutie - Kintsugi

Faith No More - Sol Invictus

Madison Ward and the Mama Bear - Skeleton Crew

PWR BTTM - Ugly Cherries

Chastity Belt - Time To Go Home

Did you go to the DCFC gig at the Academy?

The lassies from Chastity Belt were stood beside us a few times during Death Cabs set!

I always find it surprising how easy it is to spot the support band in the crowd if they make an appearance, they stick out like a sore thumb......somehow!

The recent Charlatans album is just ghastly. Badly produced music for adverts. At least Tim Burgess - who seems like a thoroughly nice chap - isn't singing in a falsetto anymore.

Joan Shelley's Over and Even is like accessible Joni Mitchell. You'll either love or hate the sound of that, or not care a bit.

Grimes' Art Angles is kind of fun, but I'm guessing the producer is the same person who does Ms Mr. Autotune on everything. I don't remember it being that heavily used on her first records.

Girlpool's Before the World Was Big seems quite interesting if entirely unoriginal.

Dawes' All Your Favourite Bands is a bit of a return to form, despite the clunker of a title track.

I'm still not sure what the point of Seth Avett's Elliott Smith covers album is.

Grimes' Art Angles is kind of fun, but I'm guessing the producer is the same person who does Ms Mr. Autotune on everything. I don't remember it being that heavily used on her first records.

She produces everything herself and as far as I know her vocals have been pitched up an octave on pretty much every song she's ever put out. The production/amount of sounds used is a bit crazy on this record though compared to her previous releases.

I'm surprised the Bill Ryder-Jones album hasn't featured on anyone's list (apart from mine that is) it's easily one of the best albums of 2015.

That's kind of how I feel about Clutch - Psychic Warfare.

It's the best hard rock album I've heard in years, it is just an utterly brilliant record!

Plus, is there anyone in music with a better beard than Neil Fallon?

neil-clutch-620x400.jpg

I'm still not sure what the point of Seth Avett's Elliott Smith covers album is.

It doesn't really need one.

I've read complaints that only a couple of their songs are complete departures from the style of the Elliott Smith originals. I'm not sure that a covers record necessarily needs to re-interpret the songs being covered. The Cat Power covers records do to some extent (although her version of Red Apples by former beau Bill Callahan is exceptionally similar).

I think they suit being recorded as stripped back sparse Americana - banjo, mandolin or lone guitar. Jessica Lea Mayfield's vocals certainly suit the tracks selected.

All depends on what you want from a covers record - complete reinvention or sympathetic treatment. They've gone down the sympathetic treatment route and I reckon it works.

Archived