Ian McCall Ayr United Manager

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think about it, the more pleased I am. Read somewhere that Neil Lennon and Derek McInness have both spoken to Lachlan on behalf of Ian, so hopefully he can use these connections to get some players in. Avoiding 9th and 10th is this seasons target, anything else is a bonus, then we can push on next year, time to build a squad. I reckon a lot of players will be putting in a lot more effort now we have the new man in charge, and hopefully at the end of the season, McCall isn't fooled.

He managed to turn around players in the past which has lead them onto bigger and better things. Hopefully he can do the same for Donnelly who everyone knows there is a striker lurking in there somewhere and maybe even Beattie to an extent.

Glad for our West coast neighbour, should not be sitting where you are, but 4 tough games in line, for new manager.

Baptism of fire that should give him a fair idea of changes that need made and the characteristics of the squad.

Its good to finally have a bit of positivity surrounding the squad, not sure what Boabs player fund was upto but noticed a few days ago it was over 1k. Should help bring in a replacement or attract someone of a higher calibre.

That tactic got us to within 7 mins of a penalty shoot out in the semi of the league cup under Reid to be fair.

As for McCall, I'm very happy with this appointment, more so than any other appointment in the last few years anyway. As folk have said, all that matters this season is that we stay up, and take it from there.

Unlikely as it looks at the moment, it would be ideal if Morton and Dunfermline could both go up this season as well, meaning 2 of the 'big' clubs were out of the picture when it comes to looking at next season

He's on Radio Scotland Sports Sound between now and 7. They're talking about Rangers so they'll stick the interview on at about 6.55pm ;)

I was going to put some snidey comments alluding to some of his issues that led him to leaving Firhill but it seems he's got his life back on track and I hope and believe he'll do a good job at Somerset Park.

If he can bring in a few decent players I can see Ayr getting clear of the relegation zone for a mid-table spot over the coming months.

Jobby may have been out the game a while, but no doubting his talents as a manager (up to midtable old 1st Division level).

As other Jags (and even some queens) have said, can spot a player, and can develop and improve them.

The fact he is in at the start of the winter window, means he can assess what Ayr have and what they need, and make some positive changes this month to give Ayr what will likely be a better last few months of the season.

I can see an influx of loans, and even some free transfers/signings of players released early from their contracts this month.

If you have any passengers in your team, they'll probably not feature much again this season, unless they up their workrate, McCall is no mug when it comes to shirtfillers.

Although not managing for a few years, he has being keeping his hand in as a pundit and watching games, and I believe is well liked and respected still within the game, and the dark cloud to the end of his time at Firhill shouldn't affect his dealings in any way with any clubs, including PTFC IMO.

Longer term, I predict Ayr will be much better next season, and see no reason why with the size of the club,McCall as a manager, and potential sizeable support that could see bigger budget and better use of it, to be challenging for not only top 4, but entirely possible McCall could construct a title challenging squad for 2015/16. If he really hits the ground with success in next couple of months, no reason why Ayr couldn't have them pushing for Top 4, depending how much he can improve the squad/those already there.

I know Ayr have a owner who is not there often, and appears to not take much interest in the day to day running of the club, but if he backs McCall and lets him implement the changes he feels necessary to move Ayr forward and up, then IMO, Ayr have bagged themselves a potentially excellent managerial signing, who could not only steady the ship, and get you promotion to the Championship, but also improve the structure of the club and give it better foundations for years to come, after any point McCall departs Ayr.

Having Mark Roberts as Ayrs manager always meant I kept an eye on their results, and hoping to see them do well. Having McCall now will see that continue, and while The Hoor was not the success I hoped he would be for Ayr, I have much greater confidence McCall will.

Plus the fact i love Ayr as a real old skool football ground, so a cup tie away there anytime is always welcomed.

Archived