Ian McCall Ayr United Manager

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayrdelighted - The Academy is very very close to putting the final piece of the jigsaw in place to secure Elite " 4 star " status for next season which will mean the young lads in Ayr's system playing Rangers , Celtic , Dundee Utd , Aberdeen , Hearts , Hibs , Killie , St Mirren , Fife Elite Academy , Forth Valley Elite Academy , Hamilton etc week in week out . This is a fantastic achievement by all at the Academy , ably led by Davie White as HOYD. I have experience of a few Head of Youth Developments over the years and Ayr's system benefits greatly from a HOYD who is actually approachable and will speak openly and honestly to parents. This does not happen at all Clubs. You are correct about some really good appointments to the coaching team recently , Rab Reilly & Tommy Tait certainly helping Head Coach Stevie McCreadie out at 17s Level with a squad of boys that is showing great promise.

"HOYD who is actually approachable and will speak openly and honestly" - :shutup :shutup :shutup

Why did he leave Partick Thistle out of interest? Genuinely can't remember any off-field issues?

The story goes that Thistle refused him permission to talk to Dundee about their vacant job and he was mega pissed off about it. After that our results turned shite and he resigned soon after. The Dundee job went to Chisholm.

There were some rumours about him having gambling debts and borrowing money from the players, but he said on the radio recently that he doesn't gamble anymore.

I doubt many Thistle fans were bothering that he left as we hadn't progressed from a middling First division team but on reflection he had signed the core of a very good team on a smaller budget than we had in the 3 tier.

The story goes that Thistle refused him permission to talk to Dundee about their vacant job and he was mega pissed off about it. After that our results turned shite and he resigned soon after. The Dundee job went to Chisholm.

There were some rumours about him having gambling debts and borrowing money from the players, but he said on the radio recently that he doesn't gamble anymore.

I doubt many Thistle fans were bothering that he left as we hadn't progressed from a middling First division team but on reflection he had signed the core of a very good team on a smaller budget than we had in the 3 tier.

The story in Dundee at the time (Regarding the job) is that he believed he was getting the job. He was travelling to Dundee to sign the contract when he heard on the radio that his ex-assistant Gordon Chisholm had been given the job.

He'd have probably done well for us but he'd have received a welcome much worse than John Brown did for us I reckon.

Thanks for filling me up to date anyways!

If you meet a top flight side in the cup, prepare to play with a maximum of one striker and not bother much with getting any shots on goal.

Reid shitfested his way to four wins and two draws against SPL sides like that. Bring it on.

Reid shitfested his way to four wins and two draws against SPL sides like that. Bring it on.

Really enjoyed the days/nights out in the cup under Reid. Was awful football to watch for any neutrals but very much a siege mentality in the Somerset road end. If McCall replicates that then I'd be happy, no point at our level opening up against top flight teams we'd take a hiding.

The appointment of John Henry proves that McCall still likes to get his old pals involved when he takes a new job. I wonder if he'll bring one of his other mates on board?

_1962127_mcallcoylecup300_zpsbbedd09e.jp

I don't think it would bother too many folk if he did, Not many folk hate Roberts for the job he did and are just glad he's not in charge any more

The appointment of John Henry proves that McCall still likes to get his old pals involved when he takes a new job. I wonder if he'll bring one of his other mates on board?

_1962127_mcallcoylecup300_zpsbbedd09e.jp

I don't think it would bother too many folk if he did, Not many folk hate Roberts for the job he did and are just glad he's not in charge any more

If Roberts still has the legs to play, I'd be glad to see him pulling on a jersey for us

Would probably be a better option than Beattie

Pleased with McCall's first signing in John Henry. Not a name I recognise, but judging from his past experience that's detailed on the club's website he sounds like a very good and well-regarded coach.

He lifted the Scottish Cup with the big team in Ayrshire, scoring hat trick away to Morton in the Quarter Final. ????

Archived