Airdrieonians Transfer thread

Possibly un-required, but a nice touch.

I heard that the Scottish Sun was reporting that Scott Fraser has extended his loan, but on twitter he says he knows nothing about it. Good to see Gasparotto extending his loan too.

I've also heard that Dundee Utd are sending us another young centre half, could be Euan Spark or Cameron Ballantyne but not 100% sure.

How has BRE been for you?

Is he highly rated amongst your support, and any Airdrieonians think he is top league quality?

I think he was getting almost a yellow a game for first couple of months with you, but AFAIK he hasn't picked up many in last couple of months, is this correct?

What were the reasons for his early rash of bookings (being last man, mistimed tackles, dissent or what?)?

How has BRE been for you?

Is he highly rated amongst your support, and any Airdrieonians think he is top league quality?

I think he was getting almost a yellow a game for first couple of months with you, but AFAIK he hasn't picked up many in last couple of months, is this correct?

What were the reasons for his early rash of bookings (being last man, mistimed tackles, dissent or what?)?

I think he's improved slightly for the games he's had.

He's a figure who divides the support though. Most on here don't want to see him go and think he's a talent.

Personally, I don't think he'll be that big a loss. He's fairly solid but is very, very prone to try and play football from the back where he's been caught out several times causing us problems, and picking up bookings trying to recover the situation. He's tried that a bit less recently and looks a more accomplished defender for it.

Is he top flight class? I don't think so, others may disagree.

I'd like to see him stay simply because we've a stable back line at the moment and our results have improved with that. I understand Thistle would want to have a proper look at him though so wont lose any sleep if he goes (assuming the rumours of another youngster from Thistle are correct?).

I think that he's solid defensively and has improved a lot during his time with us but he does have the tendency to think he's Beckenbauer which sees him caught in possession a lot. Luckily at this level he can get away with it mostly but at the top flight or even the Championship he'd get crucified for this. As Pesadilla says though, he has begun to cut this out of his game a bit more. I don't think he's good enough for the Premiership but a solid enough player at this level.

He is also surprisingly ineffective in the air for a man his height. I generally don't rate him - he gets caught in possession and isn't good enough to deal with that, but I should say that after a couple of brain-farts early on against Morton on Saturday, he had a great game. Not top-flight quality, certainly not yet, but could become a handy Championship level player, I think.

BRE is a reasonable player. He can do a job at this level but don't think he's top flight quality. Or not yet anyway.

Would have liked to see him stay but out of the 3 loanees we've had he's the one I've been least bothered about potentially losing.

Fraser now confirmed as staying to see the season out. Far more optimistic now about finishing above the relegation play off spot with him and Docherty in midfield.

Don't think we'll make the promotion play off, but that should be the aim.

Just need a solid replacement for BRE now.

Fraser now confirmed as staying to see the season out. Far more optimistic now about finishing above the relegation play off spot with him and Docherty in midfield.

Don't think we'll make the promotion play off, but that should be the aim.

Just need a solid replacement for BRE now.

No reason why we can't finish at least 4th in my opinion we are no world beaters but league is very poor this year and we are improving week by week

No reason why we can't finish at least 4th in my opinion we are no world beaters but league is very poor this year and we are improving week by week

That of course should be the aim.

Realistically though, the start we had to the season makes that a difficult prospect. You'd expect both Morton and Dunfy to come good at some point. Forfar and Stranraer already have a fair distance on us with neither looking likely to fall off a cliff in terms of results. Brechin are above us and will also be looking to get into the play off as will Peterhead, which makes a result this week fairly crucial if we are to have any pretences of looking upward.

Personally, I think the top four now, will be the top four at the end of the season. If we finish in a promotion play off spot then the season can be looked upon as fairly successful given the resources.

Personally I think Patrick have made a huge mistake pulling back BRE at this time and that's a totally unpartisan opinion.

He's improved dramatically since he arrived at Broomfield and as any Airdrie supporter will tell you that wasn't hard as "bomb scare" was a complementary assessment for quite some time. He's now gelled with Gasparotto and it's been evident in our recent results.

Doubt he'll get a start in the Jags 1st team, he's just not ready yet, a guaranteed start every week for us till the end of the season would have improved him IMHO, warming the bench or life in the reserves can only be regressive for him and the Jags.

Sam

Personally I think Patrick have made a huge mistake pulling back BRE at this time and that's a totally unpartisan opinion.

He's improved dramatically since he arrived at Broomfield and as any Airdrie supporter will tell you that wasn't hard as "bomb scare" was a complementary assessment for quite some time. He's now gelled with Gasparotto and it's been evident in our recent results.

Doubt he'll get a start in the Jags 1st team, he's just not ready yet, a guaranteed start every week for us till the end of the season would have improved him IMHO, warming the bench or life in the reserves can only be regressive for him and the Jags.

Sam

Problem is, Partick have him on a one year contract so in your scenario he would essentially have signed for Partick without playing a game before his contract runs out.

Would make no sense to sign him then let his contract run without playing him.

Archived