Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

Wonder what the same sponsors,fans and board members that were outraged Sheffield were even considering just letting him use their training facilities after his release think now.

Sheffield United have secured promotion to the lucrative Championship, so I suspect they won't be giving a single solitary f**k. I can see Ennis still having a strop though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was a convicted rapist when sponsors, fans and board members opposed him using Sheffield United's training facilities or immediately signing for Sheffield United upon release; his conviction has since been quashed and he has been acquitted. The two cannot be compared. I cannot honestly fathom why some people on social media or elsewhere are so desperate for Jessica Ennis or anybody else to 'apologise' for their previously documented opposition when circumstances have so obviously changed between now and then. 

It is a strange signing, though. Evans has only scored once for Chesterfield in League One since August - and they are now getting relegated from the same division that Sheffield United have just secured promotion from. He only scored 13 goals in 67 Championship appearances for Sheffield United before being sent to jail, and he was a member of their squad that was relegated in the 2010/11 season. They are now paying Chesterfield £500,000 for him, if the stories are to be believed. With all Evans' and Sheffield United's shared history, it is also likely to provoke its fair share of media attention when the deal is completed. With all that in mind, I'm not sure I really see the logic behind the signing from Sheffield United's perspective - from either a football or a PR standpoint. 

Archived