Junior Scottish Cup Sponsorship 2015?

Killiepiyo

Happy new year to everyone, was just reading the leaked emails allegedly showing the SPFL are looking for £1.75 Million to sponsor all the leagues after a lengthy spell without one. Aware it's been discussed before but got me thinking about the chances of the Junior cup attracting a new sponsor?

I know last year Barr came in to sponsor the final but if u were in charge what would you do to get a backer? Lower the asking price? Advertise the benefits? Do we need one?

Happy new year to everyone, was just reading the leaked emails allegedly showing the SPFL are looking for £1.75 Million to sponsor all the leagues after a lengthy spell without one. Aware it's been discussed before but got me thinking about the chances of the Junior cup attracting a new sponsor?

I know last year Barr came in to sponsor the final but if u were in charge what would you do to get a backer? Lower the asking price? Advertise the benefits? Do we need one?

Would be looking around for another airline like Emirates :rolleyes:

I very much doubt that multi-national companies like Emirates can see much benefit to themselves from sponsoring what is, after all, a very minor sporting competition in world terms.They sponsor clubs like Arsenal for very good reasons, worldwide exposure from TV highlights shown worldwide.

Sponsoring the Scottish junior cup would be, to them, very much like giving your loose change to a beggar.

We can only hope that some Scottish based organisation, that does real business, with the sort of people that follow, and are involved in football at our level will come in.

The offshore industries maybe would have been contenders a few years ago, but unlikely at the moment. The motor trade is doing pretty well at the moment but Arnold Clark has never really shown much interest in sponsoring football even although his brother, Billy, played junior football at kilsyth and senior at St Johnstone.

The best opportunities I would think might come from within the leisure sector, including gambling, who do make money from us. Also food and drink with quite a few Scottish based companies doing OK, and the financial industry which is probably the most profitable part of the Scottish economy.

I have no doubt that, contrary to what many people on here think,efforts have been made to get more sponsorship.

Just look at how long Douglas Park held back before deciding to get involved at Glasgow Rangers, he has waited until it is almost about to undergo a second collapse and i have no doubt this will mark a turning point in their fortunes, and that he bwill be in full control before very long.

You would think William Hill would be a viable option as the winners progress into the senior Scottish cup (which they obviously sponsor at the moment) the following season.

Although other bookmakers are available (hint hint MacBookie lol)

I know we don't live in an ideal world and no sponsor means no money. When we do get a sponsor surely any cash should be cascaded in the same manner as the senior Scottish and not just to the teams in the latter stages as it is at the moment.

Obviously this can only be calculated once we know how much is in the pot and would increase for each round.

And why shouldn't we set our targets high by looking for a "Big" sponsor like maybe YouTube or even Facebook who we use week in week out to post match reports, match highlights etc.? There's even BBC Alba who manage to show live coverage of the final who may be encouraged to air highlights from the days junior games as opposed to a repeat of an already shown Premiership game.

I know senior teams from the lower leagues would bemoan this but they can fight their own battles. Who knows with a little coverage other than a final it may even show fans of the so called big teams that junior football is actually more entertaining and value for money than they think!

Apologies for the rant but thanks for staying with it lol

Cmon The'FORD

A company like ACA sports or even Mitre who can link there sponsorship with all the Junior clubs.

These are two companies which a lot of teams use, maybe a deal can be done that if they sponsor the Scottish cup then the clubs can get a discount on purchases that way both parties will benefit.

The SJFA on the whole are not very good at promoting the Junior game, which is the best value for money than the SPFL .

I know we don't live in an ideal world and no sponsor means no money. When we do get a sponsor surely any cash should be cascaded in the same manner as the senior Scottish and not just to the teams in the latter stages as it is at the moment.

Obviously this can only be calculated once we know how much is in the pot and would increase for each round.

And why shouldn't we set our targets high by looking for a "Big" sponsor like maybe YouTube or even Facebook who we use week in week out to post match reports, match highlights etc.? There's even BBC Alba who manage to show live coverage of the final who may be encouraged to air highlights from the days junior games as opposed to a repeat of an already shown Premiership game.

I know senior teams from the lower leagues would bemoan this but they can fight their own battles. Who knows with a little coverage other than a final it may even show fans of the so called big teams that junior football is actually more entertaining and value for money than they think!

Apologies for the rant but thanks for staying with it lol

Cmon The'FORD

At least when they first started, SJFA paid ALBA to show the final. Not sure if that's still the case or not.

And in terms of prize money, I'm not sure how much there is or was - semi finalists are guaranteed £3000 and finalists £8000 each but that mainly comes from gate receipts that are topped up by the SJFA if there's not enough in that pot.

An interesting comparison model is the Petrofac Cup which when sponsored by Ramsdens gave the bulk of its prize money to the finalists (I think it was 30k/15k) with the remaining (15k?) split up among the other 28 sides over the course of the competition.

And in terms of prize money, I'm not sure how much there is or was - semi finalists are guaranteed £3000 and finalists £8000 each but that mainly comes from gate receipts that are topped up by the SJFA if there's not enough in that pot.

That was my thought: isn't any sponsor income just put into the big SJFA pot?

An interesting comparison model is the Petrofac Cup which when sponsored by Ramsdens gave the bulk of its prize money to the finalists (I think it was 30k/15k) with the remaining (15k?) split up among the other 28 sides over the course of the competition.

I think that was how it worked under BBC Alba. Something like half the money was loaded towards the finalists.

Under the original Ramsdens deal (before Rangers came into play) prize-fund was £186k and winner received only £28k, runner-up getting £18k.

EDIT: Actually here's some Challenge Cup progressions:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/171700-challenge-cup-prize-money/#entry6115457

Challenge Cup 2011-12 (Ramsdens)

Prizefund... £186,000

R1 losers... £2,750

R2 losers... £5,500

R3 losers... £8,000

SF losers... £10,000

Losing Fin... £18,000

Winning Fin... £28,000 + match v Middlesbrough

Challenge Cup 2009-10 (MG Alba)

Prizefund... ~£61,000 (although I've also seen it described as ~£70k or ~£80k)

R1-SF losers... shared about £15,000

Losing Finalist... £15,000

Winning Finalist... £31,000

Challenge Cup 1999-00 to 2002-03 (Bells)

Prizefund... £134,000

R1 losers... £3,000

R2 losers... £4,000

R3 losers... £5,000

SF losers... £6,000

Losing Fin... £12,000

Winning Fin... £16,000

Challenge Cup 1995-96 (Bells)

Prizefund... £108,450

R1 losers... £2,125

R2 losers... £3,200

R3 losers... £4,400

SF losers... £5,750

Losing Fin... £10,000

Winning Fin... £14,000

Centenary Cup 1990-91 (B&Q)

Prizefund... £78,000

R1 losers... £1,500

R2 losers... £2,500

R3 losers... £3,500

SF losers... £4,500

Losing Fin... £7,000

Winning Fin... £10,000

Just get Hamilton Tarmac to sponsor it! They buy everything!

Yup Hamilton Tarmac would take the junior cup down the right path , they would provide a

Drive-way above the the rest of the others and they would lay a firm foundation as Backers of the Scottish junior cup . ;):)

Archived