Orlando

scmwell

How many days are you planning on doing in the parks? Where are you staying and what sort of budget foodwise do you have/ sort of food do you like?

we are staying at vista cay. Probably going to try and go to parks most days. Foodwise ain't to fussy steak,indian,Chinese not sure about budget yet still trying to save

Edited by scmwell

The Market Street Cafe in Celebration is excellent for food, the fish is absolutely massive. Plus Celebration itself is a very chilled out place to relax about in.

Not sure what age your kids are, yet if they're old enough, you should consider doing the Halloween Horror Night at Universal Studios.

Edit: Not sure if they have done away with this, yet when i last went, their used to be a ticket bit beside the rides where you could get tickets for specific times to go on the rides, meaning you don't have to wait in the queues for ages.

Edited by Parscelona

we got tickets from attraction tickets this year and they were great. Got free night at a dinner show which was 100 times better than I thought it would be. There's no real way of getting tickets cheap but i'd recommend this. At the outlets, Premium on Vineland, go to the main information desk and buy a discount booklet. We get one for free in the time share but i think they are about $4 and you can say $100s of dollars. You'll be there for the Columbus day sales - Mid October - where almost everything will be 40% off and you can get some real bargain. The parks are pretty quiet in October, this year the longest wait we had for anything in Universal was 35mins for Transformers which only opened this year. Everything else was dead.

As for food places take your pick, there is literally everything. Mainly chain restaurants it just comes down to personal preference. We tend to go to the same places: Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze, Chillis etc once and then just chose some other places. Get so much food everywhere and it's mostly pretty good and cheap! Most places you can sign up for discount vouchers online and get free starters etc.

Depending on how old the kids are/how far you're willing to drive i'd say that Tampa/Clearwater is worth a trip. Medira Beach and Trasure Island are lovely on a nice day.

There's so much to do in and around Orlando - i'd suggest you make a rough plan of what you want to do. I done it this year and it worked a treat - managed to get loads done.

Fingers crossed, depending on when the school holidays fall as the missus is a probationer teacher, we'll be there the first 2 weeks in October!

• 1 year later...

I'm heading to Florida in a couple of weeks, but I'm struggling to find suitable tickets for the parks. I want to go to Magic Kingdom, both Universal parks and one of Blizzard Beach/Typhoon Lagoon, but there doesn't seem to be a site that has suitable combination tickets. Will I just have to buy individually and pay the price, or is there a site which allows you to say what parks you want and see the best way to buy tickets?

I'm heading to Florida in a couple of weeks, but I'm struggling to find suitable tickets for the parks. I want to go to Magic Kingdom, both Universal parks and one of Blizzard Beach/Typhoon Lagoon, but there doesn't seem to be a site that has suitable combination tickets. Will I just have to buy individually and pay the price, or is there a site which allows you to say what parks you want and see the best way to buy tickets?

You will need to buy individual tickets at the gates. Most sites sell a multiple day tickets as thats what most will use over the time and gives freedom to attend when ever desired. Universal Parks will take a couple of days at least. 

American attractions is a good site to use for tickets but dont have single day options.

You will need to buy individual tickets at the gates. Most sites sell a multiple day tickets as thats what most will use over the time and gives freedom to attend when ever desired. Universal Parks will take a couple of days at least.

American attractions is a good site to use for tickets but dont have single day options.

I'll probably buy the week pass for the two universal parks and Disney because it still saves money, but maybe have to buy at the gate for the water park. Cheers.

I'll probably buy the week pass for the two universal parks and Disney because it still saves money, but maybe have to buy at the gate for the water park. Cheers.

Hope you get on ok and enjoy the trip a few new rides have opened recently. Just need to watch the wait times for them.

Have you learned nothing from M&Ds?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Some people suggesting buying tickets at Walmart in Orlando is cheaper than buying before you go. Anybody have any idea how much a day ticket at universal is from Walmart?

Last year the tickets in Walmart for Seaworld and Universal worked out about the same as they are at the gate. For universal i'd suggest the 14 day park hopper ticket from Attraction Tickets or Orlando Attractions. Valid for 14 days from activation and can use as much as you like, can do mornings or afternoons if you don't fancy the whole day and it only works out about £30 more than a single day ticket. Can also get on the Hogwarts Express with it. Now that Universal have moved to seasonal pricing it is probably even better the option. 2 park Bonus ticket is £150 and from memory i think the gate price at universal for a day is $155(£118).

Edited by DigOutYourSoul

I'm going with the girlfriend in June and we're staying on International Drive, so close to the parks and loads of restaurants nearby. Anybody got any recommendations? We can both eat pretty much any type of cuisine, but would want to try and get to a variety of places.

Secondly, neither of us drive currently, although my girlfriend is currently learning, so any advice on visiting places like Tampa and the Kennedy Space center? Assume there would be coaches available to these places?

Thanks!

On 7/19/2016 at 21:08, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I am booked up to go in October 2017 to Saratoga Springs resort. Not long to wait now then.

Any and all information would be much appreciated.

We're just back from our 2nd stay at Saratoga. The accommodation is excellent, but you're best paying the extra for the villa over the studio (the latter is bit cramped).

It's a huge resort with the Grandstand area being our favourite, due to it having a quiet pool and being a short walk from both the Carriage House and Disney Springs; it's the first bus stop too. If you're staying with Disney, make sure you get the Dining plan; you'll save a fortune, especially if you have kids that are interested in character dining; I can give you tips on the best Disney restaurants too if that would be helpful.

That was our fourth time staying in Disney and the first we've taken a car, as we'd pretty much exhausted the Disney parks and wanted to explore a bit. However, you can easily survive without a car and just rely on Disney's transport including the Magical Express from the airport. There's also a Lynx bus from Disney Springs that will take you to the Seaworld parks on I Drive, where you can change for buses to Universal and Florida Mall.

4 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Thought about taking in an Orlando City game (provided they're at home obviously) whilst you're there?

Went to see them play New England Revolution when we were there last year. The quality of the game was utterly shocking as was a big can of Budweiser costing $11, but it was a great experience. Hilarious watching all the local fans jumping up waving their yellow and red cards at every little bit contact or foul!

The Citrus Bowl is maybe 30 minutes away from Disney but easy enough to get to.

We went a few weeks back via when they played Houston and I completely agree about the quality; I've never seen two teams lack urgency like that, and I'm not sure the heat was solely the culprit. I loved the atmosphere outside with DJs, bands etc though and the beer was a bit cheaper out there - $8 for a 16 fl oz can of Heineken.

It will be a bit harder to get tickets from next year when they move closer to downtown but parking etc will be far easier. The area the Citrus Bowl is in (Parramore) is not a place for tourists to be walking about in, hence the current bus shuttle for a half mile journey to and from downtown.

Edited by Aloysius Snuffleupagus