We're Having a Vegan For Tea.

I don't really think this makes much sense - you're saying that going through life trying to minimise the number of animals killed by an individual's actions and choices is a bad thing?

Of course we're never going to survive without causing some destruction and the death of animals - you just seem angry that others choose to live and eat differently to you.

The bolded bit is just superb, by the way.

No , i'm suggesting if vegans etc are going to take the moral high ground about not killing animals they maybe should look a bit closer at what they do eat, and that they may well find there choices are not as squeaky clean as they would like, and indeed may involve killing more animals than some diets that include meat.

I'm not angry, interesting choice to go for the you seem upset response this early.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you honestly comparing combined harvester field kill to the factory farming killing of cows, bulls, pigs, sheep/lambs, chickens? Just because they live horrific lives in close confinement does not take away from the massive areas of land it takes to process the raising & slaughtering then processing prior to your consumption of them

Grimbo

Are you honestly comparing combined harvester field kill to the factory farming killing of cows, bulls, pigs, sheep/lambs, chickens? Just because they live horrific lives in close confinement does not take away from the massive areas of land it takes to process the raising & slaughtering then processing prior to your consumption of them

Grimbo

No, he is saying veggies don't like baby lambs and piggy wiggy being killed for dinner. But there are millions of baby mice and fluffy bunnies killed in tofu production as well. So what's the difference?

No, he is saying veggies don't like baby lambs and piggy wiggy being killed for dinner. But there are millions of baby mice and fluffy bunnies killed in tofu production as well. So what's the difference?

We need to eat something, and the production involved in a vegan (and to a lesser extent, vegetarian) diet is massively more sustainable (and kills less animals) than that of an omnivorous diet.

We need to eat something, and the production involved in a vegan (and to a lesser extent, vegetarian) diet is massively more sustainable (and kills less animals) than that of an omnivorous diet.

I couldn't give a shit, but that might be caused by the lack of vegetables in my diet.

But human beings for the most part don't go hunting wild animals for food. We breed livestock, animals that wouldn't exist if we didn't breed them for food. There would be fewer of these animals alive if we didn't eat meat / dairy / wear wool / etc.

Evidence please that vast arable farming "kills less animals" than farming for meat consumption. Bear in mind that we're referring to all animals here, not just the slaughtered ones that vegan roasters wish us to get doe-eyed about.

'Sustainability' is an entirely separate issue, though given we're not living in the 7th fucking Century it is not something I give a f**k about.

Evidence please that vast arable farming "kills less animals" than farming for meat consumption. Bear in mind that we're referring to all animals here, not just the slaughtered ones that vegan roasters wish us to get doe-eyed about.

'Sustainability' is an entirely separate issue, though given we're not living in the 7th fucking Century it is not something I give a f**k about.

You seem lovely.

It's pretty self-evident, since vast arable farming is essential for livestock production too.

Run along now.

If we stopped eating meat then these animals would be slaughtered tomorrow as they'd be of no value to anyone. They wouldn't be out there living happily in the wild.

You do realise that the animals that are bred for your table aren't actually just running about wild?

Grimbo

Here's one of the main casualties of intensive arable farming - chances are you've never seen or heard one, although they were all over the UK prior to the mechanisation of farming. Poor wee fuckers are just about hanging in there on the Western Isles - elsewhere, forget it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/22905254

Not much meat on those birds. I'll stick to chicken.

It be interesting to see what specifically what morally representable things vegetarians don't approve of, you know things that are worse than crushing animals to death in machinery, or poisoning them which is clearly ok.

I'll come out of the closet, if you wasn't already aware. Crushing & poisoning animals is not clearly ok in my book BUT I'd rather they had at least had some freedom prior to their death rather than having been born in to captivity just to be killed so you could have your bacon butty or lamb chop, which you don't actually need to survive.

It's a Big V from Grim.

Archived