We're Having a Vegan For Tea.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin is vegan, anytime she came round for dinner she always brought her own food and made it herself, no fuss.

Correct answer, if anyone has any special dietary requirement that would have you making a different meal than normal they should then bring their own food.

or

Tell them to f**k Off

"Vegans are nothing but attention seekers" - This is just stupid, my wife is vegan, the reason being she has no desire to be part of the utter horror that is factory farming and animal slaughter, watch this footage for example: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/slaughter/ALL///

As for the OP there are lots of vegan things you can cook that are as good or better than meat, tesco does vegan mince, you get great vegan sausages too. I cook vegan meals most nights and its no bother. The vegan would be quite happy with a ready meal type thing, Sainsbury stocks stuff by Amy's Kitchen in the frozen section which are vegan and pretty good. I have sympathy for the idea of them bringing their own food, mrs 1924 brought here own Christmas dinner to save making three diffferent meals.

"Vegans are nothing but attention seekers" - This is just stupid, my wife is vegan, the reason being she has no desire to be part of the utter horror that is factory farming and animal slaughter, watch this footage for example: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/slaughter/ALL///

As for the OP there are lots of vegan things you can cook that are as good or better than meat, tesco does vegan mince, you get great vegan sausages too. I cook vegan meals most nights and its no bother. The vegan would be quite happy with a ready meal type thing, Sainsbury stocks stuff by Amy's Kitchen in the frozen section which are vegan and pretty good. I have sympathy for the idea of them bringing their own food, mrs 1924 brought here own Christmas dinner to save making three diffferent meals.

And what about the destruction of habitat to grow her vegan food? What about the killing of animals to protect her choice in food? The animals that die as a result of harvest? Do those animals not count?

What about the increase damage to our planet from transporting vegan food, or can your wife find things like soya that is grown in Scotland?

^^^ Kick her in the pie

We should be tolerant of all things (except religion and people who won't accept £500 notes). I don't see why people get all bent out of shape about it. What I wouldn't do is change my eating habits because I was in the company of a vegan or vegetarian.

I'm used to hearing that someone coming for dinner is a vegetarian but usually it's qualified with "but they eat chicken" or "but they eat fish" so that some sort of decent option can be chosen. This time there's no but - this one is vegan. "We could do a quorn thing". No we couldn't. Am I really expected to downgrade the meal just because of one person's fads? Am I supposed to knock up a separate meal for this other person?

How many on here have had the same dilemma and what did you do? Did you give in or did you take a hard line.

Also, there will be vegetarians on here (although I'm sure vegans will be much rarer) whose opinions would be interesting. Would you expect a host to be gracious enough to change the meal plan to accommodate you?

A big veggie curry with rice and naan - gf is a vegetarian and half the time when she makes the dinner it is vegan suitable and we don't even realise.

And what about the destruction of habitat to grow her vegan food? What about the killing of animals to protect her choice in food? The animals that die as a result of harvest? Do those animals not count?

What about the increase damage to our planet from transporting vegan food, or can your wife find things like soya that is grown in Scotland?

Actually, the effect of veganism (or vegetarianism, to a lesser extent) is to massively lessen the destruction of both habitats and the environment.

People eating meat is one of the main causes of both world hunger and climate change.

I'm unsure about what you mean by the 'killing of animals to protect her choice in food', but if you're on about pesticides etc most vegans would buy organic produce.

Actually, the effect of veganism (or vegetarianism, to a lesser extent) is to massively lessen the destruction of both habitats and the environment.

People eating meat is one of the main causes of both world hunger and climate change.

I'm unsure about what you mean by the 'killing of animals to protect her choice in food', but if you're on about pesticides etc most vegans would buy organic produce.

Given you can raise animals where crops can't be grown with minimal effect on the natural environment its pretty stupid to rid them of your diet in exchange for crops that have involved removal of habitat isn't it?

You think just because something is organically grown the farmer doesn't protect there crops? It isn't just pesticides either, its the poison and traps laid to protect the crop when its in storage.

Are you able to answer me on where vegans source their soya from, do they grow it in their back gardens?

And if you can tell me if the animals killed in the production of vegan/vegetarian meals count or not that would brilliant.

Given you can raise animals where crops can't be grown with minimal effect on the natural environment its pretty stupid to rid them of your diet in exchange for crops that have involved removal of habitat isn't it?

You think just because something is organically grown the farmer doesn't protect there crops? It isn't just pesticides either, its the poison and traps laid to protect the crop when its in storage.

Are you able to answer me on where vegans source their soya from, do they grow it in their back gardens?

And if you can tell me if the animals killed in the production of vegan/vegetarian meals count or not that would brilliant.

I've already told you I've no idea what you mean by the bolded bit. To which animals are you referring?

To take your other points in order:

Yes, you can raise animals where crops can't be grown. However, farming animals is incredibly inefficient even in these cases, as they need to be fed with cereals and crops which could otherwise have been consumed by people (at least in winter when they can't be out grazing). It also takes a lot more land to produce a kilo of any meat than it does to produce a kilo of any common crop. You're also comparing animals being raised with 'minimal effect' on the natural environment with crops which have been grown in such a way as to affect habitats, as though ALL animal rearing had limited effect on the natural environment and ALL crop production involved destroying habitats.

Organic is a very wide label, and the certification of things as organic is probably not as robust as I'd like it to be. However, I'd like to think that things which are labelled as organic have at least been grown (or produced) with one eye on the impact on habitat and the wider environment, as opposed to non-organic methods. Circa 18% of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions are linked to the production of meat.

I've already told you I've no idea what you mean by the bolded bit. To which animals are you referring?

To take your other points in order:

Yes, you can raise animals where crops can't be grown. However, farming animals is incredibly inefficient even in these cases, as they need to be fed with cereals and crops which could otherwise have been consumed by people (at least in winter when they can't be out grazing). It also takes a lot more land to produce a kilo of any meat than it does to produce a kilo of any common crop. You're also comparing animals being raised with 'minimal effect' on the natural environment with crops which have been grown in such a way as to affect habitats, as though ALL animal rearing had limited effect on the natural environment and ALL crop production involved destroying habitats.

Organic is a very wide label, and the certification of things as organic is probably not as robust as I'd like it to be. However, I'd like to think that things which are labelled as organic have at least been grown (or produced) with one eye on the impact on habitat and the wider environment, as opposed to non-organic methods. Circa 18% of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions are linked to the production of meat.

The many many mice killed , the rats, the pigeons , the rabbits etc etc, basically anything that harms the crop, sometimes deliberately, sometimes not like crushing them to death in a harvester, a much worse death than a quick electric bolt or break of the neck. Do these animals not count? Is ok to kill animals in the process of food production so long as you don't actually eat it?

I'm not referring that all animals are raised on purely grazing land or that important habitats such as rain forests (mind that soya you haven't addressed?) are destroyed for crops. Thats more my point against vegan/vegetarianism, they are the ones making the generalisation, they take a moral decision to eat one thing over another regardless of the circumstance.

You are right about organic being a vague term, vague enough it basically means f**k all in terms of sustainability.

The many many mice killed , the rats, the pigeons , the rabbits etc etc, basically anything that harms the crop, sometimes deliberately, sometimes not like crushing them to death in a harvester, a much worse death than a quick electric bolt or break of the neck. Do these animals not count? Is ok to kill animals in the process of food production so long as you don't actually eat it?

I'm not referring that all animals are raised on purely grazing land or that important habitats such as rain forests (mind that soya you haven't addressed?) are destroyed for crops. Thats more my point against vegan/vegetarianism, they are the ones making the generalisation, they take a moral decision to eat one thing over another regardless of the circumstance.

You are right about organic being a vague term, vague enough it basically means f**k all in terms of sustainability.

I don't really think this makes much sense - you're saying that going through life trying to minimise the number of animals killed by an individual's actions and choices is a bad thing?

Of course we're never going to survive without causing some destruction and the death of animals - you just seem angry that others choose to live and eat differently to you.

The bolded bit is just superb, by the way.

Archived