Wood burner/multi fuel stoves

Mambostaggie

Anybody got any experience with these? I've just bought an old Victorian hall converted to a house and the area its in has no mains gas. The house is heated entirely by electric storage heaters. I want to open up the existing fireplace and put in a stove of some sort probably around 7-8kw rating. Anyone share any experience good or bad that they've had? Cheers

Depending on how old the storage heaters are, they'll work well if used correctly, if they're old look at the new Quantum ones, they're incredibly good.

As for the burners, wood burners are really good if used properly and you vent it correctly, you can build up enough heat in them to last a night, just make sure you dinnae leave anything on them for a long period of time, I managed to melt the sole of my hiking boots trying to dry them on a wood burner that was up to speed. It took all of 5 minutes to distort them and this was just a little thing. It's really amazing the heat they produce, especially if you can get the wood naturally or cheaply, it's also a great work out chopping it.

Burning peat in them is pretty good too. Seems to burn hotter. I usually put a decent amount of peat in, then after an hour or so there's a good layer of hot burning ashes so you can just chuck a log or two on whenever you want.

Now your talking I can get as much free peat as I can carry!

Ah hold on! I think I might know who you are. Can't be many wasps in Moray. Did you used to work for Abercrombies?

There wouldn't be any wasps in Moray if my mother were still living. She hated them.

Agreed with getting multifuel option. You can pick up decent 2nd hand stoves sometimes as well for fraction of the cost. You may need the extra money for your flue! They can be very expensive but tbh I'm not sure on what's required for a flue for an enclosed chimney. Nothing like it though.

One other thing is don't get one that's too big. Easier to keep a smaller one going with good output.

They are superb though.

Had a friend of a friend come round and he's going to do the whole job including breaking out the fire and plastering up afterwards for a very reasonable rate, a third of the price we were quoted by several stove shops. Going for a 6kw on his advice.

Archived