The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hints by his lackeys that we should be grateful to Rae for, err, resigning two players he allowed to leave over a complete pittance 18 months ago - causing the worst 18 month spell in the club's history in the process and losing well over £400k of revenue - is the funniest part for me.

I'm sure today's issue of the Gazette is a treat.

You're so young :rolleyes:

Feel free to outline then a period which surpassed:

- relegation in a hilariously distant bottom spot, woefully underachieving its budget in the process

- six months spent in mid-table mediocrity in Scotland's third tier

- the signing of horrible, try nothing human beings like Fat Gary and Novo

- the hiring of Scottish football's most bumbling clownshoes manager, Jim Duffy

- a 5-0 scudding by Cowdenbeath, topped only slightly by a 10 goal scudding on the final day

- managing to get knocked out of the cup by a non-league side, becoming the first full-time side to lost to that club in its history

I'm afraid that your Hovis-themed memories of a few mediocre years in the early 90s aren't going to cut it here, champ.

You should be able to get a price for virtually anything in store, as long as the manager isn't a bit of a knob.

We're still 11/4 but they don't do top GS for League 1 :( I got the usual, "did ye check online?", which shows that they were just as clueless :lol:

- relegation in a hilariously distant bottom spot, woefully underachieving its budget in the process

- a 5-0 scudding by Cowdenbeath, topped only slightly by a 10 goal scudding on the final day

- managing to get knocked out of the cup by a non-league side, becoming the first full-time side to lost to that club in its history

I'm afraid that your Hovis-themed memories of a few mediocre years in the early 90s aren't going to cut it here, champ.

All horrific I don't disagree but it's going to take something else to surpass the 18 months from Feb 2001 to Aug 2002.

[That's not a challenge Dougie !]

Anyway, I'm not sure what your early 90's Hovis memory relates to but if you don't know about the aforementioned 18 months maybe you should look it up, buddy !

In terms of performances on the pitch and woeful underachievement, it already does so, quite comfortably.

- Being relegated from the 1st the same year as St Mirren were coming down

- Closer to being the next Third Lanark than now

- Being "saved" by Dougie

- Going 7 months without a home win

- Giving Dave McPherson (a coach who makes Jim Duffy look cluefull) the managers job

- Throwing in the towel on the last day of the 2nd season when a point would have saved us

It was Dougie's choice to try his first season 'on the cheap' that cost us relegation and probably created the free-spending Mr Hyde he became over the next 4 or 5 seasons !

Just now, "the worst spell in the clubs 18 month history"? Nope

Edit to add - Andy Carlin !

- Being relegated from the 1st the same year as St Mirren were coming down

- Closer to being the next Third Lanark than now

- Being "saved" by Dougie

- Going 7 months without a home win

- Giving Dave McPherson (a coach who makes Jim Duffy look cluefull) the managers job

- Throwing in the towel on the last day of the 2nd season when a point would have saved us

It was Dougie's choice to try his first season 'on the cheap' that cost us relegation and probably created the free-spending Mr Hyde he became over the next 4 or 5 seasons !

Just now, "the worst spell in the clubs 18 month history"? Nope

Edit to add - Andy Carlin !

Is that not like saying to someone living in a slum well look there is a guy sleeping on a park bench. Whether those times were worse for the club does not alter the incompetence, dreadful appointments and inefficient management from the top. Scott had no intention of improving the club but Dougie's aspirations have been hampered by his ability.

The scummy bunch at the tail of the bank can't sink much lower when they enlist the help of the Easdales. Poor Sandy has troubles of his own though: some disgruntled monkeys have been threatening and intimidating him. Watch out Sandy, they might set one of your buses on fire.

Back-to-back relations (from bottom spot) in 2000-01 (into third tier) and 2001-02 (into 4th tier). Last of those saw us finish 9 points off 8th-placed Cowdenbeath and even missing the chance to be saved by Airdrie's liquidation.

Full season spent at bottom of third-tier, followed by six months mediocrity in fourth tier.

The signing (and giving of the manager job) to Dave "I'm injured so can't play for my employer, but will turn up for this celebrity tournament" McPherson. Or go 12 months earlier for the £25,000 signing of this guy:

See previous answer.

Depends where you draw the start/finish lines in our 18mth period, but in 2000-01 we had: a 4-1 defeat to Peterhead, 4-0 losses to ICT and Falkirk, 5-1 defeats to Clyde and Airdrie, and a 6-0 pumping from Ayr.

True, but we also knocked Celtic out of the Cup in their own backyard during said 18 months period. We did nothing approaching an equivalent around 2000-2002 (though we did score 5 times against QOS in a 6-5 defeat, if that counts?)

Find it quite amazing that Lamie has ended up higher up in the food chain than Milo at centre half.

Would take Milo back in an instant now that BRE has returned to Partick.

i found it strange that Milo was dropped. Think playing alongside Crighton made him look worse than he actually is. When i seen him, i quite liked him and would have liked to have seen him play alongside Miller. Both Milo and Miller came with glowing reputations from Airdrie and Dumbarton fans so its strange how one hasn't been given a chance and the other has been dropped when he didn't do much wrong.

Looking purely at results on the pitch the successive relegation period was obviously worse, but that's failing to consider the context. That period was a result of administration and the fallout from it, followed by having to build a whole squad in a fortnight before the start of the season while a huge rebuilding job was needed around the whole club., meaning the board were blameless for many of the problems.

In contrast, the failures of the last 18 months have been a result of gross incompetence and mismanagement. There are no mitigating factors this time, it's entirely the fault of the club who have blundered from shambles to shambles. Considering the respective contexts, I'd say the last 18 months have been more embarrassing.

Nah 'cos Andy Carlin had to play and they lost 4-0 to Inverness. Because the recent sides wasn't of course drubbed by the same outfit last season, which actually slipped off a radar screen due to it already being splattered with dreadful results.

The "successive relegation sides" took 35 points each in their respective campaigns. Last season's took 26. It's about time the old-timers got off their cross about watching those sides.

Looking purely at results on the pitch the successive relegation period was obviously worse, but that's failing to consider the context. That period was a result of administration and the fallout from it, followed by having to build a whole squad in a fortnight before the start of the season while a huge rebuilding job was needed around the whole club., meaning the board were blameless for many of the problems.

In contrast, the failures of the last 18 months have been a result of gross incompetence and mismanagement. There are no mitigating factors this time, it's entirely the fault of the club who have blundered from shambles to shambles. Considering the respective contexts, I'd say the last 18 months have been more embarrassing.

The first of the double-relegations occurred during the administration season, which started under the Scott/Peden board.

Scott had plenty of embarrassments, but I think Rae's embarrassments tend to reflect more on the Club and fans,whereas Scott was viewed as an outsider whose mistakes were his own (albeit they clearly affected the Club).

Your statement that "the failures of the last 18 months have been a result of gross incompetence and mismanagement" implies that the admin season was not as a result of such. Clearly it was, and the legacy of that incompetence and mismanagement carried over to affect the post-admin period and the second relegation.

You also state "the board were blameless for many of the problems". I assume you mean the Rae board, given the Scott (and Peden) board were clearly entirely at fault for nearly all the problems. But we are talking about the worst period in the Club's history. Why does the conduct of the Scott board not count?

Nah 'cos Andy Carlin had to play and they lost 4-0 to Inverness. Because the recent sides wasn't of course drubbed by the same outfit last season, which actually slipped off a radar screen due to it already being splattered with dreadful results.

The "successive relegation sides" took 35 points each in their respective campaigns. Last season's took 26. It's about time the old-timers got off their cross about watching those sides.

And now 22 games into the season during the "worst spell in the Club's history" we are already on 38 points: 3 more than we managed in 36 games at the same tier during the double-relegation period.

We are arguing over which of our unpolished turds is the least shiny.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at: the Rae board couldn't be accused of incompetence or mismanagement at that time, considering the state the club was in when they took over. Obviously the Scott/Peden boards were guilty of mismanagement but that was on purpose. You're obviously going to suffer on the pitch when you have a board actively trying to shut the club down. I think that's why they're viewed as an external factor: they were never trying to achieve success on the pitch because they were there to kill the club and make some money out of it, which thankfully doesn't apply to Rae.

Regardless of which is worse, we can agree that both periods were (are?) absolutely dreadful times which no one will remember fondly.

Archived