The Great Big Morton Thread

As far as I've read International Clearance is conducted between the two Football Associations, in this case the English FA and the SFA. This would appear to be where the problem has been highlighted.

You're right, but International Clearance would be required before the SFA could register the player (which is what I meant by my chronology).

I suspect FIFA have granted conditional clearance (but with the caveat that Tidser cannot play again this season) and the SFA have then reverted to the club and player before proceeding with the registration.

Alternatively, it's possible someone competent at the SFA may have realised the issue prior to making the application to FIFA.

Either way, I doubt the player has been registered with the SFA. This is also supported by the Club's statement and the lack of Tidser showing as a registered player on the SFA website (per an earlier poster - I've not checked myself).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a different Robbie Crawford.

Ok, my mistake then. No idea the names of the Ayr players and then saw him mentioned when we played them - I assumed that as we had got rid of him he must have sorted another loan deal. Maybe we should take a leaf out of Equity's book and inisist players have to change their name so they have a unique name. Might prevent that Mark McCulloch (?) c0ck up a few years ago when we signed the wrong one.

"Used to have" - not sure how deep it went but certainly in terms of sponsorship, funding and general rules, there were (that's past tense) two separate governing bodies - the SPL and the SFL, IIRC.

It now occurs to me that you could've also been incredibly pedantic by being strict in your definition of "governing body". Either way, hope the above clears things up for you.

No, it's always been the SFA.

The SPL, SFL and SPFL are league bodies, in the same way as the Premier League and the Football League are in England, La Liga in Spain and the Bundesliga in Germany. The 'governing bodies' in these countries are the SFA, FA, RFEF and DFB.

I believe as it stands at the moment the only way Tidser can play football again this season is by terminating his contract with Morton and playing 3 games as a trialist for the club or he could terminate the contract and resign for Rotherham and go out on loan and play till the end of the season but only for another English club.

Having said that I'd be surprised if these rules cannot be worked round given the reasons they are put in place does not apply to Tidser in this case.

He wouldn't have to resign with Rotherham: so long as he's not registered with us he's free to sign for any English club (or any league with a calendar year season).

If he is registered with us (doubtful) then he is out of options as he cannot register with a fourth club in one season.

He wouldn't have to resign with Rotherham: so long as he's not registered with us he's free to sign for any English club (or any league with a calendar year season).

If he is registered with us (doubtful) then he is out of options as he cannot register with a fourth club in one season.

I'm not even sure he could do that. My understanding is that the English FA loophole is that they don't recognise emergency loans. His loan to Oldham wasn't an emergency loan so he's already played for two registered clubs. In theory he could only play again this season for a different club if it's an emergency loan. Whether he can do that whilst being a free agent I don't know. From memory, emergency loan deals can only happen one week after the January window closes.

Duffy saying Tidser will come in and train with the squad as he's now in limbo. I don't think he's signed or the contract he did sign is now torn up.

Hope he comes back to us in May and signs a new contract if that's the case...

Ok, my mistake then. No idea the names of the Ayr players and then saw him mentioned when we played them - I assumed that as we had got rid of him he must have sorted another loan deal. Maybe we should take a leaf out of Equity's book and inisist players have to change their name so they have a unique name. Might prevent that Mark McCulloch (?) c0ck up a few years ago when we signed the wrong one.

The most ridiculous thing about the McCulloch situation was that they did have different names! We thought we were signing Mark, we actually signed Marc.

Left-backs called Marc: never trust them. Using a C instead of a K in that name is despicable behaviour.

The most ridiculous thing about the McCulloch situation was that they did have different names! We thought we were signing Mark, we actually signed Marc.

Left-backs called Marc: never trust them. Using a C instead of a K in that name is despicable behaviour.

I have never believed this to be true, sounds like a daft rumour that's grown legs.

No, it's always been the SFA.

The SPL, SFL and SPFL are league bodies, in the same way as the Premier League and the Football League are in England, La Liga in Spain and the Bundesliga in Germany. The 'governing bodies' in these countries are the SFA, FA, RFEF and DFB.

Clearly I'm not well-read on the difference between a league body and a governing body... Was simply commenting on how it's strange that two states within one country would require international clearance. Either way, seems abundantly clear that Tidser won't be playing for anyone for quite some time... Unless Oldham or Rotherham will take him back!

I have never believed this to be true, sounds like a daft rumour that's grown legs.

Yeah. I always thought it was a mix up between who Cowboy knew he was signing and who others at the club lazily thought we were signing (i.e whoever was updating the website etc). I could be wrong, that's just what I always assumed.

Yeah. I always thought it was a mix up between who Cowboy knew he was signing and who others at the club lazily thought we were signing (i.e whoever was updating the website etc). I could be wrong, that's just what I always assumed.

I'm pretty sure it was the chairman who issued a statement about us signing him, either in his programme notes or on the website.

Clearly I'm not well-read on the difference between a league body and a governing body... Was simply commenting on how it's strange that two states within one country would require international clearance. Either way, seems abundantly clear that Tidser won't be playing for anyone for quite some time... Unless Oldham or Rotherham will take him back!

'International' clearance is slightly misleading in that sense. It's club registration clearance that goes through national football associations, simply to determine that the former club is indeed passing on the registration.

In Tidser's case the SFA would have been looking at getting his registration passed on from Rotherham via the FA and at some point the SFA would have flagged up to us that we would be his third registered club this season.

I'm pretty sure it was the chairman who issued a statement about us signing him, either in his programme notes or on the website.

I couldn't remember who it was exactly, had it feeling that Dougie had a part in it. I just vaguely remember a statement about Marc McCulloch with Mark McCulloch's background info. But I don't remember any reason why Cowboy would have thought he was signing Mark rather than Marc.

With Tidser almost certainly out the picture for the rest of the season, how do we all think we will do in the run in?

Keep MacDonald and Caldwell fit and we'll probably win it. Even with no Tidser, Peaso's impact on the team will be league-winning. Great player.

With Tidser almost certainly out the picture for the rest of the season, how do we all think we will do in the run in?

Well, it obviously still leaves us short in midfield, so unless we bring in another midfielder or 2, we will continue to have issues there.

Archived