The Great Big Morton Thread

Donaldson needs shot for this! Pretty basic error on her part that's cost her employers a lot of money.

A fekin ridiculous rule that stops a player from being employed after he leaves a club is utter nonsense .

Exactly. Tids would have been effectively forced into unemployment (If we hadn't been so dumb as to sign him in these circumstances :bag ) Cant see any other form of employment getting away with such a stupid rule.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't have a player sitting around for 8 months that's just ridiculous. If we can't play him can we not loan him out in England in some kind of swap deal till the end of the season?

Seems like a kind of solution. I feel sorry for Tids - good deal or not -he'll be gutted, I'm sure.

Same thing happened to Colin Healy when he moved from Barnsley to Cork in Feb '07. FIFA rejected his appeal. he eventually made his debut on July '07.

Unless the rules have changed since then I don't see this being overturned.

That's extremely disappointing.

What an awful rule. What exactly is the point in it? All it does is restrict the employment prospects of players in the lower reaches of the game.

Same thing happened to Colin Healy when he moved from Barnsley to Cork in Feb '07. FIFA rejected his appeal. he eventually made his debut on July '07.

Unless the rules have changed since then I don't see this being overturned.

From what I've read, the issue was because the Irish have a summer season as opposed to the "regular" season. It appears FIFA changed their rules to take "summer football" into account. So a player (e.g., Tidser) moving from England to Ireland would be eligible to play for a third club, but moving from England to Scotland (same season format) isn't eligible.

I could have misinterpreted it though.

However there have been instances in English football when "emergency loans" haven't counted. This happened to Asmir Begovic when he moved to Stoke from Portsmouth (having been on an emergency loan to Ipswich). However I'm guessing Tidser's loan wasn't an "emergency" because it went through during the official transfer window.

I wonder what good it would do to change the law if any at all? For one, being on loan isn't normally the choice of the player but the Main club he's signed to as they normally feel he needs fitness or a different level or a team that can give them 1st team football experience.

Imo ( no straw clutching here just an honest opinion) loaned out players maybe should be exempt under certain criteria.

However Declan McManus will have suffered the same by being with us on loan. If there was a way round the 'loan period players' it may lead to more players being freed up to move about. Good or not I don't know.

Tidser should approach the Players Union & ask them to inform FIFA that this is a restriction of employment & he may have to take them to court if they don't give him an exemption.

Is that an avatar of Roddy Piper from 'They Live'?

There are two separate issues here:

1/ What appears to be a silly and draconian regulation.

2/ What appears to be bungling incompetence.

We live in a world of daft legislation, and the unfortunate fact of life is that if you break the law you are liable to pay the consequences.

I am bitterly disappointed in the Board of G.M.F.C.

Archived