North Korea behind Sony hack

FlyerTon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see this film now. Forbidden fruit etc.

It'll probably be shite, but hey ho.

Their plan has worked then. I've never heard of this film and I now want to watch it, just because.

The film appeared to have been getting roundly slaughtered by those that got to see the previews:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/the-interview

"During the titular sequence, Kim lets the beast out for a moment when he suggests that America is no better than North Korea in certain respects, a sharp point which the film inevitably discards, along with anything else that might insinuate that Rogen and Goldberg are interested in anything other than cock-centered humor. (Not for nothing is the film's most memorable joke the creation of the term "honeydick.").

That's not a knock against this brand of comedy, which certainly has its place, but rather against films like The Interview that use major global issues to cheaply dress up what is two hours of hit-and-miss erection jokes. For all the hoopla that's been made over the Sony hack and Kim's demands that the film be pulled from release, The Interview is all talk, a sheep in wolf's clothing, which makes its frivolous politics all the more odious."

http://time.com/3636016/the-interview-movie-review-canceled-sony-hack/

"This is your basic Rogen farce about sloppy-happy-harried stoners trying to bluff their way out of trouble. We mean Knocked Up, Superbad, Pineapple Express, Neighbors, This Is the End and nearly all other movies Rogen has starred in or written... the usual farrago of sexual outrage and guy-bonding, only this time in the guise of nervy satire using real names. (When Sacha Baron Cohen played The Dictator, he made fun of a whole swath of Middle East tyrants, not just one.)

"As always, they’re just teasing our expectations only to deflate them. The joke barrage becomes hit-or-miss, as if the creators — including screenwriter Dan Stewart, working from a story by Rogen and Greenberg — don’t know or care which is which.

"Maybe you will love The Interview — if you can ever see the movie — as much as some people hate or fear it. But if you’re hoping for any cogent political satire here, then the joke’s on you."

Which may go someway to explaining why Sony pulled the plug. Straight to DVD/BluRay, plenty will buy it en spec in the first week, & they'll recoup more of their costs than they would had it enjoyed a disastrous run in the cinema chains where word of mouth from disgruntled cinema goers would have doomed any after sales hopes.

If pro North Koreans were able to hack sophisticated computer systems of Western companies would they really do it just to stop a film being shown?

I would imagine there are far more destructive things they could do. Maybe hack Vodafone's bank account and pay some money to the tax man.

It looked shite but it's concerning that a film containing two of the biggest comedy actors can just be canned because of some threats. Can imagine more independent film-makers will be more reluctant to make satirical comedy because of this.

If pro North Koreans were able to hack sophisticated computer systems of Western companies would they really do it just to stop a film being shown?

I would imagine there are far more destructive things they could do. Maybe hack Vodafone's bank account and pay some money to the tax man.

Or hack Ann Budge's account and pay hearts former creditors in full.

Archived