Jefferies Gone

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Jim - you've done the right thing:

BOARD STATEMENT – JIM JEFFERIES

Tuesday, 16th Dec 2014

Board statement regarding Jim Jefferies

The Board of Dunfermline Athletic Football Club confirms that it has been informed by Jim Jefferies that he has decided to step aside as first team manager with immediate effect.

Head Coach, John Potter will now take responsibility for first team affairs until the end of this season with Neil McCann also continuing as Assistant Manager.

Jim’s intention had been to step aside at the end of the year with the team at the top of the league, and pass the reins on to John and Neil, with whom he has worked closely over the last three seasons. Unfortunately, recent results have not been satisfactory so Jim has decided that it is in the best interests of our club that he should step aside now.

The Board wish to place on record once again their extreme gratitude to Jim Jefferies for everything that he has done for our club over the last couple of seasons. There is no doubt that many other managers might have walked away from our club, faced with the difficulties in front of him. Jim’s influence, experience, dignity and leadership were an integral part of the efforts to save our beloved club from insolvency. We ask all Pars fans to remember this as Jim’s legacy, and he will of course always be welcome at East End Park.

The current season is pivotal to the long term survival and sustainability of our club as a full time team, so the Board felt action had to be taken to improve our immediate league position, and in turn increase our chances of promotion to the Championship.

John Potter and Neil McCann are both highly rated young coaches, and we ask every Pars fan to get behind John, Neil and the team for the rest of season as “we’re in this together” and to have any chance of realising our goal we need everyone pulling in the same direction.

All of us as Pars supporters have gone through too much in the last eighteen months to lose our focus or passion for our club at this difficult time.

Who "highly rates" Potter and McCann as youth coaches? The classic line in bullshit for youth coaching, a job at which everyone on Scottish football is apparently great, while never actually being judged on their outcomes.

Who "highly rates" Potter and McCann as youth coaches? The classic line in bullshit for youth coaching, a job at which everyone on Scottish football is apparently great, while never actually being judged on their outcomes.

Youth cup final and comfortably has the club holding it's own against premiership teams.

Potter knocked back a coaching role at Hearts recently. He has won our last five u-20 league games

Aggregate score of Pars 18 - 3 Dundee, Dundee Utd, Falkirk, Ross County, Partick

The performances and results of his team, plus the clear affection the players have him was a pretty stark contrast to how JJ was getting on with the first team. Also, Potter's u20s played Rangers near the end of last season and drew 1-1, whereas the 'proper' first team got cuffed by three or four goals each time.

I'm chuffed anyway as I've wanted Potter as manager for a while now. I know the name will mean nothing to most folk but I was a bit worried we'd lose him to another club if JJ struggled on.

See above. Every managerial appointment is a gamble of sorts but this was always the long term plan for this BOD once JJ moved on, so it's hardly a shock.

Potter should be ready to start. It was always the plan. A popular figure at EEP, doing well with U20s in a league full of Premiership clubs and is a Dunfermline fan. It sounds good enough to me. Said before I'd take Potter or Aitken.

Things can get a bit heated but I'd like to say all the best to JJ and fair play to him for realising he is past it and doing what was best for the club by stepping aside.

Dunfermline fans buying this was Jefferies stepping aside?

When it is quite clear the importance of promotion this season and the fact the statement even mentions 'the Board felt action had to be taken to improve our immediate league position'.

Archived