Question Time

Elixir

The point is not "Scotland never gets who it votes for", it's that "Scotland's votes are irrelevant in who it gets". We might as well not even get given a vote.

Any group of less than 30 million people could say that.

Any group of less than 30 million people could say that.

If you can, pet, try to draw up a table of any other 30 million people in the UK that wouldn't have decided an election one way or another in 90% of postwar elections.

If you can, pet, try to draw up a table of any other 30 million people in the UK that wouldn't have decided an election one way or another in 90% of postwar elections.

This argument has grown in line with the popularity of the SNP. Scotland has traditionally veered towards the Labour party and welcomed their appointment in government. The game has changed now in that the SNP could win 50 seats in May but we will still be governed from London. In which case we should hold an independence referendum to determine whether we are happy with that possible scenario, oh wait hang on a minute, didnt we have.... Edited by RedRob72

You're a nationalist. You want Scotland to be independent. Fair enough, but quit the hard done by shit eh. My constituency have voted Liberal for 42 years and have NEVER got the government 'we' voted for. It doesn't matter who 'we' vote for.

You're a nationalist. You want Scotland to be independent. Fair enough, but quit the hard done by shit eh. My constituency have voted Liberal for 42 years and have NEVER got the government 'we' voted for. It doesn't matter who 'we' vote for.

Aye we get it, we get your point.

Have you got any others?

Hmmm. So not they are not in government just now?

If Scotland votes overwhelmingly for the SNP then it is done with the knowledge that we will not and cannot get the government we voted for. Can you say the same?

Scots appear willing to show the main parties that we have moved on from the traditional politics of the UK and Scottish people will no longer be subservient to or complicit with the Labour and Tory parties.

The concern that this is causing south of the border is comical. Made even more so by the fact that there is absolutely nothing that thay can do about it and they have been caught unaware.

Charles Kennedy is an adult that holds an important position as an elected MP. He has a problem with alcohol andI have some sympathy with that but he also has, or certainly should have, a fairly elaborate support system through his family and the political party that he is a member of.

Therefore I see no reason why the BBC should be criticised for his involvement in the last QT programme.

Are there 30 million of you? Back up what you said.

Somebody once told me that the Tory/Unionist party only won their 1955 majority in Scotland by promising to bring boat-loads of bananas into Glasgow after the end of rationing. For people who possibly hadn't seen a yellow bendy fruit since 1939, this was (supposedly) a persuasive pledge indeed.

Looking back, the guy who told me this had a horrendous Murphy/McTernan-ish view of the Scottish electorate though, and he was almost certainly talking bollocks.

Yup, this is where the phrase "Aye, do you think I just sailed up the Clyde in a banana boat?" first entered popular parlance.

Few realise it originally refers to Glasgow Tories failing to keep to their election promises.

Scots appear willing to show the main parties that we have moved on from the traditional politics of the UK and Scottish people will no longer be subservient to or complicit with the Labour and Tory parties.

that's some leap of logic you are making there.

Does anyone out there who supports Scottish Independence give two shits about completely hypothetical English regional independence scenarios?

Serious question.

Berwick Mad, like so many in Northern England, doesn't know what a legitimate third option really is. Maybe he could make a difference to the future rather than just belittle those who have a pair.

It was a master stroke by Cameron to buddy up with his old Oxbridge chum. The Liberals/Social Democrats/LibDems dealt in rhetoric for decades. As soon as they were given a little responsibility they proved to be even more useless than was imagined. It's one of the great things about being in a very small minority; you can say what you want without fearing you'll ever be called to account. Bit like the Tory party in Scotland.

Edited by QPSAFalkirkFirm

Does anyone out there who supports Scottish Independence give two shits about completely hypothetical English regional independence scenarios?

Serious question.

Only in a very abstract sense.

Until Scotland votes for independence, I'd ideally like to see a federal setup in the UK. I don't see why it couldn't work with the 'units' (for want of a better word) having vastly different populations. I think federalism would be more acceptable if the English were open to dividing up their country but they obviously aren't.

Not that I think there's any serious desire for federalism in our power-hungry, centralised setup.

Only in a very abstract sense.

Until Scotland votes for independence, I'd ideally like to see a federal setup in the UK. I don't see why it couldn't work with the 'units' (for want of a better word) having vastly different populations. I think federalism would be more acceptable if the English were open to dividing up their country but they obviously aren't.

Not that I think there's any serious desire for federalism in our power-hungry, centralised setup.

I feel naturally inclined towards centralised power but I feel that now (with separate parliaments, post Indy-ref etc) federalism is the only option. Accepting that, the prospect of a Northern or Yorkshire parliament excites me.

Shortly before the referendum the only thing that made me consider changing my vote was musing over the issue of federalism vs centralised government. As someone who wants strong centralised government the logical conclusion was to vote for the situation that would best lead to one: an independent Scottish state with one parliament. Scotland is probably too small to bother with federalism, one parliament (one chamber) in Edinburgh is enough, we've a state small enough to rid ourselves of the notion of federalism. I still find it an intriguing and tempting prospect.

Edited by jmothecat

Equating your English electoral consituency with Scotland aint so bright either. And aye, last time I looked, the Lib Dems were in government.

Why? We were talking about not getting the government we voted for. Country, region, constituency, town or village matters not. It doesn't make you any more hard done by.

Berwick votes Liberal. Cowdenbeath votes Labour. How does Cowdenbeath not get a say in governing of the UK because it's in Scotland, but Berwick does because it's in England?

Serious question.

Not anymore mate. It's all bullshit and vague words. They're not serious.