Almost 50% of adults in England are on prescription medicines

jagfox

http://news.sky.com/story/1389496/half-of-women-take-prescription-medicines-study

Excludes contraceptives and anti-smoking prescriptions.

Costs the NHS £15Billion a year. Is this a good thing or indicative of our willingness to accept multiple prescriptions to cure our ills?

Statins, painkillers and anti-depressants are the top 3 type of prescriptions.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Includes contraceptives

If it includes that then I don't see what the big deal is unless we abolish the Act of Settlement and bring back absolute monarchy. Is birth control a bad thing all of a sudden? Wouldn't be such a good news story if you took that away from the figures I guess.

Eta: I'll be on prescription medicines for the rest of my life, helped by the city centre pharmacy repeatedly ordering them in for me it has to be said (what Addie makes reference to below). Thank fcuk for the Scottish 'freebies'.

Doesn't surprise me. I work in a GP Practice and the amount of prescriptions we do each day is astounding. One thing that really pisses me off is the CMS - a repeat prescription service that allows the pharmacy to prescribe meds for up to 56 weeks with no review by the Doctor. The amount of waste that causes is terrible IMO.

Well, I'm currently costing the NHS three figures a week for various prescriptions relating to my recovery from cancer. In saying that, for the last thirty years I've cost them next to bugger all. Swings and roundabouts, really.

In a wider context, there should be much more control of the prescription (and repeated supply) of anti-depressants, which have for many years led to long-term addiction for many patients - often without their knowing that it could be an issue.

If it includes contraceptives then it isn't that much of a story but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of the figures to see how many were for anti-depressants, high blood pressure, etc. to see if there is actually a problem with our society in some ways.

Well, I'm currently costing the NHS three figures a week for various prescriptions relating to my recovery from cancer. In saying that, for the last thirty years I've cost them next to bugger all. Swings and roundabouts, really.

In a wider context, there should be much more control of the prescription (and repeated supply) of anti-depressants, which have for many years led to long-term addiction for many patients - often without their knowing that it could be an issue.

What I find very wasteful is the sort of "we will try this and hope for the best" attitude to some anti-depressant prescriptions. Like you said, there's often a lack of understanding (or ignorance) about what potentially could be the issue, so GPs/Psychiatrists and the like chuck any old medications at the patient in the hope it goes onto help with their issue. The money would be better spent trying to understand why people develop certain mental health issues and then try and prevent them from developing where they can.

According to latest news report anti-cholesteral statins are #1 with Pain-killers and anti-depressants making up the top 3.

Painkillers - another pet hate. Taken by eedjits so they can carry on their lives as normal, rather than give the body time to fix what's actually causing the pain. And then, of course, ending up with a more serious problem.

And yes, they're eedjits, as you can get paracetamol and ibuprofen at the supermarket for less than a packet of crisps. Anyone getting this stuff at £8 plus a pop is just daft.

Painkillers - another pet hate. Taken by eedjits so they can carry on their lives as normal, rather than give the body time to fix what's actually causing the pain. And then, of course, ending up with a more serious problem.

And yes, they're eedjits, as you can get paracetamol and ibuprofen at the supermarket for less than a packet of crisps. Anyone getting this stuff at £8 plus a pop is just daft.

Are prescriptions not free in Scotland? I don't actually get any so I'm not certain but I thought that was one of the SNP's "big achievements".

Better to have free prescriptions for the middle classes than spend the millions on getting rid if the need for food banks.

It's a masterstroke.

Uh huh: how would the revenue made through prescription charges (less the cost of administering a means-tested system, so not much if any revenue anyway) 1) justifiably leave the NHS budget for general government spending and 2) actually get rid of the "need" for food banks? What specific measures could be funded by charging for prescriptions, and how would they eliminate food banks?

Seems to me that you haven't actually thought out how that would actually work, but just chucked in a doe-eyed 'but... foodbanks!' straw man to justify your seethe at another top-selling SNP policy.

Better to have free prescriptions for the middle classes than spend the millions on getting rid if the need for food banks.

It's a masterstroke.

Lets face it, the old system was worse.

The charge is supposed to be for the processing of the prescription and you get the drugs for free. In England they charge £8.05.

How useless is the system they have if they are trying to claim it costs that much to process?

Archived