Politician Spotting

Scary Bear

I met Ruth Davidson once and she didn't swear once. She must think it makes her sound relatable when she has to coverse with tradesman scheme goblin types.

Anyway, I meet politicians a fair bit. Last one I was speaking to for any length of time was Jenny Mara. Polite but seemed pretty disingenuous, which is exactly what I would've expected.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met Ruth Davidson once and she didn't swear once. She must think it makes her sound relatable when she has to coverse with tradesman scheme goblin types.

Anyway, I meet politicians a fair bit. Last one I was speaking to for any length of time was Jenny Mara. Polite but seemed pretty disingenuous, which is exactly what I would've expected.

^^^ Tradesman scheme goblin type IMO

Saw Iain Gray coming out a portaloo in Kelvingrove Park during the Mela one year. Looked sheepish enough to indicate he'd dropped off the best part of a Labour Party manifesto in there.

Also saw Eric Pickles coming off the plane I was about to get on to fly back up the road and worried the fat ride had fucked the suspension on the undercarriage.

Have seen Nicola Sturgeon and Angus Robertson out and about, and was with my maw when she got stopped by former Defence Secretary Des Browne in Kilmarnock town centre when he was canvassing in the run-up to the 1997 General Election. My mum told him to sort out the amount of dug shite in Kay Park, but I think he decided to bomb Iraq instead.

The sexiest by far was wee Paddy Harvie at a Green stall on Buchanan Street. I swear his baldy wee heid had a halo round it.

phmessiah-300x168.jpg

Dead ringer for Our Wullie. :lol:

She swears like a trooper. My best mate was part writing some of her speeches during the referendum campaign and was also part of her prep team for the televised debates. They were all absolutely shitting a brick that she would let fly with an expletive on live TV :lol:

Yes, heard she has quite a tongue on her....

Served Jim Murphy at the Celtic game the other night. He put a fiver on Celtic to win 5-0 but put it in the wrong box and I neglected to tell him.

Russell Brand talks about revolution but how's he fighting the Westminster machine?

When I was in primary 3 John Mason presented me with the award for best costume at a function in garrowhill primary school... If this counts

He's a Clyde season ticket holder so see him quite a bit.

Saw Anas Sarwar on the train to Edinburgh about a week before the referendum - he was wearing a 'No Thanks' badge and I a 'Yes' badge. Tense scenes.

I'm off work at the moment but I regularly serve Ken McIntosh in his local store - despite my firm Nationalist leanings (which he knows about) we get on very well and are on first name terms.

Jim Murphy pops in sometimes as well - against despite political differences I get on very well with him. He was in the day after the egg-throwing carry-on, and was on the phone a lot - a Better Together figure followed him in afterwards (not a guard, just by convenience). I was quite open with my opinions on Trident to her - he had left the store by then - but it was good-natured chatter... Jim is also notorious for nicking the newspapers after they've been scanned out in another shop (he still pays for them however). He was in for a photo shoot of some kind in the next booth from me in The Over Lee in Clarkston on Friday - asked the barwoman about it, she said he'd been in all day.

Round about referendum time a fair few yes (but more noes, its East Ren after all!) badges were going about with a favourite customer coming in with a no badge - after querying it with him he claimed he'd been called Quisling, Tory, traitor etc - to be fair, I think the second was accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Had anyone seen Eric Joyce kicking about the Falkirk area recently?

Last time I saw him was not long after the 2010 election. In saying that I don't live there so I'd only see him if I was at the football/visiting relatives/shopping

Certainly haven't seen him since his first bar brawl

I see Goldie around every so often, never spoken to her but she's about Inverclyde a lot. Saw Murphy on the 100 towns tour. He has a shite handshake.

Years back when I was a kid my grandfather collapsed in a cafe. As other customers moved to help him, Duncan McNeil sat looking puzzled, asking his minders what was going on in the manner of a confused child.

I've NEVER seen him in Falkirk or the local area, and I've lived here a long time.

Spends his time in London, pissed and assaulting people.

Surely there are plenty people up her who need a good slap. He could be the Scottish equivalent of Edward Woodward in the Equaliser. The Labour Party should let him stand for MSP. Holyrood needs some pie-kicking shenanigans to liven it up.

Was good to see our local homophobe MP Jim McGovern out supporting the city yesterday at the football...... Oh no wait he was in the Celtic end.

Tbf I don't grudge him getting to see his team after being made persona non grata on the no1 logged csc bus for his troughing at Westminster and stance on the referendum.

Walked behind the first minister from Buchanan Galleries to the bottom of Buchanan Street today. Pretty good that we live in a society where such a high profile politician can do some last minute Christmas shopping on her own with no apparent security around her.

Archived