Stirling's 13 Games Without Scoring.

I read a reference to this the other day but had never heard of it before. I don't suppose anyone has any details about how that 13 game spell, from February 1981 to the end of the season came about?

Is it a record? And how did Alex Smith not get his jotters at that point?

I read a reference to this the other day but had never heard of it before. I don't suppose anyone has any details about how that 13 game spell, from February 1981 to the end of the season came about?

We only conceded 12 goals in those 13 games with four 0-0 draws including one at Easter Road against the Hibs side that won the league. The 48 league goals against, was fewer than 8 of the 14 teams in the league., we finished second bottom to Berwick that year and were relegated to the old third division. It was actually a 14 games run which started with a 3-0 defeat at Celtic Park in the Scottish cup.

Edited to add scores

1 x 3-0

1 x 2-0

7 x 1-0

4 x 0-0

The season had started well with a 1-0 win over Celtic at Annfied although we lost the second leg 6-1 after extra time.

We only conceded 12 goals in those 13 games with four 0-0 draws including one at Easter Road against the Hibs side that won the league. The 48 league goals against, was fewer than 8 of the 14 teams in the league., we finished second bottom to Berwick that year and were relegated to the old third division. It was actually a 14 games run which started with a 3-0 defeat at Celtic Park in the Scottish cup.

Edited to add scores

1 x 3-0

1 x 2-0

7 x 1-0

4 x 0-0

The season had started well with a 1-0 win over Celtic at Annfied although we lost the second leg 6-1 after extra time.

Talk about throwing in the towel!

Guest The Phoenix

Talk about throwing in the towel!

Tommy Burns scored at the death in normal time or we'd have been through.

We were out on our feet.

I cried on the way home that day.

Tommy Burns scored at the death in normal time or we'd have been through.

We were out on our feet.

I cried on the way home that day.

We were down to 9 men in extra time Robert Beaton had been carried off and Davie Steedman sent off. A very young Charlie Nicholas came on as sub in extra time and scored two of the four goals. I think they may have been his first goals for them.

Guest The Phoenix
We were down to 9 men in extra time Robert Beaton had been carried off and Davie Steedman sent off. A very young Charlie Nicholas came on as sub in extra time and scored two of the four goals. I think they may have been his first goals for them.

The tears have re-surfaced!

Tommy Burns scored at the death in normal time or we'd have been through. We were out on our feet. I cried on the way home that day.

Should be more threads about these kinds of stories. Much better than guff about which manager is the pishiest.

I think I'm right in saying that Alex Smith's brother was on the board at the time, which perhaps explains how he survived it.

However I was only 5 at the time so I don't know for sure. His brother (John) was defo involved with the club from the late 80s, someone else will need to confirm if he was around in 1981.

I think I'm right in saying that Alex Smith's brother was on the board at the time, which perhaps explains how he survived it.

Nope, you'd be wrong - John Smith didnt join the board until after Alex Smith had gone to St Mirren.

Board 80-81

Chair - J. Mck Fergusson

Directors - The Chair plus P. Gardiner (secretary) , D. Roy, A.Johnson, R. Shankly

Roy and Shankly would both pass on before the end of the following season.

Results -

14/2 - SC3 - Celtic 0-3 a

21/2 - D1 - Raith 0-1 h

28/2 - D1 - Berwick 0-1 a

11/3 - D1 - Hamilton 0-2 h

14/3 - D1 - Dumbarton 0-0 h

21/3 - D1 - Falkirk - 0-0 a

24/3 - D1 - Dundee - 0-0 h

28/3 - D1 - Clydebank - 0-0 h

1/4 - D1 - The Shire - 0-1 a

4/4 - D1 - Hibs - 0-0 a

11/4 - D1 - Hamilton - 0-1 h

18/4 - D1 - Ayr - 0-1 a

25/4 - D1 - St Johnstone - 0-1 a

3/5 - D1 - Motherwell - 0-3 h

Despite not scoring for 13 games they only finished 5 points from safety. Looking at the attendance figures as well, there were only 652 at the Dundee game and only 640 at the Motherwell game. The game against the Shire had an attendance of 800 (sleeping giant!!)

I remember our first goal at the start of the next season being reported on the BBC news by Jan Leeming (a 4-1 defeat to Falkirk if I remember correctly - Booby Torrance scored).

I remember our first goal at the start of the next season being reported on the BBC news by Jan Leeming (a 4-1 defeat to Falkirk if I remember correctly - Booby Torrance scored).

I remember the Sunday Post match headline was - In a day of surprises even Stirling Albion score.

Cheers for filling in the details of this.

I've just dug out a football yearbook there from the 2010-11 season, and according to that, no other British side has ever scored fewer goals in a season than Stirling managed in 1980-81.

Loughborough also scored 18 in the English leagues in the 1899-1900 campaign, although they played 5 fewer league games than the Binos.

Unfortunately there's no listing for longest sequence without a goal.

Archived