Fake US Marine

Have you got a bit of alf in you?

Yes.

I spent 14 years pretending I wasn't in the forces!

I've only met one Walter who tried to say he was Special Forces, I was drinking with some civvy mates and he didn't know I was in the forces myself - made him look a bit of a c'nt in the end it has to be said :)

And FWIW I've been on exercise with the SBS ... and they were a bunch of c'nts - thought they could go straight to the front of the dinner queue ... which they did every night ... and nobody complained :unsure2:

:lol: I have to admit I used to love lying about what I did for a living. Used to tell folk I owned a pet shop. Sad thing is, owning a pet shop would have been more exciting.

I recall a lad on submarines telling the rest of the crew that he was special forces and used to work for MI5 etc. Quite sad really.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an unhealthy fetisihization of the military here in the US and I suspect this boy was just trying to be a part of it.

Every sporting event features a mandatory "Salute to the men and women of our armed forces". Phrases like "If you can read this in English, thank a veteran" and "that's the sound of freedom, son" (referring to low flying aircraft, for example) are bandied around with a straight face. And around Veteran's Day (November) and Memorial Day (May) the military has a bigger presence than in a 3rd world dictatorship. You even see ridiculous shit like NFL football players using camouflage towels "as a tribute." Bleh.

So, in addition to the discounts, (of which there are many), fatty was probably getting off on the adulation, people shaking his hand, thanking him for his service and for protecting their freedom and so on.

Sad.

Getting a discount for being a squaddie :lol:

The Americans and their pathetic jingoism and subsequent fawning over their armed forces is an embarrassment.

This just reminded me of the Futurama episode where Bender and Fry sign up for the army just to get a discount on chewing gum only for war to be declared seconds later

war-were-declared-o.gif

Our manager in McDonalds when I was working there as a Plukey 16-17 year old used to make us give them discounted meals for being "brave men"

Nobody seemed to mention to her the ones that came in every Sunday were in the TA, or something similar and had a 5% chance of going into active service

The Royal Family have been doing this for years.

:lol:

Remember how everyone was defending Prince Ginger when the pictures of him partying nekkid in Las Vegas came out? "He's a brave member of our armed forces and deserves a break." Aye, because he'd just got back from a rigorous tour of duty watching the Olympic Games.

There is an unhealthy fetisihization of the military here in the US and I suspect this boy was just trying to be a part of it.

Every sporting event features a mandatory "Salute to the men and women of our armed forces". Phrases like "If you can read this in English, thank a veteran" and "that's the sound of freedom, son" (referring to low flying aircraft, for example) are bandied around with a straight face. And around Veteran's Day (November) and Memorial Day (May) the military has a bigger presence than in a 3rd world dictatorship. You even see ridiculous shit like NFL football players using camouflage towels "as a tribute." Bleh.

So, in addition to the discounts, (of which there are many), fatty was probably getting off on the adulation, people shaking his hand, thanking him for his service and for protecting their freedom and so on.

Sad.

I was quite shocked at how aggressive the advertising and campaigning was on the TV when I was in Texas.

It was like an advert out of Starship Troopers or Robocop. We were a bit pished and started saluting each other and got some nasty looks of the other people in the restaurant...

I seem to remember that united and American Airlines automatically upgrade anyone travelling in millitary uniform to first class and punters being chucked out first class to accommodate this. The discounts they get are unbelievable there's a resort at Disney world called shades of green where they get cut price holidays etc. I think it's a bit mad but you can almost understand why walts kind of gravitate towards it, though who in their right mind would actually believe that guy was SF?

Black Hawk Down Friday eh?

Although I did like the bit where the cameraman's wife starts giving him shit. Gives the impression he's just a tad too obsessed with his status as a member of the military.

His ancestors didn't kill all they native Americans and stole their land in the name of freedom for nothing you know.

Have some respect

I seem to remember that united and American Airlines automatically upgrade anyone travelling in millitary uniform to first class and punters being chucked out first class to accommodate this.

I travel American and United quite a bit and haven't come across that one. I suspect though, that unlike we peasants in coach, the airlines aren't going to risk upsetting their first class passengers. Active military members 'do' get to board the plane before the rest of us, although that has always struck me as a questionable perk.l

Doing the rounds on Facebook just now.

I don't know who to pity most here, the guy pretending to be the Marine, or the guy who confronted him

Bit strange all round, there was a boy kicking around the arboretum in remembrance day in fake Para gear, strange people.

Do members of the armed forces not get discounts from certain companies in the UK? I know they can get 1/3rd off of Scotrail with a rail card.

Discount at nandos aswell #LivingTheLife

Had an image in my head of some boy kicking about with an SAS cap badge in his pocket :lol::lol::lol:

Was my initial impression, would genuinely make my day.

I played a gig in Montrose last year and some Walter Mitty came up requesting a song and flashed some badge told me he was off duty SAS and would I play a song for him, I'm not even sure SAS get a badge?

Might I suggest liar by the sex pistols?

Archived