Cooking chips.

Is it normal to cook chips in a pot of oil in your house  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it was slightly tongue in cheek obviously, but it's pretty dangerous and unhealthy, and I can't imagine for the amount of oil you need to use it's any cheaper than just going to the chippie.

It's not that dangerous. It would only become dangerous if you didn't keep an eye on the chips cooking for a long period of time, which would be foolish. And the oil is re-used - I re-use it certainly. A really quick and easy way to cook chips. Not really healthy but when choosing to eat chips health isn't at the forefront of my mind.

It's not that dangerous. It would only become dangerous if you didn't keep an eye on the chips cooking for a long period of time, which would be foolish. And the oil is re-used - I re-use it certainly. A really quick and easy way to cook chips. Not really healthy but when choosing to eat chips health isn't at the forefront of my mind.

Where do you put the oil after you use it? Do you strain it at any point? How often do you replace the oil?

26-24 to the normal people as it stands.

#The52

Where do you put the oil after you use it? Do you strain it at any point? How often do you replace the oil?

#The52

Oil goes back into its jug. Like a sealed plastic pouring container.

The oil is very rarely changed - it can be re used over and over again. Over time you'll get food particles building up so there will come a time when that needs to be removed.

This may be conflating two threads but here was a bloke on Radio 4 earlier who was grumping about Black Friday and how he went to Tesco to buy a cheap telly, was thwarted and ended up buying a chip pan and basket just so he could have a bargain even though he doesn't eat chips..

He then phoned You and Yours to complain about feeling under pressure. I'd say? Enjoy yer chips ya daft c**t.

#The52

Oil goes back into its jug. Like a sealed plastic pouring container.

The oil is very rarely changed - it can be re used over and over again. Over time you'll get food particles building up so there will come a time when that needs to be removed.

I make potato wedges every now and then and had a tub of oil that I must have used at least ten times, adding assorted spices to it each time and straining it. Had went from the normal oil colour to dark brown but with minimal effect on the taste of the actual things though.

But yeah, this is how chip pans work. And owing to having seen live demonstrations by the fire brigade about twenty times when I was at school I know to not let it go on fire and to not throw water over it if it does.

When I was at Uni someone in our Halls bought a chip pan. One afternoon I was sitting in my room and there was a knock at the door. It was chip pan boy. He calmly said 'oh, just knocking as I've started a slight fire in the kitchen, not sure what to do.'

Ran through to the kitchen expecting a giant fire those scary videos show at school, but it was tiny (about a foot high, nothing like those eight foot giant fires the fireman's video showed). Damp tea towel and it went out. If that is typical of chip pan fire (only one I've seen so no other point of reference) then for the life of me I can't understand why they cause so many house fires.

I can only imagine it's evolution weeding out the weak.

When I was at Uni someone in our Halls bought a chip pan. One afternoon I was sitting in my room and there was a knock at the door. It was chip pan boy. He calmly said 'oh, just knocking as I've started a slight fire in the kitchen, not sure what to do.'

Ran through to the kitchen expecting a giant fire those scary videos show at school, but it was tiny (about a foot high, nothing like those eight foot giant fires the fireman's video showed). Damp tea towel and it went out. If that is typical of chip pan fire (only one I've seen so no other point of reference) then for the life of me I can't understand why they cause so many house fires.

I can only imagine it's evolution weeding out the weak.

f**k me a student that's never passed out cold when pished. What is the education system coming too?

Tax dodgers in my day learnt how to get pished properly.

Gonna put you down on my tax form next month for a rebate.

Grimbo

I'm thinking this is a generational thing. being an auld c**t I remember with fondness when cips would always be deep fried.

These days I very rarely cook chips but last time I did it was the 'proper' beef dripping salt water soaked to remove starch and dried very thoroughly.

The taste is far better but you could never be bothered doing it all the time.

Edit: Not that I eat chips all the time anyway. Lucky if I have them once a fortnight.

Chip pan fires eh, how mental were they. A common occurrence in the 70's and 80's among the scottish alcoholics. It was the classic case of coming home from the boozer sticking on the chip pan and crashing out. A chip pan was a weapon of mass destruction in the hands of a steaming Scotsman. It might have been darwins natural selection in full effect mind you

Going back 20 odd years, maybe a little longer, my dad lived on the 12th floor of a block of flats in Clydebank. One of the neighbors was a fairly notorious jakey(Nice enough guy sober, absolute bell end with a drink in him) who set fire to his kitchen in the manner mentioned above on a relatively regular basis. On one occasion my old man had to kick in the door to his flat and drag the guy out, seemingly unconscious from smoke inhalation. Almost as soon as my old man dropped him on the deck, the guy stood up, staggered back into the flat, went into the kitchen and dropped the chip pan out the window from 12 floors up. At the time I thought this was quite funny, but looking back it's a miracle no one ended up seriously injured or worse.

Not sure if he had crinkle cut chips in there.

Archived