Cooking chips.

Is it normal to cook chips in a pot of oil in your house  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I very rarely cook chips in the house as I prefer a more nutritious diet and usually only get them from the chippy (backwards hillbillys please note that I did not say 'chipper'). However, when I do cook them I usually just stick them in the oven for 15-20 mins or whatever it says on the pack.

In the pub on Thursday, a mate was telling me a story about how jamamafegan had come to his house and filled a pot with olive oil or vegetable oil and cooked chips in it. We all agreed this was absolutely bizarre behaviour but he seemed to think it was normal to cook chips in a pot of oil in your house. I have never heard of this happening outside of the pre-war era.

Please confirm to him that this is mental behaviour.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put the chipped potatos in cold water for about fifteen minutes before taking them out and drying them (takes the starch out). Then fry with a little oil for about five minutes before placing in the oven on a high heat with more olive oil. Check and turn them every five minutes for aprox 30 minutes.

Amazing chips, go perfectly with a nice medium-rare rib steak.

Put the chipped potatos in cold water for about fifteen minutes before taking them out and drying them (takes the starch out). Then fry with a little oil for about five minutes before placing in the oven on a high heat with more olive oil. Check and turn them every five minutes for aprox 30 minutes.

Amazing chips, go perfectly with a nice medium-rare rib steak.

Whoa, fucking hell Jamie Oliver! That's all very good but that's a lot of effort to cook chips. That's nearly an hour you've taken to cook them.

What we're talking about here is straight up getting big handful of chips, throwing them in a pot of oil and cooking them.

Whoa, fucking hell Jamie Oliver! That's all very good but that's a lot of effort to cook chips. That's nearly an hour you've taken to cook them.

What we're talking about here is straight up getting big handful of chips, throwing them in a pot of oil and cooking them.

It's worth the effort.

In that case, oven for fifteen minutes before an evening of regret for not putting that effort into making nicer chips.

When you say 'a little oil', how much is a little? We talking tablespoons?

One table spoon for the frying, about six for the oven stage.

I used leftover goose fat once (basically being lazy and forgetting to clean the baking tray so just going with the residue). They were pretty amazing but I could feel my arteries clogging.

I have done thin actually. I tend to put veg oil into a deep wok and after the chips have been parboiled and then dried I stick them into the wok.

A bit strange perhaps but the chips always come out fine. The type of tattie used is important too - I prefer the Albert Bartlet tatties for chips.

Archived