The Dim Duffy TTG Thread

Under contract so would be very expensive for you, even if our Committee agreed

Uh huh: Somehow I'm sure that we could afford the utterly insignificant, five-figure sum and 'away fans have to visit the social club' diddy agreement expected by your 'committee'; if Aitken ever has the opportunity to get the job that he desperately craves more than any other at Greenock Morton Football Club then you'd have absolutely no chance of stopping it.

Fortunately for you our chairman is still a complete and utter moron so Duffy's position isn't in doubt, but we will still effortlessly determine Aitken's stance between now and his inevitable elevation to the role.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stranraer fans clearly seem to be breaking into fits of idiocy at the prospect of Morton poaching Aitken from their club, an outcome which he has been targeting for at least the past year.

Not to worry, as our chairman is notoriously incompetent and won't bother to replace Duffy until the meaningful league campaign is over.

Really? Stranraer fans know Aitken will move on to bigger, better things. Not one fan would grudge him a step up.

How much can Ayr / Greenock Morton players expect to earn by being full-time players?

This is why the argument that full-time teams should walk this league is silly. Yes if you are a new team with no inherited debts and a Board that let's you spend at around the level of the annual budget of a developing country you will walk the lower divisions, rising undefeated to the Premiership and winning the Challenge Cup three times on the way. But if you are paying the sorts of levels that full time teams pay at the bottom of tier 2 or top of tier 3, this will be at a level deeply unattractive to potential signings who already have decent jobs/careers. So given what you can afford probably better to aim to pay the best part time wages. Your will have a better squad.

We made 1 substitution yesterday. 1 sub, even after 2 red cards and being 2-0 down. 1 sub. Bringing off a centre mid playing left mid for a genuine left-sided player. Duffy's tactical ineptitude, inability to motivate players, complete lack of imagination, and sheer ignorance of how to change a game all highlights for the second week in a row. Anything good that comes from this team is in spite of Duffy - not because of him. Duffy out.

This is why the argument that full-time teams should walk this league is silly. Yes if you are a new team with no inherited debts and a Board that let's you spend at around the level of the annual budget of a developing country you will walk the lower divisions, rising undefeated to the Premiership and winning the Challenge Cup three times on the way. But if you are paying the sorts of levels that full time teams pay at the bottom of tier 2 or top of tier 3, this will be at a level deeply unattractive to potential signings who already have decent jobs/careers. So given what you can afford probably better to aim to pay the best part time wages. Your will have a better squad.

How many times has a full time team failed to finish above a part time team in this division in the past decade?

Until today you were too. You're in a playoff place and one win away from the top spot. How can you possibly be complaining about your manager. Just think back to last season.

Yeah, I have thought back to last season. We're an even worse team now. Duffy is a complete failure of a manager and there's absolutely no chance of us winning promotion with him in charge. We're fifteen games into the league season and we've already lost six: you can't get anywhere near promotion if you lose more than a third of your games.

Stranraer have upward momentum right now, if Morton and Dunfermline don't get rid of Duffy and Jefferies you're going to end up miles ahead of both of us by the end of the season. The notion that Morton and Dunfermline fans wanting managers out is a product of delusions of grandeur is utterly false. Yes, neither side has any divine right to challenge for the title, but making a challenge is a perfectly reasonable expectation and it's apparent that both Duffy and Jefferies will fail to sustain one.

Are we possibly the last, when Stranraer beat us to 2nd place back in 2005?

Partick finished below Peterhead in 2006, but we know what happened after that. What about Ayr and Raith finishing below Stirling (and in Ayr's case Brechin) the year we won the title? There could also be a few examples from the 2007-08 season, depending on Ayr and Raith's status.

03/04: part-timers Hamilton and Dumbarton finished above full-time Morton (4th placed), while FT Airdrie won the league

04/05: PT Brechin and Stranraer finished above FT Morton (3rd placed)

05/06: PT Peterhead finished above FT Partick Thistle (4th placed), while FT Gretna and Morton were 1st and 2nd

06/07: FT Morton were top

07/08: FT Ross County were top

08/09: No FT teams

09/10: No FT teams

10/11: FT Livingston were top

11/12: No FT teams

12/13: FT Queen of the South were top

13/14: FT Rangers and Dunfermline were 1st and 2nd

So basically, full-time teams have a clear advantage over the rest. There have been nine instances of a full-time side finishing above all the part-time teams, while there have been three instances of a full-time side finishing below part-time sides. Two of those three were Morton, the most shambolically run club in Scotland and probably the world. If Duffy remains in charge you can guarantee we'll be adding to that list, again.

Partick finished below Peterhead in 2006, but we know what happened after that. What about Ayr and Raith finishing below Stirling (and in Ayr's case Brechin) the year we won the title? There could also be a few examples from the 2007-08 season, depending on Ayr and Raith's status.

I'm sure Raith were part-time their whole time in this division, as were Ayr until this season, but happy to be corrected on that if either stayed full-time in their first season down or were a hybrid.

I'm sure Raith were part-time their whole time in this division, as were Ayr until this season, but happy to be corrected on that if either stayed full-time in their first season down or were a hybrid.

I honestly don't know- I've only suggested they might have been. I'd say Thistle are the most recent certainty though.

We won 3 out of 3 SPFL games in November and finished the month top of the league, based on that it's an understandable decision. The month just happened to be bookended by abysmal Scottish Cup performances, the latter one being one of the worst results in our history - totally incidental to the SPFL.

I was actually part of the judging panel for November's awards. I nominated Stevie Aitken at Stranraer for the League 1 award (pointing out just how good a job he's done over the course of the season) but was overruled by a pretty large majority.

My argument against Jim Duffy was that the cup defeat should negate anything else and other than Forfar Athletic, his team had beaten jobbers in Airdrieonians and Stenhousemuir. Alas, the Forfar result seemed pretty impressive to the rest of the panel and he was given it on the back of that. Someone else pointed out Morton had beaten Dunfermline Athletic in the same period, which turned out to be incorrect - I only realised this when I got home.

I was actually part of the judging panel for November's awards. I nominated Stevie Aitken at Stranraer for the League 1 award (pointing out just how good a job he's done over the course of the season) but was overruled by a pretty large majority.

My argument against Jim Duffy was that the cup defeat should negate anything else and other than Forfar Athletic, his team had beaten jobbers in Airdrieonians and Stenhousemuir. Alas, the Forfar result seemed pretty impressive to the rest of the panel and he was given it on the back of that. Someone else pointed out Morton had beaten Dunfermline Athletic in the same period, which turned out to be incorrect - I only realised this when I got home.

You might want to do your homework before the next judging panel!

Archived