The Dim Duffy TTG Thread

As it says on the tin, even another 18 league wins this season wouldn't dispel the 'see or you wouldn't believe it' incompetent nature of Dim 'Jim' Duffy trying to organise a football side. Much like Ross County when Dick Campbell was briefly in charge, we hilariously top this league in spite of, rather than because of the manager, and unless we ditch him then we will not even be close to an acceptable result ie promotion.

Time to go Jim!

JS45651458.jpg

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

completely clueless when it comes to substitutions. He has no idea when to make them or what to change. Thats a few games now the opposition are getting the better of us in the second half and Duffy just stands there like a clown despite our fans constantly screaming for a change. When he does decide to change it (which is usually too late) he makes the completely wrong substitution. He has absolutely no idea what to do when the game isn't going our way and that was evident today. The result today was completely unacceptable and it just shows how much Duffy is out of his depth - TTG Jim!

Just as well the standard of this league is sh*te or we would be no where near the top.

^^^

Verge of tears etc.

Imagine the reaction if we weren't actually TOP OF THE FUCKING LEAGUE!

The result yesterday was unacceptable, and we need to bounce back from it, but I certainly wouldn't be calling for the manager's head over it.

It's not like this was a flukey, one-off, smash & grab on the part of Spartans though. They were the better team and the flaws in our performance were symptomatic of the the problems we've had all season, the vast majority of which are of Duffy's making. You can say we're top of the league and therefore he should stay but that misses the point, as VT illustrated with the examples of McCormack and Campbell.

McCormack should be a particularly pertinent warning for us. At Dundee he was top of the league but form had collapsed and they were in danger of blowing it, so they sacked him and a new manager stablised things and won them the league. Their ruthless treatment of a manager won them the league. At Morton he was top of the league but form collapsed and we were in danger of blowing it, but it was argued that he was the man who'd got us to the top in the first place so we had to stand by him. From 13 points ahead of second place (17 points ahead of Airdrie) at Christmas, we finished the season 11 points off first place in fourth. Our patience and loyalty with a manager cost us promotion, and we didn't get it for another three years. If that season didn't teach Morton fans that you don't blindly stick by a manager just because you're top of the league when it's apparent that the manager doesn't have a clue what he's doing and you're in real danger of falling away, I don't know what will.

Duffy has displayed incompetence in every aspect of management. If we get him out now and appoint a competent manager while we're still top of the league or near it, we're giving that manager enough time to salvage a title challenge, also giving him time to assess the squad before January. If we wait until we've fallen away, we're fucked. No guarantee he'd take it now, but the longer we wait I fear it'll become more and more likely that Stranraer will go ahead of us and pull away, meaning Stevie Aitken would be even less likely to take the job.

Imagine the reaction if we weren't actually TOP OF THE FUCKING LEAGUE!

The result yesterday was unacceptable, and we need to bounce back from it, but I certainly wouldn't be calling for the manager's head over it.

The incompetence yesterday really was staggering. We had lost the midfield from the start of the second half (and it hadnt really worked from the start of the match) but Duffy refused to do anything until it was too late. When he did change something he brought on another forward, leaving only O'Ware, McKee, and JMcCluskey in midfield. SMcCluskey was having a nightmare, he should have been taken off long before he was sent off.

I actually don't know why he changed the shape of the team in the first place by dropping Crawford and starting with Lamie. With Pepper out at well we lost most of the energy in midfield that had been working for us. McKee and O'Ware had been a terrible pairing in midfield the whole match but Duffy had no plan to change it. I'm not calling for his head, but for those of us who were bemused by his appointment it's another dent in confidence in Duffy.

No getting away from the fact that yesterday's was a disgusting result from a team at the top of league one. Not looking for excuses for Duffy but the spine of our team was ripped out with the loss of Gaston/Pepper/McManus/and his stand in - Scullion. It was never going to be an easy away game in these circumstances against a team with nothing to lose - whatever the result. Despite the examples surrounding McCormack - I would say that it's hard to justify sacking a manager when your team is sitting top.

Yesterdays result ( as Spoonton suggests) boosts the case for the prosecution, as it were.

With the injury situation - a win at Stranraer is looking rather remote - so it's not hard to imagine the pressure piling on Duffy if we start slipping down the table. Yesterday did him no favours.

No getting away from the fact that yesterday's was a disgusting result from a team at the top of league one. Not looking for excuses for Duffy but the spine of our team was ripped out with the loss of Gaston/Pepper/McManus/and his stand in - Scullion. It was never going to be an easy away game in these circumstances against a team with nothing to lose - whatever the result. Despite the examples surrounding McCormack - I would say that it's hard to justify sacking a manager when your team is sitting top.

Yesterdays result ( as Spoonton suggests) boosts the case for the prosecution, as it were.

With the injury situation - a win at Stranraer is looking rather remote - so it's not hard to imagine the pressure piling on Duffy if we start slipping down the table. Yesterday did him no favours.

Normally, yes. But Duffy has shown very clearly that he's totally inept in every single area of managing a football team.

Even if we go up, we would have 0 chance of staying there under Duffy and it would be a total waste of 2 seasons.

Normally, yes. But Duffy has shown very clearly that he's totally inept in every single area of managing a football team.

Even if we go up, we would have 0 chance of staying there under Duffy and it would be a total waste of 2 seasons.

I've thought about going up with JD as manager. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Top of the table, but Jim Duffy is "totally inept in every single area of managing a football team". Surely that's a contradiction in itself?

I would just like to add that I was totally against Duffy getting the job in the first place, and would hate to see him manage us if we wee to gain promotion, but right now, he is performing above expectation in the league.

Top of the table, but Jim Duffy is "totally inept in every single area of managing a football team". Surely that's a contradiction in itself?

I would just like to add that I was totally against Duffy getting the job in the first place, and would hate to see him manage us if we wee to gain promotion, but right now, he is performing above expectation in the league.

Dougie Rae himself could've managed us to the top of this league. Duffy's signings have, on the whole, been nothing short of abysmal. His team talks seem to cause us to play much worse, and his substitutions are laughable. Tactically he doesn't a have a clue either, the only good thing he's done well the whole season is to play O'Ware in the middle against Dunfermline to block out Falkingham. He then decided to do this for every single subsequent game, despite the fact he's useless in the middle when he's not marking someone out the game and would be much better used to replace one of the bomb-scares we have at centre back.

It's not at all Darren. He's fluked his way there with fulltime football, and Declan McManus. Without him, we'd be struggling badly. If he goes in January, we will slowly slide down the table.

For an ex-professional, who was by reports, a very excellent defender, it baffles me as to why he simply cannot spot, or organise, a decent defence.

Sacking a manager at the top of the league isn't ideal and if he gets us up, fair play to him, but the thought of this moron leading us into the Championship division 1, makes me shudder.

I still think he's doing a better job than Jefferies. Cup exits like yours might be grim but I saw Spartans a couple times in preseason and they're far from terrible on that pitch. In our last 7 league and cup games, you guys are the only full time side we've faced. The only wins we've managed wins came against 'Shire and Stirling Albion.

Dougie Rae to punt Duffy and appoint Jefferies would be the ideal scenario. Rae and Jefferies would get on like a house on fire and seem to have the same detachment from reality.

Once again, that familiar Saturday night feeling for Morton fans when, if we had let ourselves forget it even for a second, we've just been reminded that we are indeed still the laughing stock of Scottish football.

Absolutely unforgivable at the best of times, but when the draw had thrown the top 14 teams in the country against each other meaning a lot of the bigger teams are going out at the first stage AND we are drawn against non-league opposition there can be absolutely no excuses for not being in the last 16. That's a firing offense if I ever seen one.

Ok, I KNOW the bigger cause of the problems at Cappielow are much higher up and I agree that it is long overdue that things changed at boardroom level. Someone posted elsewhere on P&B:

'What's most embarrassing: promotion implosion, the season-long slump last year, MorTEN, or this monstrosity of a result?'

That's Rae's legacy right there, summed up in a sentence. How long is he going to keep that train of despair going?

But we cannot let that get in the way of the here and now. Our manager is a dud. He's always been a dud. He's still a dud. Nobody wanted him, but we got him and he continues to prove he is a dud. Time to get rid. Yes, we are top of the league - not because of our manager, but in spite of him. We would not be the first team to sack a manager when top of the league. Do it now.

His tactics are non-existent. He has NO ability to change a game. When the entire crowd can see what is happening and are screaming for a change he does nothing. Then when he finally makes a change, they are nothing short of baffling. Stenny nearly got us last week when they came in to the game in the second half until we sneaked a goal on the break. Spartans made it count. This is the era of Scottish Football where young managers are given the gigs and making it count. And we appoint Jim Duffy. Get him out now.

The players shouldn't be excused. Their attitude was way off yesterday. Never got out of first gear once, no tempo whatsoever. Should have put the game to bed. It was like they were there for a party (celebrating like they won the World Cup when we went 1-0 up against a non-league team). Get a grip. Hang your heads in shame.

Well done to Spartans. They were up for it, they wanted it and they deserved it. Great wee set up over there.

For us, the despair continued. ****ed if I'm going to Stranraer next week. Not a chance.

I still think he's doing a better job than Jefferies. Cup exits like yours might be grim but I saw Spartans a couple times in preseason and they're far from terrible on that pitch. In our last 7 league and cup games, you guys are the only full time side we've faced. The only wins we've managed wins came against 'Shire and Stirling Albion.

Dougie Rae to punt Duffy and appoint Jefferies would be the ideal scenario. Rae and Jefferies would get on like a house on fire and seem to have the same detachment from reality.

He is doing a better job than Jefferies, but that doesn't mean he's doing an acceptable job: Jefferies is well past the point of no return and it should be a matter of when, not if, he's sacked.

I'm getting the fear that Dunfermline will sack Jefferies soon, decide that now isn't the time to take a risk on Potter or McCann and get Stevie Aitken before we can. You'll win the league at a canter.

I'd point out that for all that we're sitting top right now, fourteen games into the season we've already lost five. That's not good enough and there's no chance of us winning the league if we lose games at the same rate throughout the season.

He's performing just about to expectancy I'd say, or to about the minimal level of expectancy. Dunfermline's horrible failure so far this season is keeping us top. We'd be behind Dunfermline at this stage last season (and they were second behind Rangers) and 8 points behind QotS from this stage 2 years ago. We're on course for 69 points, which isn't usually enough to win this league and the bare minimum we should be looking for as a full time team in this league is about 70 points.

Stranraer is a big one, if we lose that there's a very good chance that we'll go fourth. By this I mean, 4th is surely below expectancy level, and you shouldn't be able to go from performing above expectations to below in just one game.

He's performing just about to expectancy I'd say, or to about the minimal level of expectancy. Dunfermline's horrible failure so far this season is keeping us top. We'd be behind Dunfermline at this stage last season (and they were second behind Rangers) and 8 points behind QotS from this stage 2 years ago. We're on course for 69 points, which isn't usually enough to win this league and the bare minimum we should be looking for as a full time team in this league is about 70 points.

Stranraer is a big one, if we lose that there's a very good chance that we'll go fourth. By this I mean, 4th is surely below expectancy level, and you shouldn't be able to go from performing above expectations to below in just one game.

I should have said that he is performing above my expectations. As you say, we are probably about where we should points wise this season. A new team would be expected to lose a few games at the start of the season, and we've come good (certainly results-wise) since then. Duffy's future at the club could depend on how we react to this defeat.

Archived