Festive Period Fixtures

bc57

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with some of your points Hertha! As a player it's always good to be playing cause no doubt if we weren't then most gaffers would have their players in training at some point over the festive period! Now teams need to prepare for games on the 27th with probably only one training session due to the fact Xmas is on the Thursday! Can't see teams training on Xmas eve! Not ideal! Are you short changing the paying punter cause you can't prepare you team as you would normally do??

Also it's only technically semi pro for some players as some players are on amateur contracts. So can they be branded as a semi pro??

I can see both sides of the argument and I think the sjfa wouldn't win either way to be honest! As I said as a player I would prefer to play but I know others who wouldn't!

Good points made there mate and if it was a choice of clubs to play based on players thoughts and our team were the only ones to say no to playing then I honestly wouldn't hold it against our players if they preferred to spend time with their families and I would just like them opt to spend further time with my own family .

However as you said if games weren't being played then maybe players would be required to train and I've yet to talk to any player who would rather train than play as its a no brainer.

I've no complaints about playing over the festive period as I think it's good to not have a break!

My only issue around things is that if all our fixtures go ahead, if we include 1 Scottish cup fixture and 1 ayrshire cup fixture guaranteed, we will only have 10 fixtures to be played between January and end of May!

10 fixtures in 5 months is not particularly good when you consider that we will only have 4 home games guaranteed from January to May! That's a sore one on the finances for sure!

Only in Scotland would we want games off so players can have a swally

In my day (The late 80s early 90s) I got pished most Fridays before every game regardless of time of year :king

Some Fridays I would be disciplined and go up the snooker club with a mate. However come 10pm it usually was playing for double voddies on the pool table against the local gangsters.

Even in the seniors it was never that much of a suprise to spot a team-mate in Fat Sams

Must be changed days now

I've no complaints about playing over the festive period as I think it's good to not have a break!

My only issue around things is that if all our fixtures go ahead, if we include 1 Scottish cup fixture and 1 ayrshire cup fixture guaranteed, we will only have 10 fixtures to be played between January and end of May!

10 fixtures in 5 months is not particularly good when you consider that we will only have 4 home games guaranteed from January to May! That's a sore one on the finances for sure!

As of Saturday 31st January Vale of Leven will have 1 league fixture left, never finished a season in february before, is it time for a revamp of the leagues?

As a player I'd say the time off is welcomed. The break from the end of season 2013/14 to the start of pre-season training was less than 3 weeks for some teams.

Yes some teams do pay their players considerable amounts of money but it can be a long old season and 3 weeks off over a year isn't exactly much. You wouldn't accept that from your employer......

As of Saturday 31st January Vale of Leven will have 1 league fixture left, never finished a season in february before, is it time for a revamp of the leagues?

I think most people would think 20 league games is unacceptably low for semi-professional football... Particularly in the districts, where clubs generally don't go far in the cups. Personally, I'd say anything under 26 is fairly 'iffy', albeit West Region has Sectional Cups.

Solutions would presumably include playing x3 (30 games); rebalancing the Central First & Central Second with some new clubs; or copying East Region (4 divisions of 16).

We not had bad weather yet and I would bet my left arm we will get a couple weeks of it that wipes the card out at some stage in next couple months.. so play over Christmas when weather is decent is pretty straight forward is it not?. Am sure a few season ago there was blanket wipeout in November and we were all on here begging for Christmas period games to be on

Another wee point that's worth mentioning is that a good few people who've moved away from their hometown and down south or abroad may only get one chance of seeing their team that they've got loads of passion for and that time could be on the 27th when they're back home to visit family members over the Xmas period.

I know that we've got a good few who come back home only once a year and they love watching a rare game on their visits home at the festive period amd its nice to see fixtures being played that can accommodate these guys in catching up with their beloved teams that they can no longer watch. :)

Another wee point that's worth mentioning is that a good few people who've moved away from their hometown and down south or abroad may only get one chance of seeing their team that they've got loads of passion for and that time could be on the 27th when they're back home to visit family members over the Xmas period.

I know that we've got a good few who come back home only once a year and they love watching a rare game on their visits home at the festive period amd its nice to see fixtures being played that can accommodate these guys in catching up with their beloved teams that they can no longer watch. :)

Good point that. Not just people who have moved away, but also students, and even people who routinely work Saturdays but might take holidays during the festive period.

Plus there's no Scottish Premiership or EPL games on January 3rd. Chance to attract some neutrals along. No EPL on December 27th either.

From a players point of view I think the games on 27th should be cancelled but games on 3rd should go ahead.theres a few different reasons but the biggest is spending time with family. Being both a player and family man with three wee bairns I welcome a week off at xmas.I make training twice a week every week barring an emergency for the season, getting family members to look after kids as mrs works too.I take my summer holidays after the season finishes but before pre season has started even taking kids out of school (there getting stricter about that).ive missed out on countless wkends away with friends and stag doos as dont want to miss games.I even planned my wedding for before pre season this year. During a busy working week the family never seems to have any time together apart from summer holidays.thats why I think players, coaches, committee guys and so on should be allowed xmas week off. Theres alot of committed players out there despite what people think. And also players should not be drinking alcohol at least 48 hours before a game so il no be having any beer on xmas day! AYE RIGHT lol

So next year Boxing Day and the 2nd Jan will be on the Saturday.

I presume all those in favour would like a fixture on Both days as well??

Ludicrous :o

Did peasy23 not point out in an earlier post that the constitution rules out any fixtures on Boxing Day at 2nd January, so next season the matches will definitely be off ?

So next year Boxing Day and the 2nd Jan will be on the Saturday.

I presume all those in favour would like a fixture on Both days as well??

Ludicrous :o

Someone was posting above that the West Region rules don't allow that - which did surprise me.

Bit surprised at no games on 31st December either, given 'festivities' don't start until that evening.

EDIT: Fowler23 - appreciate your points but that applies to right through the game. As described there'll be part-time players across nearly all the Senior or Junior leagues/regions playing on these weekends... And many fathers & sons (& mothers & daughters) will experience cherished family moments by going to football. For plenty it's a precious family tradition. So no games would impact people, too.

Btw: in Northern Ireland, they play their equivalent of the East, Central or Ayrshire Junior Cup Final on Christmas Day itself!! Too far!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_%26_Sons_Cup

Other 2 regions play theirs on Boxing Day!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Memorial_Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Radcliffe_Cup

Why? The rules are in place and we will have a shutdown for a fortnight the next two years. If the clubs want to change that then it's up to them to do it at the West Region AGM. Here's the rule straight from the handbook.

23. Clubs shall play fixtures as arranged by the Regional Secretary. Clubs shall not however be compelled to play Regional/District games on: Saturdays falling 24th, 25th, 26th and 31st December - and also 1st and 2nd January and Saturday Glasgow September weekend/Ayrshire September weekend.

From a players point of view I think the games on 27th should be cancelled but games on 3rd should go ahead.theres a few different reasons but the biggest is spending time with family. Being both a player and family man with three wee bairns I welcome a week off at xmas.I make training twice a week every week barring an emergency for the season, getting family members to look after kids as mrs works too.I take my summer holidays after the season finishes but before pre season has started even taking kids out of school (there getting stricter about that).ive missed out on countless wkends away with friends and stag doos as dont want to miss games.I even planned my wedding for before pre season this year. During a busy working week the family never seems to have any time together apart from summer holidays.thats why I think players, coaches, committee guys and so on should be allowed xmas week off. Theres alot of committed players out there despite what people think. And also players should not be drinking alcohol at least 48 hours before a game so il no be having any beer on xmas day! AYE RIGHT lol

Completely agree Fowler, There are a lot of committed players who make training/games week in week out whilst juggling work/family commitments. And as you mentioned miss out on nights out, stag do's, weekends away etc.

Personally I don't like to drink so close to a game, I notice a huge difference at training when you've had a hard weekend on the booze, never mind a game.

On the flipside of Hethas comments, there are a lot of players who've moved away from immediate family for work reasons, shouldn't they be allowed the chance to relax with their families over christmas?

Very good point!

Ayr Victoria - Looks like most people are not going with your 'sane' view oh dear. Never mind and enjoy the festive football.

Archived