East Coast Main Line goes to....

FlyerTon

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said: "This is a fantastic deal for passengers and for staff on this vital route. It gives passengers more seats, more services and new trains.

"We are putting passengers at the heart of the service. I believe Stagecoach and Virgin will not only deliver for customers but also for the British taxpayer."

Platitude central. Who the f**k comes up with these wanky statements for MPs? The real life Malcolm Tucker and Co need a good kick in the studs.

We hand to East Coast Mainline back to private operators and yet the Scotrail franchise is being taken over by the Dutch Government....

According to the reports, it was thought that a French government backed train company was the favourite. Wouldn't surprise me if they had the best bid but lost out for political reasons. With UKIP on the rise, the Tories don't want to be giving them more ammunition.

...anyway, what about this weather, eh?

Supposed to get really Arctic by the end of the year.

White Christmas odds:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/weather/white-christmas-2013

To be fair, I'd rather discuss the weather than listen to the current BBC headline news (over and over and over) that some cricketer is dead. Seriously, slow news day or what.

White Christmas you say, about time we had another. To keep this thread vaguely on track, how will this white Christmas affect the train timetable for those returning home from London?

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said: "This is a fantastic deal for passengers and for staff on this vital route. It gives passengers more seats, more services and new trains.

"We are putting passengers at the heart of the service. I believe Stagecoach and Virgin will not only deliver for customers but also for the British taxpayer."

Platitude central. Who the f**k comes up with these wanky statements for MPs? The real life Malcolm Tucker and Co need a good kick in the studs.

Did he mention subsidies?

"the companies will invest £140 million over 8 years"

Not really a lot these days ,£1.6 M approx. a year???

Does a new station not cost an obscene amount which would use up a considerable chunk of that annual figure for just one?

Went to Hearts v Spurs via East Coast without a hitch.

Went to Hearts v Liverpool via Virgin on the West Coast and it was a shambles.

What an utter disaster rail privatisation is.

Archived