Death of a Legend

Just heard this on the Scottish news.

I'll never forget his April Fool years ago when the claim was that a golf club with a bendy rubber shaft would hit a ball over 400 yards.

To call him a legend is very fitting. A real gent, and an excellent presenter.

And let's not forget he created a special word -stramash.

Rest in peace.

So very sad to hear this. A broadcasting icon and a legendary voice in Scottish football.

I love listening to his commentaries - they don't make them like that today. A genuine fan with a microphone and friends of mine who had the fortune to meet him when he visited East End Park speak warmly of his willingness to take time out to chat and his immense knowledge of the game.

There's great footage of him presenting highlights of our 1961 Scottish Cup win, but his Scotland commentaries were immense. "Come on now Denis, come on Denis!"

"It's a disaster for Scotland" right enough. RIP Arthur - should be inducted into the Scottish football Hall of Fame IMO.

Sad, sad news. I met Arthur at Cappielow many years ago just after he had retired from presenting Scotsport.

He was more interested in asking me about Football than in actually talking about himself, an absolute gentleman.

The only black mark on his copybook was the fact that he gave Jim White his big break in football reporting.

A true legend of the Scottish game, before my time but still a household name.

I miss old style commentary with a bit of thought to it, used to like Bob Crampsey on Sportsound too.

Hope they replay a scotland game with him doing the commentary on TV.

Arthur Montford was a true legend in football commentary, will never forget Scotland v Czechoslovakia commentary 1973, the shout from Arthur "watch your back, Denis". Truly brilliant commentator who made it sound as though you were at the game. He was also very knowledgeable about golf and an absolute gentleman. May he rest in peace.

Sport has lost a large number of legendary commentators over the last decade, his voice used to lead you to think that you might be about to watch or listen to an exciting game of football involving the national team or a Scottish club side, many many great memories of huge European matches involving firstly the Old Firm and then the New Firm.

The highlight of my childhood. Arthur's voice will forever be imprinted in my memory.

I'm only 48 but I'm quite sure I watched some of those players at Somerset.

Looking at those teams I must even have watched Alex Smith at Somerset, ffs, he is ancient.

Archived