£4K for a car

chimneyman

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you mainly drive about town and are thinking of getting a diesel, check if it has a 'DPF' filter.

If it has, buy a petrol as these Diesel Particulate Filters clog up quickly in town driving, and are costly to replace. It is now also part of the MOT test to see that they are there (if part of car)

Surely a DPF cleaner would clear that up?

Can you still get Fiat Pandas?

Get one of them, for a laugh like.

I've got one. It's a great wee car! I love my little Panda. £35 to fill the tank and that got me to Bristol a couple of months back.

I don't think it matters what your first car is. You'll still spend the first six months checking out the window that it's right where you left it, that no one's hit it and convincing yourself that yes, that really is your car.

I've got one. It's a great wee car! I love my little Panda. £35 to fill the tank and that got me to Bristol a couple of months back.

I don't think it matters what your first car is. You'll still spend the first six months checking out the window that it's right where you left it, that no one's hit it and convincing yourself that yes, that really is your car.

I'm not sure that last bit applies to me, I've still got my first car and don't really care what condition it's in. That said when you do tonnes of miles you know things are going to go tits up eventually. I'm also not the most conservative of drivers, not that I couldn't be, it's just I know if I'm ever going to get anywhere in it, I'll need to put my foot down. :lol:

I'm not sure that last bit applies to me, I've still got my first car and don't really care what condition it's in. That said when you do tonnes of miles you know things are going to go tits up eventually. I'm also not the most conservative of drivers, not that I couldn't be, it's just I know if I'm ever going to get anywhere in it, I'll need to put my foot down. :lol:

Well you're just weird then :P

My sister said the same about her first car, an M reg Nissan Micra. Hideous looking cars, especially compared with the newest model, but she loved it and, like I do with my Panda, had to check it was still there every half an hour. Then again, she lived in a shithole estate at the time and I stay in the east end of Glasgow now so that may have something to do with it.

I was terrified of driving at night for ages in my first car. Was convinced I had something wrong with my eyes. Then I discovered I'd just being using the sidelights. They really should include night driving in lessons/tests. There could be more than one idiot about.

I was terrified of driving at night for ages in my first car. Was convinced I had something wrong with my eyes. Then I discovered I'd just being using the sidelights. They really should include night driving in lessons/tests. There could be more than one idiot about.

I found upgrading the bulbs made quite a big difference, especially on full beam. The Philips Xtreme vision +130% are the latest. I needed to get 4 main bulbs but some motors you only need the 2 as the dipped and full beam can use the same bulb.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/philips-x-treme-vision-130

I avoid driving at night wherever possible. Hate it. I just find it harder to judge distances and how close I am to parked cars and stuff. Perhaps I actually do have something wrong with my eyes.

Sometimes I wish I'd put P plates in my car just so that when I make a complete arse of something, other people think "Aw, she's a new driver. Now I think she's only half a dickhead instead of a complete tit".

I avoid driving at night wherever possible. Hate it. I just find it harder to judge distances and how close I am to parked cars and stuff. Perhaps I actually do have something wrong with my eyes.

Sometimes I wish I'd put P plates in my car just so that when I make a complete arse of something, other people think "Aw, she's a new driver. Now I think she's only half a dickhead instead of a complete tit".

I'm not gonna say what I really want to. I figure it'll get me a volley of abuse. :P

Anyway driving at night doesn't bother me at all, I've confidence in my ability to drive in all conditions and I think that makes a difference. So long as you don't get too cocky. I'll admit to having nearly crashed at least once and that put the shitters up me. Plus I like driving about, it's nice to have some alone time to think.

I'm not gonna say what I really want to. I figure it'll get me a volley of abuse. :P

Anyway driving at night doesn't bother me at all, I've confidence in my ability to drive in all conditions and I think that makes a difference. So long as you don't get too cocky. I'll admit to having nearly crashed at least once and that put the shitters up me. Plus I like driving about, it's nice to have some alone time to think.

Bizarrely, while I also hate motorways, I don't mind driving on them at night. It's wee narrow roads I can't stand! Otherwise, I do actually like driving, especially when I'm on my own, without the kids in the car and without someone (who can't actually drive) sitting next to me shouting out "speed camera!" or "your indicator's still on!" at random intervals and making me jump. I know where the fucking speed cameras are and I can hear the indicators, thank you very bloody much.

Bizarrely, while I also hate motorways, I don't mind driving on them at night. It's wee narrow roads I can't stand! Otherwise, I do actually like driving, especially when I'm on my own, without the kids in the car and without someone (who can't actually drive) sitting next to me shouting out "speed camera!" or "your indicator's still on!" at random intervals and making me jump. I know where the fucking speed cameras are and I can hear the indicators, thank you very bloody much.

:lol:

I can imagine that'd be pretty annoying. Actually the only time I've ever been worries behind the wheel was going from Scone to Dundee a few weeks ago, for some reason my sat nav took me down a country road with a hell of a lot of turns and only enough room for 1 car. Problem is it was 6pm and pitch black. I had full beam on the whole way and still didn't feel I could see enough. Never again, especially in the wet.

My main issue with motorways is other drivers who just have no awareness of others. Nights are great especially if you know the speed traps. Not that I drive fast enough to get in trouble.

My main issue with motorways is other drivers who just have no awareness of others. Nights are great especially if you know the speed traps. Not that I drive fast enough to get in trouble.

This is why I like my Panda. I couldn't if I wanted to. :D

This is why I like my Panda. I couldn't if I wanted to. :D

Hey I only drive a 1.2, with a huge amount of weight in the boot from my work stuff. Doesn't mean you can't have some fun in the car. :lol:

When doing searches, make sure you don't limit your distance. Take in the North of England too.

My oldest just passed her test, & got a car recently. Having monitored Clark's etc for weeks, found a good buy on Evans Halshaw's web site. 6 year old, £2k, 36K on the clock. Only problem was it was in Gateshead.

Train to Newcastle £28 for the pair of us, checked it over, bought it & drove it back up the road.

For the money saved, compared to buying up here, she got her first years insurance.

PS, get your folks on the insurance as named drivers, & a black box. It keeps the price down there.

I was going to buy an Alfa Romeo Gtv earlier this year and as I was walking home tonight I saw that some fucker has one on my street.

Want. I know they are probably terrible but they look cool.

Alfa Romeo < 2003 = lovely looking cars but very unreliable (mainly electrics and corrosion)

2003 > Alfa Romeo = lovely looking cars and as reliable as your typical modern car. Not without their problems but the new CEO appointed in 2002/3 really shook up the build quality

I've owned Alfas for 6 years with no major problems at all. Only repairs have been general wear % tear components.

Currently on my 3rd Alfa and won't be changing anytime soon.

A quick search online shows that there are Mitos out there for under £4000. Agree with Clancy2ktid. I had a Alfa GT 3.2 55reg for 7 years. Loved it. Just got too uneconomical to keep running in the end. Now on a Giulietta. Different type of car but love it as well.

Archived