£4K for a car

chimneyman

:lol:

My Clio makes me money, but there you go.

That said I'm always on the hunt for a new car, if/when a fully permanent job comes up, I'll be quickly upgrading. Not sure what to mind, but with my mileage at the minute, something comfy, good milage and reliable is gonna be a must.

That said, did fancy getting something ridiculous like a jag estate that was going for 3k or something stupid like that just for the hell of it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, if you're doing short trips, get a petrol, if you do a higher milage get a diesel. I bought a 57 plate megane last month (diesel), I think the body shape is really smart. Really comfortable car. One thing I've noticed with renault cars (my first car was an 05 plate Clio) is that the bite point on the clutch sits really high, takes some getting used to.

Firstly, if you're doing short trips, get a petrol, if you do a higher milage get a diesel. I bought a 57 plate megane last month (diesel), I think the body shape is really smart. Really comfortable car. One thing I've noticed with renault cars (my first car was an 05 plate Clio) is that the bite point on the clutch sits really high, takes some getting used to.

There's a 2007 going for £2.8K on the Arnold Clark site, so could get this for £2.5K max, leaving me a bit of pocket money to spare.

43K miles, but no pic unfortunately - http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/renault/megane/1.6-vvt-dynamique-5dr/2007-(07)/ref/arnbd-u-24031/

The corsa is a pretty good shout.

Places like Arnold Clark make their money of the payment plans so if you have cash you might find them less receptive to a bit wheeling and dealing.

Have a look on auto trader most with modern cars it's not all bangers a d buckets like it was 15 years ago. However if your not sure take a friend or relative along that knows what to look for.

A private seller will be more open to shaving some cash off once they see a back pack full of ten pound notes.

Best if luck tomorrow though

The corsa is a pretty good shout.

Places like Arnold Clark make their money of the payment plans so if you have cash you might find them less receptive to a bit wheeling and dealing.

Have a look on auto trader most with modern cars it's not all bangers a d buckets like it was 15 years ago. However if your not sure take a friend or relative along that knows what to look for.

A private seller will be more open to shaving some cash off once they see a back pack full of ten pound notes.

Best if luck tomorrow though

Thanks.

I was interested in a 307 on ebay, but the buyer hasn't responded to any questions.

I've been checking Autotrader for months, so will make sure to compare prices before I go shopping.

Go for a Toyota yaris 1.3 t3. Utterly reliable, solidly screwed together and you'll get 49 mpg. I had a 06 plate for 6 years, only serviced it and replaced the tyres. Nothing went wrong, even the air con was still working when I sold it on to my old dear. She still got it still going strong with 95k and some new scratches.

I was going to buy an Alfa Romeo Gtv earlier this year and as I was walking home tonight I saw that some fucker has one on my street.

Want. I know they are probably terrible but they look cool.

I went down to the Kinross Car Auctions and spent 500 quid on a P reg Micra with 25000 miles on the clock that lasted me for 5 years.

Of course it helps that you know what you're doing when you go to the car auctions otherwise you'll end up with a lemon.

Those who have advised against a Renault are spot on. Romeo, I'm a francophile. I loved living there, the people, the grub, the culture. But I wouldn't buy a car from them. No way. I had a Megane estate a few years back - what a fvckin awful decision that was. The electrics were fucked, the front bulbs took turns to not work and changing a bulb necessitated taking the bumper off. There was a rattle from the cabling in behind the dashboard which never disappeared despite my numerous returns to the garage. The car flooded on the inside on the passenger side - there was no plastic rain sheet on that door. The plastic rain sheet on the driver's door did however make an unscheduled appearance to confirm it existed when the whole fuckin lot came up with the window as I wound it up. It had good storage space but I can get that from a box. It was utterly fuckin useless as a car.

We've had a 54 plate Yaris since 2008 as a second car. It's a wee 1 litre job and does nothing fast. But I'll rue the day when it goes because it hasn't put a foot wrong in 6 years. I paid £4500 for it when it was 4 years old and it had 14k miles on the clock. If you want some degree of reliability buy a Japanese car. Do not buy a French car - they've just not got the mentality to build one reliable car after another. Is that casual racism?

A zafira, Are you that depressed?

When I see a Zafira it always has a sad looking 40ish year old man sitting in the drivers seat passing happy meals to equally depressed looking kids in the back. It's a sad sight.

I'm in a parking war with a zafira at work. I have no fucking clue who drives it but at least twice a week it's in my spot. It doesn't matter that the car park is only ever half full, or that I don't officially have a designated spot. That's my fucking spot!

I literally hate this wifey I've never met and her 57 plate, slightly-bashed fucking zafira. Cow.

I'm in a parking war with a zafira at work. I have no fucking clue who drives it but at least twice a week it's in my spot. It doesn't matter that the car park is only ever half full, or that I don't officially have a designated spot. That's my fucking spot!

I literally hate this wifey I've never met and her 57 plate, slightly-bashed fucking zafira. Cow.

post-7957-14170457724803_thumb.jpg

Marjory hates you too and asked me to tell you that it will be three times a week from now on.

If you mainly drive about town and are thinking of getting a diesel, check if it has a 'DPF' filter.

If it has, buy a petrol as these Diesel Particulate Filters clog up quickly in town driving, and are costly to replace. It is now also part of the MOT test to see that they are there (if part of car)

Archived