Corporal Punishment - The Belt

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how many S&M fanatics are apparently among us, were there kids who'd deliberately get themselves in trouble for a quick lick of the cat?

Aye - 2nd year Geography with an ageing alcoholic. We used to deliberately wind him up to get the tawse, mainly because after he belted someone he'd disappear into his book cupboard for 5 minutes and come out reeking of whisky. We'd take it in turns so he'd be belting 6 or 7 of us in one 45-minute period. Apparently he had some kind of breakdown halfway through the term and took early retirement.

I got the belt many times, but that was understandable. I hated the system, the system hated me.
Plunking off school in primary 6 get me three crackers off big Nesbitt. That cnut could draw a good skelp. Buck Tooth Robertson, she made sure your wrists got a share of the leather. Old Tufty the French teacher, he belted a whole class one day. We were all late getting back over the river from metalwork, so he gubbed the lot of us.

The riff raff got the belt, the elite amongst us got this little baby.

image.jpg

The cane did look worse than the belt.

http://youtu.be/gZB0i0NzOe0?t=3m7s

Oh the good old days!

I used to get caned in primary school, usually for fighting.

Had this smart arse Art Teacher in Secondary School who used to take the mickey out of me.because I lisped over words that began with th.

Was in a bar years later, I was 23 and I seen him.

Went over to him and said, hi Mr. ----, do you remember me?

Asked him to stand up and fool he did, one punch and he was out.

His two mates just sat there with their mouths open.

35 years on he's probably wondering what the f--k I whacked him for!

Thut up, thilly boy!

Nope, just Lowry punching his fists through the walls, picturing the faces of kids on them first probably. I was there 95-01... I think.

I know I've mentioned it before, but the only time I genuinely thought "oh, I am so f***ing dead now!" was when I threw a basketball into a certain Mr Thompson's face from two yards away whilst he was sitting down taking the register. In the old days I would probably have my face skinned off and fashioned into another basketball. That said, he did ask me for the ball back, a piss poor defence which incredibly seemed to work as I pleaded for mercy in the hallway. That long wait outside may have been the most terrified I've ever been with visions of being expelled before sitting Standard Grades, spending the rest of my life applying for Fife Council litter picker jobs at best.

96-02!

As for the above incident, the rest of us spent the next 10 minutes in tears of laughter.

Thompson is actually really sound. Because I had a shit PE teacher in Standard Grade who had no interest in helping me, I ended up with a 3 in PE meaning I couldn't do higher. I did Int 2 PE in 5th year and there were only 6 of us in the class. Thompson was the teacher and told us on the first day that we'd all be passing and we spent the year being taught how to get a great grade in Higher. Every Friday morning we went down to Carnegie Swimming centre to play badminton. In Standard Grade I'd always been shit and played shit players and never got taught any better. Thompson took the time to teach us all better and had us playing good players.

He was also the basketball coach and for a short while I played for said team. He had a unique sense of humour quite often.

Good guy.

Apparently my son's class at school had a talk about corporal punishment last week, and BigFatTabbySon thought it would be a smart move to regale everyone with tales of being battered with a belt by his parents. Cue SCENES and an appointment with a lassie from Social Services on Monday. First we knew about any of this was when the aforementioned lassie gave us a call yesterday to let us know that they wouldn't be investigating any further. Apparently he'd forgotten about the regular lashings that we give him by Monday, and spoke at length of the evils of having your Irn-Bru privileges revoked for bad behaviour :lol:

So aye, he had f**k battered out of him when he got home :P

I think I recognise Noddy from this description, a guy with sound intentions but a screw loose. One day he went on a shouting rant at a guy at the back of the class who had only been tapping his foot but the mental aspect was that he had grabbed poor innocent Davy's hair at the front of the class and was shaking his head back and forward during the rant. I think you can all guess what getting the belt from him was like.

You do indeed. A man who demonstrated "le feu" by setting fire to his waste paper bin and watching the flames leap 6 foot into the air. An excellent badminton player and a brilliant French teacher. Just with some foibles - including the ability to belt on the move.

Oh the good old days!

I used to get caned in primary school, usually for fighting.

Had this smart arse Art Teacher in Secondary School who used to take the mickey out of me.because I lisped over words that began with th.

Was in a bar years later, I was 23 and I seen him.

Went over to him and said, hi Mr. ----, do you remember me?

Asked him to stand up and fool he did, one punch and he was out.

His two mates just sat there with their mouths open.

35 years on he's probably wondering what the f--k I whacked him for!

PUNCHED SOMEONE WITHOUT WARNING?

SELF DECLARED SOCIOPATH ALERT.

Please detail your relevant experience.

At least you didn't ask me to be extremely specific.

My experience was 12 years at school. Some teachers maintained discipline through the force of their personalities and while we may have been scared of them, they taught us the most. Some teachers taught via a system of mutual respect and they were effective too. Others didn't have the character for either of those methods and resorted to routine violence in an attempt to maintain order. Their classes were chaotic.

Apparently the opposite of your experience.

At least you didn't ask me to be extremely specific.

My experience was 12 years at school. Some teachers maintained discipline through the force of their personalities and while we may have been scared of them, they taught us the most. Some teachers taught via a system of mutual respect and they were effective too. Others didn't have the character for either of those methods and resorted to routine violence in an attempt to maintain order. Their classes were chaotic.

Apparently the opposite of your experience.

Not at all, read my posts in detail.I stated that once the word was around that you could use the belt you generally did not have to. I also stated that those who used the belt regularly were either poor at their job or psychologically dodgy. Force of personality is a reasonable shout fwiw.

No, I don't need extreme specificity, interested in type of school, dates/years attended. Not taking the piss/trying to catch you out, genuine interest.

Thankfully long gone before I became a teacher...........

Would I have ever...............don't know. There's a part of me that says no, never, but also a part of me that maybe would have liked that as more of a threat than a yellow piece of paper?

I think teaching is a better place without it, but I think you have to give us a better deterrent than just "ok, off to the Depute"

Would I have ever...............don't know. There's a part of me that says no, never, but also a part of me that maybe would have liked that as more of a threat than a yellow piece of paper?

There are two related question:

Would you skelp your own weans?

How would you keep discipline if you don't?

I was raised in the Lanarkshire "batter them at school then batter them at home for getting belted" culture of the 60s and, before we had kids thought hitting weans was acceptable.

My ex was raised in Stockholm in the 70s and smacking kids was very-much frowned upon.

After she whelped in 1998 and we went on to have 3 kids I never raised my hand to them and could think of nothing worse than hitting my own children. She, though, tanned their arses a few times.

There are two related question:

Would you skelp your own weans?

How would you keep discipline if you don't?

I never really had a discipline issue in the classroom, I guess I just has enough "presence" maybe? Perhaps not going into teaching until I was in my 30's (and looked like an awwfy lot older) helped? Also I never lost my temper....no matter what the little buggers did I could always see the funny side (well from my side) and just not get riled.

Never had my own "weans" so can't answer that, but I know I only once got a skelpt arse from my Dad and I'm pretty sure I deserved it.

No, I don't need extreme specificity, interested in type of school, dates/years attended. Not taking the piss/trying to catch you out, genuine interest.

1966 or 67, through 1979. Small provincial town in the North of England.

Primary school was affiliated with the Parish Church next door. I don't believe there was a belt there but physical violence from both male and female teachers was routine. This ranged from smacks on the back of the legs and hands, to over the knee spanking, to slaps across the face and dragging around by the ears. These were dished out for such major transgressions as sneezing, having a shirt-tail hanging out or walking too quickly. No, I'm not making that up.

I was an asthmatic and missed quite a bit of school in the early days. However when I returned, there was no question of helping me catch up on what I'd missed. I was simply battered for not knowing it.

Secondary school was a pretentiously named Grammar School. Some good teachers, some OK, some who had no business being near a school. There was a belt but it was reserved for major stuff and I never saw it. I was on the wrong end of plenty other physical abuse though, including full fist punches to the head. A wooden blackboard eraser flung across the classroom was a common favourite, although they rarely hit the intended target. One kid required hospital treatment after being hit in the eye with one thrown at the boy behind him. No repercussions or even an apology as far as we saw.

This wasn't discipline. Or teaching. It was child abuse, plain and simple.

For the record; some kids never got hit, no matter what they did and at the time, I thought this was purely due to favoroutism. However, as somebody said earlier in the thread, the teachers knew which parents would make a fuss and left those kids alone.

I have a memory from primary school in the late 60s. On one of the panels of the blackboard was drawn a clock face - with 1 to 12 round the outside but no hands. The school day began when teach picked a number to put in the centre then went round the class, pointing randomly at numbers round the outside. The task was to multiply the centre number by the peripheral number and to answer immediately. Failure to do so resulted in two of the belt. Effective arithmetic teaching or brutal child abuse?

You do indeed. A man who demonstrated "le feu" by setting fire to his waste paper bin and watching the flames leap 6 foot into the air. An excellent badminton player and a brilliant French teacher. Just with some foibles - including the ability to belt on the move.

See? You never forgot the French for fire.

Archived