Corporal Punishment - The Belt

Not old enough to have had the belt at school, but effectively had the same via 'the slipper' from my dad in the case of a bad school report or a call home.

He wasn't on the scene for my two brothers and I was definitely the best behaved of the lot of us. Perhaps there are other factors at work there, but just saying.

The threat of no sweeties couldn't compare to having your arse stung by a bit of shoeware. Very rarely did it have to be used it has to be said.

Eta: the most effective punishment I saw was from my CDT teacher. He'd simply make you hug an mdf box in the back corner of the box to bring your peer respect down to zero. Don't think I'll ever forget the line directed at a classmate (cue strong Fife accent): "Gary Booooooth! Don't just hug that box, love it. Love it! love the boax!!!". Don't think he dicked about in that class again after he spent the majority of a double period loving a wooden box.

^^^Dennis the Menace IMO

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While tidying out the other day I came across one of these, a Lochgelly Tawse, which my wife used in the early days of her teaching career to keep control of classes. Now, of course, we only use it for recreational purposes. :o

lochgelly_tawse_for_sale.jpg

Does this bring back memories for some of you? What's your thoughts on it? Did it keep you in line (I'll admit it did for me as it could be bloody sore) or did you, as some did, try to get it for reasons of bravado? For those of you who were too young would you have preferred a couple of slaps with that rather than being detained after school for an hour or whatever they did instead?

If anybody's interested, you can still buy them.

Judging by your link the recreational aspect is doing just fine. :shutup

Got it plenty if times at Stirling High. Sometimes deserved. Other times not. Teachers you knew not to wind up. Others happy to take a chance with. Corporal punishment seems a different age now. But for a kid growing up in Scotland in the 60/70, s it was the norm. School and home.

Got whipped with this, by sadistic b*****ds known as 'teachers', started off in primary school where you would be belted for talking. Education in the late seventies was not pleasant.

Aye. I got belted from 3 different teachers one day at primary (Ladywell in Motherwell. I am sure some posters know it).

When I went to Dalziel I got battered most days in the first 3 years, usually for being a lippy c**t. Often I was given a choice: "Do you want belted or would you prefer 100/50/25 lines?" No brainer. Short, sharp shock every time.

Bobby Liddle who taught us Applied Mechanics (which was an O Grade subject) got me to write 40 times, "A force is that which causes or tends to cause an object's state of rest or movement", b*****d.

Bondage & games involving pain really does require a good element of trust.

I recall being tied to the bed by a girl who then proceeded to inflict pain on me by means of biting my nipples to the extent they were bleeding profusely......closest I've come to hitting/knocking fcuk out of a woman.

Fcuking lunatic she was!

How could you knock f**k out of her if you were tied to the bed? unless she put her stupid face an inch away from your hand.

Had a history teacher at Perth high school who had been around during the time of the belts.

The teacher took it out on the first lesson he had with us, smashed it off his desk at full force, before telling us we were lucky it wasn't the 70's and he could legally do that.

Every now and then he would smash it off the blackboard or the desk when the class acted up. Not that it happened often.

Had a history teacher at Perth high school who had been around during the time of the belts.

The teacher took it out on the first lesson he had with us, smashed it off his desk at full force, before telling us we were lucky it wasn't the 70's and he could legally do that.

Every now and then he would smash it off the blackboard or the desk when the class acted up. Not that it happened often.

We had a teacher that would punch the wall. You could see the holes in the wall from the previous classes.

I recall an assembly where most of the school were getting a pep talk from some top guy from Save the Children fund after we had done a fair bit of fund raising.

I was sitting in front of one of the schools roughest teachers and for the first fifteen minutes was trying my hardest to keep my guts at bay, then it happened, a rumbler belted between my arse and the moulded plywood chair I was sitting on, then bedlam ensued.

Al the art teacher grabbed my collar and said 'wait outside ya we c**t, I'll deal with you later' I then had to do the walk of shame and wait outside in the corridor.

As everyone trooped out some twenty minutes later big Al headed straight for me only to be intercepted by Big Dave the depute head who sent me to wait at his office.

The big guy must have guessed that Al didn't take to kindly to being shat on and knew that I was fucked if he got hold of me as he offered six of the best from Al or writing the school rules out six times from him, I opted for the latter and was writing from teatime to two in the morning and forever in Big Dave's debt.

The same art teacher and his buddy later in term ran out of school at break to sort out a fight in the playground.

They laid waste to first and second years like explorers cutting down bamboo to make a path in the jungle then stopped as they approached the arena.

Big Al said to his buddy, Wee Al (it must have been an art thing), who do you think will win?

We Al replied, ' I'll take the ginger boy from the Links', OK said Big Al, 'I'll take the boy from Burntisland, a pound?' 'deal' they both said and gave the fight a minute to come to a conclusion and then took the pair of them away for a leathering.

Not enough big or wee people in the story IMO.

Eta: the most effective punishment I saw was from my CDT teacher. He'd simply make you hug an mdf box in the front corner of the room to bring your peer respect down to zero. Don't think I'll ever forget the line directed at a classmate (cue strong Fife accent): "Gary Booooooth! Don't just hug that box, love it. Love it! love the boax!!!". Don't think he dicked about in that class again after he spent the majority of a double period loving a wooden box in front of everybody.

We had a teacher that would punch the wall. You could see the holes in the wall from the previous classes.

Why do I get the impression we were at the same school? This teacher wasn't a Classical Studies teacher who dabbled in a bit of kung-fu was he?

I served my time from 1967 or thereabouts to 1979. Never got the belt in all that time but got smacked around a fair bit by various inadequates who thought they were hard men because they could take on an 8-year old. One of my lifetime regrets is that before emigrating I didn't track down a particular sadist named Starkey and give him a decent kicking. See if I could maybe frighten the twat as much as he used to frighten me.

This was the one who once picked me up by the ears, dragged me across the room on my tiptoes then threw me into a stack of folding chairs.

Why?

Because I dared to open my eyes during a prayer to his magic friend in the sky. I was 9.

I served my time from 1967 or thereabouts to 1979. Never got the belt in all that time but got smacked around a fair bit by various inadequates who thought they were hard men because they could take on an 8-year old. One of my lifetime regrets is that before emigrating I didn't track down a particular sadist named Starkey and give him a decent kicking. See if I could maybe frighten the twat as much as he used to frighten me.

This was the one who once picked me up by the ears, dragged me across the room on my tiptoes then threw me into a stack of folding chairs.

Why?

Because I dared to open my eyes during a prayer to his magic friend in the sky. I was 9.

I'm glad it didn't affect your emotional development either.

Why do I get the impression we were at the same school? This teacher wasn't a Classical Studies teacher who dabbled in a bit of kung-fu was he?

Aye Hedgecutter was in my year and is referring to Lowry I believe

Why?

I think the belt was acceptable if I deserved it but sometimes the teachers were a bit unfair. I got belted for getting hammered in the playground. Bad enough getting the initial battering but a second one because a bigger guy picked on me wasn't fair. Admittedly I was probably being a smartass but the only hands I raised were in defence.

Another time I got lines for forgetting a book but when others went out as well he decided to belt us all instead. Therefore I got belted because others forgot their books.

Was Bruce Banner your chemistry teacher?

Nope, sorry.

Aye Hedgecutter was in my year and is referring to Lowry I believe

Both correct.

CDT teacher was Mr Malcolm FWIW. Loved the framed 1960s Premier League table in his classroom which had the Pars top of the league after two games.

Archived