Long scottish away trips

mowgli

We were playing Montrose Roselea away a couple of years ago, and went to a local hotel for the after match hospitality. I was outside for a fag and realised by the floodlights we were just round the corner from Links Park where there was a game on. I wandered over to see if I could pick up a programme - the wifie I spoke to gave me a freebie, and told me just to go in and watch the last half hour if I liked.

Don't mind if I do.

We were playing Thorniewood a couple of seasons ago in the scottish the game had been called off 4 weeks in a row so the venue was switched to Bellshill we were expected to get humped and we won 3-2 after being 2-0 down my favourite game ever what a day

Winton were away at steel end vics about 5 years ago and we turned up at the place and had one look and thought it was going to be a total shitehole.

Turned out to be my favourite away day ever. Facilities weren't the best but the committee and supporters were so friendly and the grub and drink they put on was superb. Great laugh, and overall, a Crackin day oot.

Won 3-0 asweLl so that helps. Lol

Burghead two years ago.

Up at 7am

Supporters bus was supposed to leave at 8 but got double booked replacement didn't come till 9.

350 mile trip there and back got to the village, cracking wee place .Nice little pub, great food and hospitality. Most goals i have seen us score 11 in a nice wee ground next to a forest

Trip home was near 6 hours due to a car crash on A9 and the bus taking the mother of all detours. Got home about 10.

Certainly a trip that sticks out.

Saturday 30th October 2010 - Hallowe'en weekend. :batman:cowboy:turtle:egypt:osama:

Cruden Bay 0 Rutherglen Glencairn 8.

A terrific trip, which finished with the Glencairn players all emerging from the dressing room at the end of the game in fancy dress, and turning up for the post-match hospitality in the local hostelry in their costumes. We had Ross Ballantyne and Billy Jones as Jedward, I can't remember who was Banana Man, but the best of all was Andy Ward as a flasher, with just a trench coat and an enormous "attachment" tied round his waist with a flesh-coloured strap. :whistle As we prepared to leave, there was one young lady walking down the street in the deserted Cruden Bay village centre, pushing a pram. Let's just say the look on her face when Andy ran towards her and showed off his "costume" was memorable.

It was an interesting journey home on that bus. :P

Cambuslang up at Burghead in the mid '80's. They had laid pre match meals on in a local hotel for the 20 or so cambuslang fans who had travelled up on the team bus.

We got to the hotel & a wee woman said 'your a bit early , but sit down & I'll get the soup on'.

To cut a long story short , we were at the wrong hotel & the food that we had was for a wedding later on that day.

Saturday 30th October 2010 - Hallowe'en weekend. :batman:cowboy:turtle:egypt:osama:

A terrific trip, which finished with the Glencairn players all emerging from the dressing room at the end of the game in fancy dress, and turning up for the post-match hospitality in the local hostelry in their costumes. We had Ross Ballantyne and Billy Jones as Jedward, I can't remember who was Banana Man, but the best of all was Andy Ward as a flasher, with just a trench coat and an enormous "attachment" tied round his waist with a flesh-coloured strap. :whistle As we prepared to leave, there was one young lady walking down the street in the deserted Cruden Bay village centre, pushing a pram. Let's just say the look on her face when Andy ran towards her and showed off his "costume" was memorable.

DISGRACEFUL????

Much the same thing for my story. We were away to Rosyth 3 or 4 years ago massive underdogs and to top it off i was in the Sun that day doing meet my team mates which meant good banter on the way down so we were in good spirits we won the game 3-2 and everyone was in fancy dress afterwards for the trek up the road we stopped off in Perth Tesco for a carry out and the looks we got in there! The type of day you love being part of and exactly what the Scottish cup is about and well looked after by Rosyth too.

The flip side to it is suffering many a hiding as well to go with it unfortunately so appreciate the good times when you can.

First round of the cup in 1998-99 season fate drew the previous years finalists Arthurlie and Pollok at Newlandsfield after going three up Pollok got two goals...... The last ten minutes were MY personal longest journey into the second round!

Didn't the boy Lithgow get put on a register for doing the real thing to someone?

had to be aberdeen bon accord way back in the early 90's. we couldnt find the park (pre satnav) bus had to do various turns until we eventually got there, drew 0.0 and then it was back to willie miller's pub where there was a spread laid on for us, even met willie himself. Long run back home tho. in the replay we got totally hammered

Another mention for Burghead. Lugar were there in the last round. It was a great day out. Bus left Logan at 6:30am.

The hospitality was excellent but the highlight was - Burghead had the match sponsored by a group of local female fans.

Ths is what happened at half time in their wee hospitality lounge -

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152530537967746&set=vb.611567745&type=2&theater

Kenny (junior) on the guitar.

We then went on to the pub after the game for some more first class hospitality and some of this -

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=747064352028757&set=o.160032587523269&type=2&theater

We were playing Montrose Roselea away a couple of years ago, and went to a local hotel for the after match hospitality. I was outside for a fag and realised by the floodlights we were just round the corner from Links Park where there was a game on. I wandered over to see if I could pick up a programme - the wifie I spoke to gave me a freebie, and told me just to go in and watch the last half hour if I liked.

Don't mind if I do.

That makes me laugh I hear they have nets to pull you into the ground! Links Park normally lets you in for free at HT anyway as many of the Montrose FC punters head to the cheap British Legion at half time and if the show is no good they find the Legion and the BBC scores a far better option! Well to them though for the free programme!

To keep the Burghead theme going I was born at Clarkly Hill which looks onto the ground but moved south to Montrose in 1977. I passed Forest Park many times as a football mad boy as my Granny and Grandad farmed 2 miles along the road at Roseisle, it captivated me and always had ambitions of playing there. Didn't happen but some 35 years later with my playing career over we were drawn up there in a GA Cup tie. In my sensible wisdom decided to wear a kilt for the day to prove my Highlander image. Had a great day and was well looked after meeting many people who met my family and met my Uncle, I would never have gone on to the pitch however Manager Ralph Brand named me as a sub so I suppose I did get my wish. After several Burghead nips I had a bottle of wine on the bus home and then several more in our Sponsors pub back in Montrose, fell in the Toilet smacked my eye on the Urinal result a black eye, Barmaid gave me a lift home, fell in a hedge outside the house, neighbour takes the contents of my Wallet to the house the morning after. Wife totally fine but then she married me and knows what to expect! And it wasn't even the Scottish!!!

Archived