Cove on the Move

NorthernLights

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, EdTheDuck said:

Oocha.

April 14th is an insane deadline, especially in a bad winter for the Highland League. They already have loss making midweek games in the summer/autumn to try and get the fixtures over in time. No sympathy for Cove though, homeless outspending c***s.

On 06/03/2018 at 15:39, welshbairn said:

Worth noting that they don't necessarily have to complete all of their league fixtures before the play-off, just enough so that they are definitely champions.  Edinburgh City played one or two league games after the play-offs in 2015/16.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Worth noting that they don't necessarily have to complete all of their league fixtures before the play-off, just enough so that they are definitely champions.  Edinburgh City played one or two league games after the play-offs in 2015/16.

Also I don't know why the HL are giving priority to Cup games over League games. I could see Cove throwing their Cup game at Forres on Saturday, might be worth a bet if the odds are decent.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Also I don't know why the HL are giving priority to Cup games over League games. I could see Cove throwing their Cup game at Forres on Saturday, might be worth a bet if the odds are decent.

They've not exactly gone out of their way to accomdate the pyramid, have they? Silly league size and refusal to consider a second tier to bring them in line with their southern counterparts, general lack of interest from members in promotion...

17 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

They've not exactly gone out of their way to accomdate the pyramid, have they? Silly league size and refusal to consider a second tier to bring them in line with their southern counterparts, general lack of interest from members in promotion...

The pyramid's not exactly gone out of their way to accommodate a Highland League by saying we have to finish the fixtures by the middle of April, given our winters. Most clubs would welcome a second tier if there was more than one or two with the minimum facilities, ie floodlights for evening matches after postponements. Nearly everyone I talk to wants to keep a 18 club league, better than playing the same sides 4-6 times a season. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Nearly everyone I talk to wants to keep a 18 club league, better than playing the same sides 4-6 times a season. 

I think the suggestion would be to mirror the 16 team Lowland League. Then you could easily create a pyramid by putting the North Juniors at tier 6, adding the two HL clubs into that league.

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I think the suggestion would be to mirror the 16 team Lowland League. Then you could easily create a pyramid by putting the North Juniors at tier 6, adding the two HL clubs into that league.

I'd be happy with that but I doubt the Super League clubs would be. Firstly they're overwhelmingly based in Aberdeenshire and they already whine about the cost of travelling to Inverness, far less Fort William. Secondly I think only Banks o'Dee have the required infrastructure and I doubt the others could afford the upgrade if they got promoted.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The pyramid's not exactly gone out of their way to accommodate a Highland League by saying we have to finish the fixtures by the middle of April, given our winters. Most clubs would welcome a second tier if there was more than one or two with the minimum facilities, ie floodlights for evening matches after postponements. Nearly everyone I talk to wants to keep a 18 club league, better than playing the same sides 4-6 times a season. 

what is the alternative? SPFL season finishes last sat in April and it's unreasonable to ask Team 10 to take a two week holiday while the Highland League and Lowland League run their two weekend play-off.

For years you've all been playing the same teams anyway though, right?

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

For years you've all been playing the same teams anyway though, right?

Yes, but only one away trip a year so it doesn't get dreary. There's only one new team we might play if they change the rules, and they're based in Aberdeen.

Archived