Summer Football

Do we? I don't really see much trouble from drunk folk at games except the occasional fanny who's had too much. Even most folk who have had quite a bit before games are fine.

Judging by that whole forum closing fiasco, Dunfermline fans wait until they're online before getting properly blitzed.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my one and only trip to a German ground, when Rovers played Munich, I was drinking beer in the ground. However, it was alcohol free (or really low alcohol) beer. From memory, which means this could be a lot of shite, we were allowed to stand and drink this beer while watching the football. All very civilised.

The suggestions I've heard for beer in stadiums at Scottish games are frankly shite. The gist seems to be that you can hover around concourses consuming beer out of plastic bottles, like fucking jaikeys. Oh, but only at specially designated times. That seems to work in England where they don't mind being treated like criminally-minded fucking jaikeys, but I'm not so keen on that scheme.

Good for them. Not sure what your point is though unless you somehow expect to transfer the collective Scottish psyche out and replace it with a German one, We have enough problems at matches created by those who arrive drunk without adding to it by allowing them to drink more when they get there.

What are the main differences between the "German" and "Scottish" "psyches" when it comes to drinking beer and watching a football match on a Saturday? I don't recall too many recent problems in Scottish football from drunken fan behaviour at all - by what measure do we have "enough" of this, compared to any other large public event or football match in comparable leagues?

What are all these problems we have?

Could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've seen alcohol related "trouble" at a game. And even then it's normally just some young lad hitting it too hard on the bus journey up to Aberdeen or Inverness. By time he's slept through the game he's fine.

Really liked the Killie set up in their stadium boozer beforehand, both sets of fans having a couple of good natured pre match beers and a bit of chat and at least the club gets the cash rather than some pub chain.

• 3 months later...

In the past I've always been of the opinion summer football is utter shite, and I still have reservations over it, but my opinion is changing to an extent. I think for too long we've wanted to base ourselves on the likes of the Dutch, bringing in guys like Wotte to have a hand in running things, but given the likes of Holland have a population 3 times ours and that model was been an utter failure, surely we should now be looking to smaller more comparable nations like Iceland or Norway as a model of success?

Infact of the Scandinavian and Baltic nations, only Denmark run a winter season.

I think if we fail to make the World Cup qualifiers it is something we now seriously have to consider. So f**k if it interrupts a few grumpy fans golfing trips or days out in the beer garden.

In the past I've always been of the opinion summer football is utter shite, and I still have reservations over it, but my opinion is changing to an extent. I think for too long we've wanted to base ourselves on the likes of the Dutch, bringing in guys like Wotte to have a hand in running things, but given the likes of Holland have a population 3 times ours and that model was been an utter failure, surely we should now be looking to smaller more comparable nations like Iceland or Norway as a model of success?

Infact of the Scandinavian and Baltic nations, only Denmark run a winter season.

I think if we fail to make the World Cup qualifiers it is something we now seriously have to consider. So f**k if it interrupts a few grumpy fans golfing trips or days out in the beer garden.

We shouldn't base our game on a country three times bigger than Scotland but we should be looking at a country 16 times smaller?

Maybe their success is down to so many of their players moving to Holland at a young age, what do we do then?

The answer is simple - invade Holland.

This would all have worked out so differently had Darien panned out *sigh*

how many of their players play their football dmesticly? norway sweeden finland and iceland are all in or partly inside the arctic circle where winter football simply wouldnt be possible. apart from ireland the number of countrys running a summer program has decreased in recent years. i agree it sounds better in theory, if you were inventing football just now thats what youd do but that boat has sailed.

• 2 weeks later...

Iceland have a model that is built for bad weather. In addition to a summer season, they have more than double the indoor pitches we do in Iceland, 150 smaller artificial arenas as well, a model where kids can go out if the weather is good, but when the weather is rubbish, which it often is, they can continue to play on good surfaces indoors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd favour a start early, finish late season. Play 26th December and 1st January and the midweek. I'd break for the two weeks up to Christmas and perhaps 3 weeks after 1st January.

Aye so just to remind everyone. If we had our season played over the summer , the cup final would have likely been this weekend

You mean summer football wouldn't be played exclusively in our wonderful Scottish summer???!?!?!!!1111

So what? Of course some games will have bad weather and might even have to be postponed. Progress not perfection.

Also I'm not sure why cup final has to be played in December exactly. Other winter schedule countries have done their cup finals weeks ago, some in September even.

So what? Of course some games will have bad weather and might even have to be postponed. Progress not perfection.

Also I'm not sure why cup final has to be played in December exactly. Other winter schedule countries have done their cup finals weeks ago, some in September even.

The case for progress just isn't there though. Finishing the season at a lower level is the greater problem here, Elgin went 2 months without being able to play a home game last season, an extreme case but there's nothing which entices me about finishing the season in winter instead of late spring/summer.

I'd much rather we took a break for a couple of weeks before Christmas and add those weeks on in the summer months. By all means start the League Cup a bit earlier as well, but I just do see the case for a summer season.

The case for progress just isn't there though. Finishing the season at a lower level is the greater problem here, Elgin went 2 months without being able to play a home game last season, an extreme case but there's nothing which entices me about finishing the season in winter instead of late spring/summer.

I'd much rather we took a break for a couple of weeks before Christmas and add those weeks on in the summer months. By all means start the League Cup a bit earlier as well, but I just do see the case for a summer season.

Yep, I also prefer a winter break while starting earlier in the summer. My dream scenario would be a start in early / mid July, with a shorter 16 team league season. That said, I think both winter break and spring-autumn scenarios are progress compared to the current schedule.

Lower leagues with worse stadiums would just have to finish a bit earlier to be safe, I guess. They can play a few more mid-week games earlier in the season, and / or play through a few FIFA dates.

Archived