Summer Football

Yep, I also prefer a winter break while starting earlier in the summer. My dream scenario would be a start in early / mid July, with a shorter 16 team league season. That said, I think both winter break and spring-autumn scenarios are progress compared to the current schedule.

Lower leagues with worse stadiums would just have to finish a bit earlier to be safe, I guess. They can play a few more mid-week games earlier in the season, and / or play through a few FIFA dates.

Apart from ireland i think all the countries who run a summer program have shorter leagues and one cup. AFAIK no summer football country has such a long drawn out season as us

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from ireland i think all the countries who run a summer program have shorter leagues and one cup. AFAIK no summer football country has such a long drawn out season as us

I couldn't say about most, as I don't know. Norway has a short season. MLS on the other hand has a busy schedule in their summer season, 34 regular season games in 8 months and a bit, then 6 rounds of playoffs, so up to 40 league games depending on how your team performs. One cup with up to 5 games, continental competition with up to 10 games (5 MLS teams take part in that each year). Plus they have an all star weekend, so that's an extra game for main players. Plus they have various friendly cups with Euro teams in the middle of the season for money reasons. So 40 plus dates during the season is normal, it could be close to 60 in-season dates in theory, of course that never happens.

Personally I'd love the season to be shorter, although teams will never agree on that, since they can rarely agree on even much smaller things.

Anyway, I think it's doable. I think you guys are focused on flaws, when nothing is flawless. Rather, I think the argument should be of how we get rid of all these canceled games, that's no good to anyone. Would there be bad dates and canceled games under some summer structure? Ok, but fewer. Would the season have to start or end while it's still cold? Probably, but there would be less of these bad dates. So that's progress. Progress, not perfection.

I just don't see a good reason to have the current schedule, some of these games have to move to summer. If we agree on that, then the rest is just cosmetics, I think. Should we start in early / mid July and have a winter break, should we start at some point in winter and finish in November. I think this doesn't matter so much, it's much preferable either way over the current structure, IMO.

MLS isn't in UEFA. If you lift our program into a calendar year, adhering to UEFA & FIFA rules, dates, finals etc. it runs mid-January to mid-December. That would be totally pointless. Even judged on its own merits in isolation you hardly avoid any of the winter, but succeed in missing the festive period.

Other nations run Mar-Nov as they play 30 or fewer league games and just one cup. Eire haven't internationalists, thus play through breaks and finals.

MLS does play through less important FIFA dates, which I think isn't too bad. But I don't think it's necessary, just condense games a little bit in spring-summer period. In reality, they already condense schedule each year, due to cancellations and flooded pitches, they are just doing it impromptu, no good for anyone.

Aye so just to remind everyone. If we had our season played over the summer , the cup final would have likely been this weekend

The Norwegians seem to start their cup tournament in March and finish it in November. Could we accommodate that?

MLS isn't in UEFA. If you lift our program into a calendar year, adhering to UEFA & FIFA rules, dates, finals etc. it runs mid-January to mid-December. That would be totally pointless. Even judged on its own merits in isolation you hardly avoid any of the winter, but succeed in missing the festive period.

Other nations run Mar-Nov as they play 30 or fewer league games and just one cup. Eire haven't internationalists, thus play through breaks and finals.

Let's do that then - March to November. I'd miss the Xmas games but I'd get over it and probably have more fun watching English games in the pub.

Let's do that then - March to November. I'd miss the Xmas games but I'd get over it and probably have more fun watching English games in the pub.

Saturdays in winter would be rather bleak without the football to go to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saturdays in winter would be rather bleak without the football to go to.

Shirley someone with an ounce of nous and an eye on making a few bob could set up a winter indoor sevens league to keep us distracted?

Oops. Scottish fitba 'thorties we're talking about. My mistake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/28/2018 at 21:37, EdTheDuck said:

Well

This Beast from the East is the proof we need that Summer Football is not just desirable, it's absolutely imperative

except I have a feeling that our summer season would have started by now...

No it isn't. We had all of 0 games called off last season. In fact I think it's been about 8 years since we've had one called off due to the winter weather.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

No it isn't. We had all of 0 games called off last season. In fact I think it's been about 8 years since we've had one called off due to the winter weather.

Whoosh

• 1 month later...
On 07/12/2015 at 19:43, HibeeJibee said:

Exactly this.

The Summer v Winter argument is totally moot.

We already play summer football. Eiefa have already decided this is when outback teams start their European campaigns.

Aberdeen started durin the first week of Wimbledon. Rangers were a week or so before that. Some of our clubs now have competitive fixture in all 12 months of the year.

The debate is how to accommodate all the fixtures.

Personally I wouldn't keep the cups short and scheduled as they are at the moment. 

Have a longer break over winter am doing have the league start earlier to give our clubs some competitive games over summer.  

Alternatively, don't give our European qualifiers a bye throughout the group stages of the league cup.

Used to think if you played in summer it was for more Diddy leagues but we could hardly classify spfl as a top league. Changed my mind about summer football and think it's good idea to start about March time that way more people will attend games in better weather plus being mid way in a season will have teams far more ready for European qualifiers

Used to think if you played in summer it was for more Diddy leagues but we could hardly classify spfl as a top league. Changed my mind about summer football and think it's good idea to start about March time that way more people will attend games in better weather plus being mid way in a season will have teams far more ready for European qualifiers

We are definitely diddy enough for summer football. The problem then would be, how do you make life bearable in Scotland in winter? Do we all just sit in pubs watching English football?

Archived