Your best (and your worst!) player this season

This thread has been copied by the divisions above, and I make no apologies for that. It's just a bit of lighthearted fun, so back off.

BEST

This isn't really saying much give how rubbish Stenhousemuir have been this season but I've been very impressed with Gary Oliver's contribution so far. He looks too good for this level - he's technical, he's hardworking, he's got a good acceleration and he's a decent finisher. It sums up how poorly we've been when we're relying on a 19-year-old to create and score our goals.

WORST

There's a number of players that can vie for this position, from the young, ill-equipped jobbers to the older boys who've looked uninterested with everything that's going on. I'll go for Ross Meechan and Colin McMenamin. Meechan looks the part - he's a strapping young man, he's tall and athletic - but he's just not good enough for this level. His positioning and his lack of awareness is incredible. Thankfully he's been dropped and I can't imagine him returning to the team for some time. McMenamin's scored a couple of important goals - he netted twice in the 2-2 draw with Stranraer - but he doesn't do enough as a focal point or as a "role model" He rarely wins high balls or works the channels, and his attempts to act the hard man are embarrassing. The scenes at East End Park, where he was sent off for trying to punch the ball into the net, were pathetic.

That's my two cents, and you're welcome to them.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO:

Best -

Ryan Scully. Far too good for this level, has improved greatly over the last 15 months or so he's been on loan to us and is one of, if not thee, best goalie in the league.

Worst:

Difficult one. I'd not say anyone was particularly terrible consistently, but we've had some players who've dipped down in form for last season. If I had to put a name down, I'd say Gozie Ugwu. He's scored 4 goals and is our joint top scorer in the league, but is very clumsy (consistently making the same idiotic fouls, relieving teams of pressure, week after week). Also, the disobeying of orders a few weeks ago vs Forfar for the penalty incident has certainly gave him a mountain to climb to earn a new contract, which ends at the end of December, imo.

Best: McManus, livewire striker, enough pace and at least some weeks, the workrate to go with it to push opposition defences yards deeper and free up space for array of tippy-tappy sand-dancing midfielders to play in. Keeping him beyond the end of his loan deal in January is a must.

Worst: Would have gone for Lamie on the basis of the first few months but he;s not been a complete abortion recently. Would therefore go for Stefan McCluskey: a player who is hopelessly out of his depth at this level, and offers absolutely f**k-all menace to an opposition side.

Agree with dafcburty that the best player has been Scully. He has such a great future ahead of him. Second choice would be Buchanan, who has actually turned out to be our only good new signing of the summer.

Worst player? Most will say Ross Millen, yet considering i didn't have any great expectations for him this season i wouldn't place that tag upon him. I would actually say Moffat has been our worst player. Not based on ability, yet based on the fact he's been the biggest disappointment. We signed him (and on a pretty decent deal if rumours are to be believed) to score goals, yet El Bak and Ugwu have scored more league goals than him and looks a complete shadow of the player he was at Ayr.

edited as technically we did sign Scully in the summer, yet he wasn't a new player*

Best

Scully, closely followed by Buchanan.

Honourable mention to Faissal. Only one other player apart from him (Shaun Byrne) has scored in the league in the last five games.

Worst

It's a fierce contest. Guys who are proven decent players have looked utter dross. I'd give a joint award to Geggan and Moffat for their ability to miss every single chance that comes their way. If points were awarded for blazes, sclaffs and fluffs straight to the keeper then this pair would have the title wrapped up for us already.

Best - Scully, no real surprise in terms of new signings would say Buchanan. I think he should be our captain. Great defender and leader.

Worst - Where to begin...

Geggan has disappeared, Forbes has looked disinterested at times, Millen same old same old although I don't blame him he just doesn't have it but in terms of disappointment Moffat.

I thought he would go on to be top scorer but is trying to do too much, link up player and striker. He's a great player but used in the wrong way.

Most of the blame lies at the feet of the manager who isn't using them properly.

Best - Scott Fraser. By a country mile. Always looks for the ball, great vision, can pick out a pass, go round a man and chips in with the odd goal (albeit fortunate sometimes). What's not to like? Hoping we can keep him beyond January but he's certainly destined, in the same way that Craig Barr was, to play at a higher level.

Worst - Honourable mention to Lucas Ringstingl, who single-handedly miss-handled us out of a cup match. But the worst I've seen this season is David Proctor. Lauded by many on his return, looks to be overweight, lacking in pace and without the commanding presence or presence of mind to play as a centre back. A really, really disappointing signing thus far.

Best - Scully, the reason that despite our utter shiteness we are only 1 point off top.

Worst - Geggan, absolutely no coincidence that when were playing decent football before he was shoehorned back in.

Best: sandy Cunningham my gran could have played better than him against hurlford but every other game been brilliant only bad thing is his creativeness or Darren smith best passer in the team good at creating but isn't reliable

Worst: there is tons or players i could say Chris smith ,Gordon smith ,graham weir,dale Fulton .someone who is starting to play good is willie Robertson so unlucky to be on this list,Craig wedderburn or James creaney

Best: sandy Cunningham my gran could have played better than him against hurlford but every other game been brilliant only bad thing is his creativeness or Darren smith best passer in the team good at creating but isn't reliable

Worst: there is tons or players i could say Chris smith ,Gordon smith ,graham weir,dale Fulton .someone who is starting to play good is willie Robertson so unlucky to be on this list,Craig wedderburn or James creaney

You could have, you know, just not put him on the list?

I'll take all them (although feel you might be slightly harsh on C.Smith) and raise you Lewis Coult. The guy's been hopeless all season and I've yet to see him have a good game.

No mention for Lee Hamilton at Stirling Albion yet? one of the worst individual performances i have ever seen. Hard to imagine after seeing it that he is alright otherwise.

Archived