Airdrieonians vs Greenock Morton

After knocking you lot of of the cup yesterday we'll be looking for a similar result at the weekend to get 3 points. We've just beaten the top 2 in the league back to back so hopefully we can continue that form and get another win. I wasn't at the game yesterday but I'm hearing Airdrie aren't up to much.

I think the team should line-up: (4-1-2-1-2) Gaston, Russell, Milojevic, Crighton, Kilday, O'Ware, J.McCluskey, Craford, Scullion, Barrowman, McManus*

*McManus is away in international duty so we don't know if he'll be able to play. If he's unavailable we should push scullion up to support Barrowman and bring McKee back into midfield.

0-2 Away win.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what happened too mark Russell,he was not playing,and reese hands?

Reece Hands was injured in a development squad game and so was Mark Russell by the looks of it because he wasn't in the squad yesterday, unless he was just rested. If Russell has picked up a knock I'd start Allan at left back.

If we have our first choice defence back, than I'm confident we'll win this. Morton were dreadful in the first Scottish cup game and we were poor last night mainly due to playing a 3-5-2, a formation for which we don't have the players.

Revert back to the normal formation and my prediction is 3-1. Fanny about like last night, 0-1.

Airdrie were piss-poor in the league match at Cappielow, where presumably at least some of your Italy 2006-esque "first choice" made an appearance.

We still need McManus back in the side, as I doubt we'll keep another clean sheet in a row.

Airdrie were piss-poor in the league match at Cappielow, where presumably at least some of your Italy 2006-esque "first choice" made an appearance.

We still need McManus back in the side, as I doubt we'll keep another clean sheet in a row.

I never said these guys were "Italy-esque", in fact I've been less than complimentary about both, but I have more faith in the shape and balance of the side when these guys play. The fact is that playing Marc Fitzpatrick/Paddy Boyle as centre back doesn't work, as proven on Tuesday.

As I say, we played a lot better in the cup game in Greenock with our first choice. We should have beaten you then, I'm confident of doing so if they're back.

...And yet you played with those players in the league match and were honking. Not sure why one specific game out of the three contests between the sides has supposedly become the litmus test of where the respective sides are at, other than an understandable bout of cherry-picking.

The bookies have Morton as slight, odds-against favourites, which seems fair enough to me.

Were we "honking" in the league match? Or did we score first and have the better of the first half, eventually losing by one goal?

We stank to high heaven on Tuesday night, but the league match could have gone either way. On balance if we'd taken anything from it, it would probably have been slightly undeserved, but we weren't honking. Not by our standards.

...And yet you played with those players in the league match and were honking. Not sure why one specific game out of the three contests between the sides has supposedly become the litmus test of where the respective sides are at, other than an understandable bout of cherry-picking.

The bookies have Morton as slight, odds-against favourites, which seems fair enough to me.

I wasn't at the first league match so can't pass comment, however, I was at the Cappielow cup game where I thought we were dominant with the "Italy-esque" back four having not a lot to deal with.

The midweek cup game, as I've said, we played to a shape our players aren't used to and haven't the talent for.

I've been at the last 5 league games where we've played to a settled shape and looked better than we did earlier in the season. A big part of that has been a settled back four and the lad from Utd in the middle.

It's all quite straight forward and I don't see why you're getting so irked that I've confidence we can win this game.

The league game was 2 months ago, since then we've improved, had a settled team and before Tuesday were unbeaten in 5 including being the better team at Cappielow. All Pesadilla said was that if we have that team available, and not some mish mashed 3-5-2 with one centre back, then we've a decent chance of taking something.

Pretty basic stuff, not sure why it annoyed you so much.

After knocking you lot of of the cup yesterday we'll be looking for a similar result at the weekend to get 3 points. We've just beaten the top 2 in the league back to back so hopefully we can continue that form and get another win. I wasn't at the game yesterday but I'm hearing Airdrie aren't up to much.

I think the team should line-up: (4-1-2-1-2) Gaston, Russell, Milojevic, Crighton, Kilday, O'Ware, J.McCluskey, Craford, Scullion, Barrowman, McManus*

*McManus is away in international duty so we don't know if he'll be able to play. If he's unavailable we should push scullion up to support Barrowman and bring McKee back into midfield.

McManus can play and no Conor Pepper??

0-2 Away win.

I wonder how many will bother to turn up this time. The 650 or so on Tuesday was pretty depressing and it is not so long ago that a cup replay at Airdrie would have attracted at least three times that both in terms of home and away support. How long can that be sustainable? The Excelsior (or whatever it's called nowadays) is a nice stadium as modern stadia go, but it's a bit of a folly for a club that struggles to break 1,000 at home games.

An extreme example of the general malaise afflicting Scottish football.

I wonder how many will bother to turn up this time. The 650 or so on Tuesday was pretty depressing and it is not so long ago that a cup replay at Airdrie would have attracted at least three times that both in terms of home and away support. How long can that be sustainable? The Excelsior (or whatever it's called nowadays) is a nice stadium as modern stadia go, but it's a bit of a folly for a club that struggles to break 1,000 at home games.

I'd imagine we'll take around double the 250 or so we took on Tuesday.

Maybe if the Morton Supporters' Trust hadn't organised a fundraising dinner which kicks off a 7pm on Saturday night we could have expected a few more fans than will be in attendance from our side, but no, someone in their infinite wisdom decided that would be a great idea :1eye .

Archived