mark roberts

ayr

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was how he got rewarded for failure at the end of last season. He seems to have the most secure job in football although nobody can quite understand why.

Lachlan Cameron set Roberts the target of reaching the playoffs last season; Roberts achieved this and thus was given a new contract. Roberts has been told that the aim this season is promotion (amongst other things) and that a sustained period in the 'wrong' half of the table will result in termination of his contract; we're currently in the playoff positions and have been for the entirety of this season so far.

In short, it's blatantly obvious why his job is safe at the moment. The 'safest job in football' spiel is complete nonsense; it's been made very clear what is expected of Mark Roberts this season. He is currently satisfying the demands set out by Lachlan Cameron and as such has his support for the time being.

I'm not setting out to defend Mark Roberts, and if I were the chairman I'd be scrutinising the manager a lot more than Lachlan Cameron currently appears to be doing, but the fact of the matter is that Roberts is currently doing what has been asked of him and will be manager for as long as he continues to do so.

Lachlan wants out and has no appetite for running the club any longer. So the idea that he'd come back here to launch the search for a new manager is far fetched to say the least. Roberts would have been long gone under any normal board of directors, but we're a one man band and the conductor only flies back to watch us twice a season.

The only thing on Lachlan's agenda is selling up. We'd have to be staring relegation in the face before we saw even the hint of a move.

So does Roberts have the safest job in Scottish football? Absolutely. And it won't be changing any time soon.

Do you honestly believe that if we finish, say, 7th this season, thus fulfilling the chairman's criteria for replacing the manager, that Lachlan Cameron will rock up with a new contract for Roberts? He might not want to run the club any more but he's not stupid; Lachlan Cameron will know fine well that if he reneges on his own promise and offers Roberts a new deal on the sole grounds of him being too lazy to find a replacement he'll be absolutely vilified amongst our support, which is obviously not to his advantage.

Lachlan Cameron set Roberts the target of reaching the playoffs last season; Roberts achieved this and thus was given a new contract. Roberts has been told that the aim this season is promotion (amongst other things) and that a sustained period in the 'wrong' half of the table will result in termination of his contract; we're currently in the playoff positions and have been for the entirety of this season so far.

In short, it's blatantly obvious why his job is safe at the moment. The 'safest job in football' spiel is complete nonsense; it's been made very clear what is expected of Mark Roberts this season. He is currently satisfying the demands set out by Lachlan Cameron and as such has his support for the time being.

I'm not setting out to defend Mark Roberts, and if I were the chairman I'd be scrutinising the manager a lot more than Lachlan Cameron currently appears to be doing, but the fact of the matter is that Roberts is currently doing what has been asked of him and will be manager for as long as he continues to do so.

I can accept your point that you are not setting out to defend Mark Roberts. To do so would be laughable. The fact is that he kept his job on the basis of a very low target. Finishing fourth then getting turned over in the play-offs was a very poor outcome. In the aftermath of the Cowdenbeath defeat almost all Ayr fans were shocked at the offer of a contract extension. The contract extension was a serious misjudgement and it was down to a lack of ambition from the board. You will struggle to find an Ayr fan who has any confidence in Mark Roberts right now. His nickname should be Teflon.

4 Home defeats in a row is not a good sign.

be interested to hear opinions on why everyone believes we are better away from home,

I cannot comment as don't get to as many games as I would like too, is it anything to do with support at home/away? or are we tactically set up to play better away from home?

Dunfermline at home I thought the fans were fantastic (especially 2nd half) I believe that the players also responded with a more than decent performance, is the support always as supportive?

1 thing is for sure, home form will need to improve and nobody will know that more than Marko and his staff, Keep the Faith.... this division is a strange 1, no outstanding team.

From your experience can a manager actually play a part in whether a team is sufficiently motivated or not? Is it the case that a team, or players, won't play for a manager?

It seems to me at home we have been far too cautious and really not played much football. Roberts appears scared to have his players try and retain possession, and they don't seem to pass and move at all. Additionally, his assertion that tackling has been taken out of the game is infuriating.

Ayr have been punching well above their weight since the beginning of the season: their recent form isn't a surprise to anyone.

Their recent form isn't a surprise to anyone as we have experienced it under Mark Roberts for more than two years.

This doesn't deflect from the fact that you've been making a complete c**t of yourself on our threads, since the start of the season.

From your experience can a manager actually play a part in whether a team is sufficiently motivated or not? Is it the case that a team, or players, won't play for a manager?

It seems to me at home we have been far too cautious and really not played much football. Roberts appears scared to have his players try and retain possession, and they don't seem to pass and move at all. Additionally, his assertion that tackling has been taken out of the game is infuriating.

From my personal experience (and in my opinion) no professional footballer should need a managers motivation to go and try win a football match, its what we have done all our life.

neither have I played in a team that has never played for a manager either, collectively or individually..... I do not think this is possible.

The home/away split has nothing to do with fans and the level of backing they give. Up at Morton last week there was barely a peep from our support yet we turned in a great display. So that's just a myth.

From my personal experience (and in my opinion) no professional footballer should need a managers motivation to go and try win a football match, its what we have done all our life.

neither have I played in a team that has never played for a manager either, collectively or individually..... I do not think this is possible.

Bit off topic, but wee you a fan of Reid? I know a few players who called him Brian 'Fucking' Reid. Would be good to get a bit of an inside opinion on him.

David moyes man utd. Unless you mean it's not possible that you'd behave like that

The home/away split has nothing to do with fans and the level of backing they give. Up at Morton last week there was barely a peep from our support yet we turned in a great display. So that's just a myth.

Thanks for backing up my point

Bit off topic, but wee you a fan of Reid? I know a few players who called him Brian 'Fucking' Reid. Would be good to get a bit of an inside opinion on him.

#hold18 #getintothesedicks

Ayr have been punching well above their weight since the beginning of the season: their recent form isn't a surprise to anyone.

After tomorrow's Stranraer v Peterhead game we will be fifth in the third tier. If that is punching well above our weight I wouldn't want to contemplate our true level.

Archived