Immigration

DA Baracus

Does that include the illegal ones?

This is one of those lines people just spout without any real evidence, it's mere conjecture created to fit a particular opinion!

It is much more complicated than that, I'm sure many immigrants do contribute to society but I'm also not naive enough to believe that they all do.

What is inherently different about an immigrant?

They are people who work and wont to contribute to society.

Will some be criminals? Yes

Will some want to avoid tax? Yes

Will some be ill and rely on the NHS? Yes

But immigrants tend to be young people hungry for work - so of course they contribute more.

Go and find your own evidence.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine those British ex-pats are either working or retired, they certainly won't be claiming benefits or getting state health care in whichever country they live in.

So not really comparable at all.

Yes we do! Of course we do, we pay our taxes and are entitled to it.

Illegal immigrants are an entirely different matter - every effort should be made to remove them from the UK when they're detected.

Why not make them legal and collect their taxes?

Illegal immigrants are desperate people. But what they're desperate for is a chance to live in this country.

Just because we have scroungers that were born here doesn't mean we should wilfully accept other nations too.

I think we should be getting tougher on our own can't work, won't work lot instead of just trying to squeeze more sardines into an overcrowded tin.

I'm certainly not against immigration, my grandfather came from Ireland, I do have a problem with people who have no grasp on the realities of life trying to sell me a pup.

Just because we have scroungers that were born here doesn't mean we should wilfully accept other nations too.

I think we should be getting tougher on our own can't work, won't work lot instead of just trying to squeeze more sardines into an overcrowded tin.

I'm certainly not against immigration, my grandfather came from Ireland, I do have a problem with people who have no grasp on the realities of life trying to sell me a pup.

An overcrowded tin?

Put down the fucking Daily Mail.

There's plenty of space here chief.

Will some be criminals? Yes

Will some want to avoid tax? Yes

Will some be ill and rely on the NHS? Yes

This can easily apply to quite a few Brits.

Illegal immigrants are desperate people. But what they're desperate for is a chance to live in this country.

May as well just legalise all drugs here and tax the lot. Everyone's a winner. :rolleyes:

To do so would be completely unfair to immigrants who have gone through the appropriate process (and quite possibly encountered great difficulty) to come here. Then there are the others whose case isn't deemed strong enough and they are denied visas etc. It sends out the wrong message.

I agree they are desperate people. There are however desperate people in the UK - it doesn't mean any criminal actions they take can be excused.

Open borders would allow other countries pensioners to move here.

Uh huh: and how many pensioners are taking up the opportunity to leave Spain or Italy for a villa in rural Ayrshire?

Open borders has been a massive economic success for the UK, by shipping off our useless old biddies to the Mediterranean, while bringing in economically active Eastern Europeans and increasing the population. Anyone who can't grasp those basic, large-scale facts is a moron, really.

I would imagine those British ex-pats are either working or retired, they certainly won't be claiming benefits or getting state health care in whichever country they live in.

So not really comparable at all.

^^^ moron

Eh?

I'm pretty sure he meant EU.

Eh, he never said that.

As I quite clearly state, I am fully in favour of the current immigration policy. I don't think it needs altered at all.

The OP was advocating open borders, which is utter lunacy.

An overcrowded tin?

Put down the fucking Daily Mail.

There's plenty of space here chief.

It depends on what you determine plenty of space, personally I'd like the countryside to remain countryside.

Fortunately for me regardless of all this 'space' we have everyone seems to want to live on the same little bits.

Open borders has been a massive economic success for the UK, by shipping off our useless old biddies to the Mediterranean, while bringing in economically active Eastern Europeans and increasing the population. Anyone who can't grasp those basic, large-scale facts is a moron, really.

Not your greatest post.

Erm, we don't have open borders.

Useless old biddies? Can't beat a bit of ageism, and have all pensioners gone to the Med? Here's a hint, naw.

None of this should be taken to be against EU migrants who have indeed contributed to the economy.

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/fiscal-impact-immigration-uk

Archived