Immigration

DA Baracus

It's something I really don't care about in terms of it doesn't bother me at all. I fail to see why it's such an issue. Personally I think people should be allowed to travel to and stay in any country they like. I know this will be ridiculed and various reasons put forward as to why you think it's unworkable, but then this is a discussion forum and debate is always welcome.

The only border control I'd have is to stop criminal activity and to prevent the spread of disease/infection.

I think some have real concerns about the impact of immigration, but it seems to me that most people who oppose it or want to tighten controls are simply a bit, or a lot, of a racist.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Politics forum for this stuff.

The problem with what you say is simply the strain on public services.

Open borders are all well and good, but if you do that you either discriminate against migrants or you reduce public services like the NHS and benefits.

What would you rather? We can barely afford a welfare state for our own citizens. We certainly couldn't afford one for every person who came to our country and wanted healthcare and benefits if we had open borders.

Politics forum for this stuff.

The problem with what you say is simply the strain on public services.

Open borders are all well and good, but if you do that you either discriminate against migrants or you reduce public services like the NHS and benefits.

What would you rather? We can barely afford a welfare state for our own citizens. We certainly couldn't afford one for every person who came to our country and wanted healthcare and benefits if we had open borders.

If there's plenty of employment opportunities avbl then I don't see the problem with immigration. Lord knows Scotland needs someone to pay for our old b*****d pensioners.

If there's plenty of employment opportunities avbl then I don't see the problem with immigration. Lord knows Scotland needs someone to pay for our old b*****d pensioners.

Correct. I hate middle class pensioners to an almost visceral level. Winter fuel allowance claiming, bus pass waving, daily mail reading, disapproving, vote swinging, utter, utter c***s that they are.

I love the way that the racists UKIP types moan about EU immigration, whilst completely ignoring the fact that 2.2 million UK Citizens live in other countries. Let's see how the public services would deal with 2.2million folk being sent home if other EU nations had the same way of thinking as the racists UKIP types.

Open borders would allow other countries pensioners to move here.

I am pro EU immigration certainly, that has been great for our country. Open borders is simply lunacy though, does any politician anywhere support that?

It's something I really don't care about in terms of it doesn't bother me at all. I fail to see why it's such an issue. Personally I think people should be allowed to travel to and stay in any country they like. I know this will be ridiculed and various reasons put forward as to why you think it's unworkable, but then this is a discussion forum and debate is always welcome.

The only border control I'd have is to stop criminal activity and to prevent the spread of disease/infection.

I think some have real concerns about the impact of immigration, but it seems to me that most people who oppose it or want to tighten controls are simply a bit, or a lot, of a racist.

It can be done as long as we abandon the welfare state.

Is that what you want?

I love the way that the racists UKIP types moan about EU immigration, whilst completely ignoring the fact that 2.2 million UK Citizens live in other countries. Let's see how the public services would deal with 2.2million folk being sent home if other EU nations had the same way of thinking as the racists UKIP types.

That's the problem of Spain/France etc. Having never spent too much time in these places, there's every chance many there resent these immigrants and would happily send them back. Moaning about EU freedom of movement is hardly something confined to the UK.

Unlimited immigration would be a disaster, as would no immigration. You'd end up with either unsustainable population growth and pressure on public services or depopulation affecting the tax take. No matter what balance you strike between the two, you will always have people moaning about it.

That's the problem of Spain/France etc. Having never spent too much time in these places, there's every chance many there resent these immigrants and would happily send them back. Moaning about EU freedom of movement is hardly something confined to the UK.

Unlimited immigration would be a disaster, as would no immigration. You'd end up with either unsustainable population growth and pressure on public services or depopulation affecting the tax take. No matter what balance you strike between the two, you will always have people moaning about it.

I would imagine those British ex-pats are either working or retired, they certainly won't be claiming benefits or getting state health care in whichever country they live in.

So not really comparable at all.

Immigrants contribute more to society than they take out.

Simple as that.

European immigrants pay £8.8 billion more in tax than they consume in public services, total immigration accounts for a 1% increase in GDP and the deficit would be 16 billion pounds larger without the contributions made to the UK economy by immigrants.

Also, typical Brits...

post-13234-0-19447000-1414154342_thumb.j

Immigrants contribute more to society than they take out.

Simple as that.

Does that include the illegal ones?

This is one of those lines people just spout without any real evidence, it's mere conjecture created to fit a particular opinion!

It is much more complicated than that, I'm sure many immigrants do contribute to society but I'm also not naive enough to believe that they all do.

Does that include the illegal ones?

This is one of those lines people just spout without any real evidence, it's mere conjecture created to fit a particular opinion!

It is much more complicated than that, I'm sure many immigrants do contribute to society but I'm also not naive enough to believe that they all do.

Are you completely thick? Nobody said they all do, it was claimed they are a net benefit to society and there is plenty evidence for that.

I wonder how the percentage of 'UK Citizens' on benefits compares to immigrants on benefits? It would not surprise me in the slightest if the former are the greater blight on the country. Of course, it's probably much easier to point to an immigrant on benefits and blame them for the country's shortcomings.

European immigrants pay £8.8 billion more in tax than they consume in public services, total immigration accounts for a 1% increase in GDP and the deficit would be 16 billion pounds larger without the contributions made to the UK economy by immigrants.

Also, typical Brits...

attachicon.gifsurvey.jpg

That image popped up in my facebook feed - pretty shocking stuff. I know you should question the legitimacy, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it was true.

"- Immigration: some 31 per cent of the population is thought to consist of recent immigrants, when the figure is actually 13 per cent. Even including illegal immigrants, the figure is only about 15 per cent. On the issue of ethnicity, black and Asian people are thought to make up 30 per cent of the population, when the figure is closer to 11 per cent."

Survey shows British public wrong about nearly everything.

Archived