Immigration

DA Baracus

All this said... rather than saying "all immigration is bad", is the main argument just now not about a change to the system where we can admit applicants on a case by case basis rather than having 'open borders' to a chunk of the world? For supporters of this, they'd say that this would let those in who will actually contribute whilst cutting out those who do not, making immigration this way even more beneficial.

Ah, so open borders does not mean open borders?

It's quite easy to read between the lines unless you're looking to highlight any petty technicality just to point score and derail the thread.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of completely open borders is good but the idea of no borders is even better.

So one worldwide set of laws for everybody? You'd be all for it if the Chinese had a massive influence to take us towards communism and laws inherited from the U.S. and elsewhere allowed any mink in your street to own a gun?

Being an immigrant is fantastic, especially when people start talking about how much of a problem immigrants are.

I spent 6 months over here unemployed. Didn't claim a thing and paid for myself out of savings and support from my other half. Now that I have a job and I am earning money, I am paying higher rates of tax than the Swiss would(Changes in 3 years when I get my full permit rather than the current 5 year one), rent a flat which essentially pays part the pension of the old couple who own it, spend money in the local pubs, restaurants and shops, and probably contribute more to my local environment than the majority of the jakey looking, right wing, xenophobic "You foreigners are ruining Switzerland" types of whom there are quite a high proportion of here. For some reason you never hear them complaining about the girls at their local brothel being foreign when they moan about having to go there because us foreign types are taking all their women.

Anyway, Scotland needs more immigration.

The referendum build up was also quite good fun when Scots living in the rUK said "I don't want to be a foreigner all of a sudden" and somebody asked them "erm, what's wrong about being a foreigner?".

The inability to answer from many just showed that they had a deep rooted dislike of foreigners and simply couldn't stand the thought of being one themselves.

Archived