It's all kicking off in Canada

13 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

If you are playing in a backyard rink or on a frozen pond (shinny) then it's not too expensive as you don't need all the pads and gear, you just need skates, a stick, and a helmet (or at least it's a good idea for kids to have helmets).  If a kid wants to play in an organized league in a proper arena then you are looking at close to a thousand dollars worth of equipment for a skater, probably close to 2 grand for a goalie, plus huge league fees.  And kids will often need that gear replaced every year as they grow.  

I had the whole shibang of kit. Felt like a right dick turning up the first time when most of the kids had what you said. Handy though as I continually fell over the first few times, even with the stick.

Edited by welshbairn

Play at the Scotia bank centre.... about 10 mins from me.
Think they used to play at the Halifax forum which is a bit closer.... 2 mins away.
Don't know how good or bad they are though.... don't follow hockey much.
Was meant to go to a Moosehead v cape Breton game a while back, But had to cancel due to work.
That's the closest I've been to going.

I went to a Mooseheads v Moncton Wildcats game at the Scotia Centre. Was pretty dull imo.

Mooseheads lost and looked a bit rubbish, hence they fulfilled a major requirement in getting me to 'follow' them.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

About 300 grand, if you want your wean to reach the stage of being able to pay it back: http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/selling-the-dream-raising-the-next-great-hockey-star-comes-with-a-heavy-price-tag

For all the shit American football at the youth level is getting in the media, it seems to be the only sport left in North America where you can make a run at the pros without bankrupting your parents or having someone bankroll you. It's probably because of the limited number of games you can play safely and the fact that it might be the sport where raw talent is viewed as most important compared to specific skills. You can be from a small town in West Virginia, never play for a team outside your town all through high school, but if you have the raw skills colleges from all over the country will be breathing down your neck. And you won't have to pay more than a nominal fee to play at any point in your youth career. If you do good enough in college you will play in the NFL. That simple path is still available to most American football players.

3 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

For all the shit American football at the youth level is getting in the media, it seems to be the only sport left in North America where you can make a run at the pros without bankrupting your parents or having someone bankroll you. It's probably because of the limited number of games you can play safely and the fact that it might be the sport where raw talent is viewed as most important compared to specific skills. You can be from a small town in West Virginia, never play for a team outside your town all through high school, but if you have the raw skills colleges from all over the country will be breathing down your neck. And you won't have to pay more than a nominal fee to play at any point in your youth career. If you do good enough in college you will play in the NFL. That simple path is still available to most American football players.

Gridiron football teams often have sets of equipment that players can borrow and are re-used.  You can get away with having pads that don't quite fit because the speeds you are moving at on your feet are much slower than the speeds you move at on skates on ice.  Plus grass is softer than ice and there are no boards

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-up-patrols-near-cn-tower-1.4743828

Scandalously Facebook won't let me check in as safe yet but apparently the police know something but like a schoolgirl won't share it with anything. A state of mass apathy has set in across the Greater Toronto Area. All I can gather so far from Facebook is that Justin Trudeau is 100% responsible and only a libtard snowflake would disagree. So please #prayfortoronto just in case