Hiring a minibus

Does anyone know of any companies in Glasgow, that rent out minbuses. The driver (my friend) is 23 and just has a basic driving license. According to the yougov website this allows him to drive a minibus assuming it's just for social purposes, which it is. Previous companies have either said the driver must be older, and another that they must have the D1 driving license.

So just if anyone knows of any companies that don't have these policies.

Cheers

Have you considered contacting the minibus companies? Radical I know but they might just have more of a clue than a P&B type who could be from anywhere in Scotland and thus not have a deep understanding of the Glasgow minibus hiring scene

Guest The Phoenix

It is common practice for a lot of companies to indicate that they will not hire out to persons that didn't OAS their test before a certain date (1997 I think).

This is because prior to that date (or whatever the correct date is!) the standard licence entitled the holder to drive a minibus and post that it doesn't automatically cover that.

Presuming you don't have a D1 on your licence (i.e. passed your test on or after January 1998). You can drive a minibus (9+ seat) if you're over 21 and held a full licence for 2+ year, so long as its not for hire or reward. Basically if you're not getting paid.

Does anyone know of any companies in Glasgow, that rent out minbuses. The driver (my friend) is 23 and just has a basic driving license. According to the yougov website this allows him to drive a minibus assuming it's just for social purposes, which it is. Previous companies have either said the driver must be older, and another that they must have the D1 driving license.

So just if anyone knows of any companies that don't have these policies.

Cheers

I thought you could only drive a car with a basic licence if you passed after a certain year 1998 I think.

Archived