Linlithgow Rose v Raith Rovers

Rovers1992/1993

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuine question. Whats the origin's of the chant "hail the gallant rosy posy"?

It was written in November 1964 by a local worthy. No real history behind it other than that. The Rose were flying at the time and even that early in the season it was pretty evident the team they had put together was going to sweep the boards. I guess it stemmed from that enthusiasm. Because it's 50 years old now some of the lyrics are a tad quaint but there are times when you should stick with the roots someone laid down long before and f**k what anyone else thinks of the words. There will be some updated verses coming out soon to mark the original version.

Not much to add to what has been said. We were pretty brutal in the first half and Linlithgow had a few good chances to score. McGurn kept us in it. Second half a combination of us improving and Linlithgow fading meant that we shaded it I thought. The penalty was a penalty all day long. Not sure why the boy made the challenge as Stewart was going nowhere. After that we saw out the game comfortably.

Rose played well especially in the first half but never did enough to win the game so there's a danger folk are romanticising how good they were. In the end it was a grubby 2-0 win but it's the cup so all you can ask is to get through. Have seen Rovers lose to lower league opposition many a time so not going to get too churlish about the performance, especially when you consider that Rose will have raised their game for what was effectively their cup final. If we play like that again though we won't be in this cup for long.

Overall it was a great away day. Linlithgow is a great place and the Rose fans I chatted to before and after the game were all decent. Managed to sample five pubs from the station to the ground and back. Almost made it six but the Lithgae had run out of beer. Only downside was that Andy Chung was on so late and we had to leave before he came on as the pints had got the better of us by then. Great day out.

A good support, probably 500. Pubs were very busy with Raith fans before the game.

Loved that today.

Hope we experience similar over next few years now that we are a full fledged SFA affiliated member.

Good luck to Raith in next round

Sorry for going over old ground, but are Linlithgow ever likely to consider a move to the seniors? If both yourselves and Bo'ness made the jump simultaneously you'd keep the derby and get many more days like yesterday through the league structure.

Got it in a oner. Can only see us going for it if Boness do too.

Why though? No offence but I just don't see the point of wanting to stay junior it all seems rather pointless, surely you'd want to try and push the club as high up as they could possibly go in the Scottish game regardless of whether Bo'ness wanted to or not?

Why though? No offence but I just don't see the point of wanting to stay junior it all seems rather pointless, surely you'd want to try and push the club as high up as they could possibly go in the Scottish game regardless of whether Bo'ness wanted to or not?

In the last round.dalbeattie fans came on the team bus.and I think there were still empty seats.

On a defensive note Gary Thom let Rose down twice, firstly for committing to a challenge that he didn't need to and secondly for his classless outburst claiming that it was a dive for the penalty. I was well sighted behind the goal and so had an excellent view of the incident, he took Stewarts feet (well foot) from him when there was really no need.

The guy's quote about it being hard for the ref to see it but his linesman should've helped is ridiculous in itself. I'm almost certain the linesman was on the far side from the incident. Trying (unsuccessfully) to pass the buck for giving away a stonewall penalty.

What an outstanding performance by linlithgow yesterday and should have been 3 or 4 up at half time.You lads should be proud of your team and hold your heads high after that game.We on the other hand were shite and some were a disgrace to the jersey.I dont know what is going on down there either on the pitch or the boardroom as its getting worse.I thought last week against alloa especially in the 2nd half but yesterday was worse.The fans have every right to criticise the players especially when you seem kicking the ball out of play or playing long high punts to midgets.We then have elliott swanning about like billy big time or scott booting the ball up the park and into touch.The best player for rose was the number 11 i thought who got the ball and ran at the rovers defence at every opportunity which made them panic.Next week at tynecastle could be an embarressment if we play like how we did yesterday.Not good enough and certainly not enjoyable just now.The only good thing yesterday was the day out as the staff in the football andcricketers arms looked after us although they didnt open till 11.10 :( All the best to the rose for the rest of the season.

Sorry for going over old ground, but are Linlithgow ever likely to consider a move to the seniors? If both yourselves and Bo'ness made the jump simultaneously you'd keep the derby and get many more days like yesterday through the league structure.

I think that what senior fans don't seem to get is that our set up is far better for the fan than the spfl. We are regionalised. I honestly think if the SFA, SPFL etc introduced a top two leagues then regions below that, you'd see a pretty quite sign up to it.

The reality is that we just aren't going to take bus loads to Elgin and Stranraer. The junior supports enjoy a local tie and thats where clubs would benefit more (the more local, the more chance of both "home" supports attending the game).

I think regionalisation is a no brainer and is financially a lot more viable than the current suggestion. I just do not see the appeal of playing East Kilbride Thistle and Gala Fairydean (no disrespect intended) than Bo'ness and Camelon. We are talking the difference of a 300 gate and a 1000+ gate, it'd be financial suicide for some of the top junior sides.

I would love to see a regionalised structure and would love to see the Rose being right behind it. I think the money we've spent on our SFA license shows the clubs future intent and hopefully in the not too distant future we'll see you guys more often.

Personally I hate the regionalisation of the Challenge Cup early rounds. Same block of teams to play every year. Boring.

What's even more boring is bobbing around 7th in the same league for five years playing Falkirk for the 18th time.

It was written in November 1964 by a local worthy. No real history behind it other than that. The Rose were flying at the time and even that early in the season it was pretty evident the team they had put together was going to sweep the boards. I guess it stemmed from that enthusiasm. Because it's 50 years old now some of the lyrics are a tad quaint but there are times when you should stick with the roots someone laid down long before and f**k what anyone else thinks of the words. There will be some updated verses coming out soon to mark the original version.

Cheers for that HTG and good luck in the future

Personally I hate the regionalisation of the Challenge Cup early rounds. Same block of teams to play every year. Boring.

What's even more boring is bobbing around 7th in the same league for five years playing Falkirk for the 18th time.

I disagree with many of the Rose support. I can't see how we can improve much on yesterday for as long as we play in a grade where there is almost zero funding available. The crowds are misrepresented. There are 2 or 3 teams at most who bring a good crowd to prestonfield and when we go away from home I wonder how most of these teams survive. We're not going to get best v best in the juniors because the West teams are just not interested.

I wish the sfa would actually do something to drive out a unified non league solution instead of fannying about pretending that they've got a solution when many of the best non league teams are not in the pyramid. It's painfully obvious that the game would be better served with teams like the Rose, Bo'ness, Talbot, Meadow or Hurlford in the pyramid.

Fair point, but theres a difference between that and North, East and West. We have a 16 team league which spans from Tayport to Haddington to Sauchie. The amount of teams in that region if you include seniors would mean loads of variety and if you got promoted into SPL2 or whatever you'd get a crack at it.

Given the size of our support, stagnating in div3/2 and never being able to compete for anything of note for me is the issue. It would be changing the whole ethos of our club. We are used to competing and winning things, I fear for what would happen if we are scrapping away playing in a declining league structure.

Cups need to be introduced at different levels to stimulate more support and as I said, more local games equals larger crowds overall.

The juniors have been proactive over the last decade, we've seen 2 restructures and as such the level of football has got better and support has increased. This would never happen in senior football as all that matters is TV money and The Ugly Sisters income. Its the smaller clubs that are shafted through that system and I'm glad that in a way we avoid that.

At the moment we have a competitive and progressive football league and now also compete in the a scottish cup. What would the third div offer us?

The 3rd division would give you the chance to push your club as high as they could possibly go in Scottish football, I personally couldn't think of anything worse than supporting a club that would be stuck in the juniors forever going nowhere and playing junior teams, I want to see my club try to push up as high in the league system as we possibly can.

I think that what senior fans don't seem to get is that our set up is far better for the fan than the spfl. We are regionalised. I honestly think if the SFA, SPFL etc introduced a top two leagues then regions below that, you'd see a pretty quite sign up to it.

The reality is that we just aren't going to take bus loads to Elgin and Stranraer. The junior supports enjoy a local tie and thats where clubs would benefit more (the more local, the more chance of both "home" supports attending the game).

I think regionalisation is a no brainer and is financially a lot more viable than the current suggestion. I just do not see the appeal of playing East Kilbride Thistle and Gala Fairydean (no disrespect intended) than Bo'ness and Camelon. We are talking the difference of a 300 gate and a 1000+ gate, it'd be financial suicide for some of the top junior sides.

I would love to see a regionalised structure and would love to see the Rose being right behind it. I think the money we've spent on our SFA license shows the clubs future intent and hopefully in the not too distant future we'll see you guys more often.

A lot of good points here. I think Linlithgow are capable of playing at a higher level but I'm really torn if I want them to. To explain, I think that after the first few season senior until the point where we 'find our level' it would be an adventure and quite exciting. The novelty factor of visiting new places and hosting new teams at Prestonfield keeping interest, and crowds high. After that though the SPFL would, in my opinion, quickly become stale.

The town and it's catchment isn't going to support a Pemier League team with the investment required to support one (is the nonsense of all-seater stadiums still current?) so lower leagues and part-time players only this time without local derbies and national travel to look forward to. Look at the crowds in the 4/5 tiers and it isn't an attractive proposition for me at least.

Like it or not we are a big fish in the juniors and are likely to be at the business end of most of the competitions we enter - winning stuff attracts interest and players also like winning silverware and fans get the bragging rights for a while. Bragging about coming 4th in league 2 doesn't seem so appealing.

And thats fair enough too, but we know the size of our club. We've been in existence since the 1800s. If you look at the leagues and size of clubs, we'd be a mid 2nd division team for me.

These clubs have no balls and that showed when next to no restructure happened when Rangers collapsed. Happy just to take a couple games revenue from them on the way up and some TV money. When they get back to the SPL the rest of the leagues will go back to rotting away again. I have no interest in being part of a league structure like that unless it changed radically.

Its not as if we totally dominate the juniors, far from it. We are in a system where numerous clubs win the silverware and its very competitive.

As I mentioned above though, a bit restructure and I'd be for it.

A lot of good points here. I think Linlithgow are capable of playing at a higher level but I'm really torn if I want them to. To explain, I think that after the first few season senior until the point where we 'find our level' it would be an adventure and quite exciting. The novelty factor of visiting new places and hosting new teams at Prestonfield keeping interest, and crowds high. After that though the SPFL would, in my opinion, quickly become stale.

The town and it's catchment isn't going to support a Pemier League team with the investment required to support one (is the nonsense of all-seater stadiums still current?) so lower leagues and part-time players only this time without local derbies and national travel to look forward to. Look at the crowds in the 4/5 tiers and it isn't an attractive proposition for me at least.

Like it or not we are a big fish in the juniors and are likely to be at the business end of most of the competitions we enter - winning stuff attracts interest and players also like winning silverware and fans get the bragging rights for a while. Bragging about coming 4th in league 2 doesn't seem so appealing.

Does that mean the door should always be closed? Should we never test our level?

Frankly I can see why clubs who do put the money into meeting the higher standards required of them and watch clubs stroll in from the juniors, paying little heed to those standards but lifting the money just the same.

Archived