Linlithgow Rose v Raith Rovers

Rovers1992/1993

We were just utter dross, and can see why we've lost so many games by losing 4/5 goals this season, as we should've been 3-0 at half time had any of their attackers had a decent left foot.

1 positive I took from today was being so close to the pitch you can hear the abuse our players give to one another and management, not a happy bunch at all!

I cannot praise Linlithgow enough, had a proper go at us from the start, and were still having a right old go of it in 90th minute.

Was a definite penalty, and the second goal was the first time the Linlithgow defender let Watson have a free run at the front post so in my view the 2 mistakes they made they were punished.

Was very impressed with the way Linlithgow played thought the game, proper football didn't panic and were neat and quick with the ball.

All the very best in your league campaign.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went along to this as a semi neutral - the wee lad plays for Rose boys club, and I was hoping to see Rovers shown up after they beat Livi the other week. And shown up they were.

They deserved to win the game purely because they took their chances, that much is indisputable, but by Christ their standard of play was abysmal. If the long diagonal doesn't work after the first twenty attempts, f**k it, the 21st will work eh? Watson and Perry were troubled constantly by the Rose 9 and 11, in fact how Watson wasn't booked I'll never know. I could probably slate every one of the Rovers side (bar McGurn, who was exceptional) but it seems the Rovers fans know where the issues are.

Highlight of the day for me was the Rose guy in the suit bellowing instructions to the bench from across the pitch - "Danny, get the subs warmed up! DANNY, GET THE BLOODY SUBS WARMED UP!" This was the same guy who directed the coach load of Rovers fans into the Social club before the game, so I assumed he must be a staff member of some sort - but no, he's just a fan. Outstanding.

Disappointment of the day was not going over to say hello to Zen - my excuse was I was with my son, and I didn't want him seeing what a real man was like, leaving me feeling totally inadequate.

I wasn't at the game as I didn't finish until two so can I start this post by apologising to lithgierose for my non-attendance. Fine cigars and German cars won't buy themselves, eh?

Having watched the highlights it does appear as though better finishing from Linlithgow would have had us in serious bother. Thankfully that didn't materialise but you have to worry about next week's game against a Hearts side who will finish chances like that all day long.

Good luck to Linlithgow for the rest of their season. Suppose it's a nice wee compliment that a cup winning footballing behemoth like RRFC considered them a legitimate banana skin.

They deserved to win the game purely because they took their chances, that much is indisputable, but by Christ their standard of play was abysmal. If the long diagonal doesn't work after the first twenty attempts, f**k it, the 21st will work eh? Watson and Perry were troubled constantly by the Rose 9 and 11, in fact how Watson wasn't booked I'll never know. I could probably slate every one of the Rovers side (bar McGurn, who was exceptional) but it seems the Rovers fans know where the issues are.

Highlight of the day for me was the Rose guy in the suit bellowing instructions to the bench from across the pitch - "Danny, get the subs warmed up! DANNY, GET THE BLOODY SUBS WARMED UP!" This was the same guy who directed the coach load of Rovers fans into the Social club before the game, so I assumed he must be a staff member of some sort - but no, he's just a fan. Outstanding.

It's been interesting to read the number of neutral fans at this game who, in space of 90 minutes, picked up on the faults we've been moaning about for months. Nobody does the long diagonal like us.

I thought the guy in the suit must be a club official. The way he was ordering the players who to pick up at corners it was as if he genuinely expected them to listen to him. Some guy.

It's been interesting to read the number of neutral fans at this game who, in space of 90 minutes, picked up on the faults we've been moaning about for months. Nobody does the long diagonal like us.

I thought the guy in the suit must be a club official. The way he was ordering the players who to pick up at corners it was as if he genuinely expected them to listen to him. Some guy.

He's something of an enthusiast. You'll be unsurprised that he goes by the nickname of "Coach". Passionate fellow who has been a driving force behind our supporters club for years now. He's recently moved back to the Aberdeen area so when he's down he makes up for any enforced absence. In fact, with a prevailing north wind behind him he can still be heard ...

Had a blether with the suited guy. Got a mouthful of his slavers as well (nothing sexual, his enthusiasm just caused him to lose control of his saliva). Someone said he played for Aberdeen during their glory years in the 80's. Truth or shite?

Seen Bodge enter the ground yesterday and the first thing that exited his mouth was "what the f**k is this!?!?". Quite liked the ground myself.

Exactly this & its exactly why the sooner Murray gets to fook the better ... Everybody within 90 minutes can see our flaws, how we play, what doesnt work & why, yet Murray sets up and plays the same way for 90 minutes every single week whether its Vs 11 men or Vs 10 men, the man is an absolute doughnut.

On another note, possession doesn't win football, end of discussion. Most of the season ticket holders who watch our dross week in and week out know we where poor, very poor, we also know Rose dominated the first half and had they taken their chances things would have been different ... However they didn't, good try lads, but unlucky, so a few should settle !

I'm glad a few more are seeing the light with Elliot, told several fans on this Board over the last few weeks Elliot is absolute dung & has been for the last year during his somewhat disrupted run, the "we need Elliot/Nade back" talks are pointless as it wont improve us one bit ... The problem lies with the Coaches and we wont get better until thats resolved.

Unhappy with that performance and well done to a battling Rose but as I say, job done, embarrassed to say it but meh .... Now onto Hearts, here comes a 4/5/6/7-0 skelping ....

Raith never had a player that was willing to actually take the ball and drive at the opposition where Rose had two or three that caused numerous problems which they should have scored from.The one Raith player I thought would cause problems was the number 7 but all they done was shell diagonals to him which the Rose left back easily dealt with in fact he had him in his back pocket the whole game.I really surprised how poor Raith were considering they lie fifith in the Championship I expected an Awfully lot more from them.The Post from Munich95 was very gracious in his comments about the Rose the whole club has worked extremely hard over the years to get where they are today

Raith never had a player that was willing to actually take the ball and drive at the opposition

I've been harping on about this since June. We lost Cardle, Baird and Booth who would do this, and replaced them with McKeown (must be double figures now the amount of neutrals who've said he's awful) and Conroy who isn't bad but I'm not sure he's taken a man on yet. And Baird was never really replaced.

We beat Rangers and Hibs last season in the cups (and were robbed by Hearts) because of those kind of players. This season we solely have Anderson (number 7) who is good but we always lump the ball at him and don't play to his feet. And we keep getting scudded from the very same teams. Not a coincidence.

I like the VERY ACURATE stats that are posted on this thread, must have been a real shiter of a game if nobody completed a pass.

Take it Linlithgow dragged Raith down to their level?

I thought the Rose were by far the better team for the first hour and we should have been 2 up at least. Looking back I think it was the classic big team v wee team scenario, we see it all the time when teams play us, play really well yet ultimately lose.

Cracking day out and good luck in the next round ( I feel you will need it )

Goals win games, we got them and LR didn't and history will forever show that fact. What won't be on record is that Raith wore stripy shirts and should have had masks on too because that was nothing short of daylight robbery at Prestonfield yesterday. Had the Rose taken even half of their chances then they still have won the game quite comfortably.

LR had more of the ball and did far more with it than a putrid Raith Rovers side who are utterly horrible to watch just now. Defensively LR didn't look too great (IMO) but coming forward they were miles better than Rovers who looked to have a team full of duffers on the park. McGurn and perhaps Watson apart Raith did indeed have a team full of wage thieves who if investigated as footballers would have been done under the Trades descriptions act! On the one hand Vaughan came on and again showed that he is eager and willing and on the other there's Elliot.....

The players and fans of LRFC though they must be gutted can hold their heads high, far higher than any of the opposition who like myself sloped away from West Loathian, even had it ended requiring a replay would have been a harsh result for Rose.

On a defensive note Gary Thom let Rose down twice, firstly for committing to a challenge that he didn't need to and secondly for his classless outburst claiming that it was a dive for the penalty. I was well sighted behind the goal and so had an excellent view of the incident, he took Stewarts feet (well foot) from him when there was really no need.

Archived