Is it a law that all nurses have to smoke?

DA Baracus

No. My girlfriend is a nurse and is surprised by how many nurses she knows who do smoke though. She can't believe they smoke considering they probably see more than most how much of an impact it has on one's health.

They also see all the other horrible ways of dying though. We've all got to go.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually poor practice for doctors to have shite/illegible handwriting. They are encouraged to write clearly or in block capitals.

However putting that in practice isn't feasible when you consider the time restraints doctors are often under.

A mate I was at uni with is a doctor and he does that with everything he writes. Get a Christmas card from him and the entire thing is in block capitals.

A mate I was at uni with is a doctor and he does that with everything he writes. Get a Christmas card from him and the entire thing is in block capitals.

I actually write in block capitals as well. But this is because in 4th year my English teacher told me my handwriting was shit.

I actually write in block capitals as well. But this is because in 4th year my English teacher told me my handwriting was shit.

I used to have really good handwriting at school, but then I spent years at uni writing lecture notes in shorthand and very messily (a mixture of trying to write quickly and not caring what it looked like as I was the only one reading them). Now I'm working and my handwriting needs to actually be read by other people I'm really struggling to write legibly again. Maybe block capitals is the answer.

It was sitacia!

Is that that disease you get from sitting in junior football clubs social clubs and drinking pints, as opposed to the painful neuro sensation in the leg?

Only kidding Sarge, you meant it, I think ;)

My own theory about the handwriting is that, especially for the older guys when all notes were handwritten there was so much to be scribled down per lecture that their ability to write legibly never recovered.

It's actually poor practice for doctors to have shite/illegible handwriting. They are encouraged to write clearly or in block capitals.

However putting that in practice isn't feasible when you consider the time restraints doctors are often under.

They're only under time restraints because your average consultant is on the golf course or in a private hospital far more than they are in your local district general.

Doctors should be made to cut out letters from newspapers and glue them onto the prescription forms, the way kidnappers do with ransom letters. It's the only way that we can be sure.

You know those bollocks captcha security things are apparently easier read by computer than human, despite that being the exact opposite of what they are supposed to do?

Surely there's an electronic system that can turn handwriting so bad no human can read it into legible block text.

They need to find something to occupy themselves when not tucking into boxes of Quality Street.

Are you valiantly trying to fill the Dickson-sized void in these threads? Good for you. That's the Blitz Spirit shining through.

In all fairness the nurses do get a lot of Roses, Quality Street and the likes handed in. I was guilty of it myself when my daughter was taken in.

They should have signs up, like when you go to the zoo: DO NOT FEED THE NURSES!

The public are responsible for over-feeding them with confectionery. The smoking is all down to the nurses. Filthy habit. They should have it written into their contracts that they can only vape.

My mum was a nurse for 40 years. In that time she's injected folk with the wrong drugs, broken old folk's bones when she's dropped them, scarred folk for life with dodgy stitching, scalded folk with boiling water, given them chemical burns by using the wrong bottle of lotion and left folk in agony without painkillers cos she forgot

The only time in 40 years she faced a disciplinary meeting was when she was caught smoking outside a hospital.

My mum was a nurse for 40 years. In that time she's injected folk with the wrong drugs, broken old folk's bones when she's dropped them, scarred folk for life with dodgy stitching, scalded folk with boiling water, given them chemical burns by using the wrong bottle of lotion and left folk in agony without painkillers cos she forgot

The only time in 40 years she faced a disciplinary meeting was when she was caught smoking outside a hospital.

Which concentration camp was she at?

Archived